16 button concertina on ebay

I was assuming it was a very basic Jedcertina but maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't like to say what it is with that key layout, but (if it does have piano-fingering) George Jones called them his "Newly Improved Piano Concertinas" and the Jedcertina didn't come along until a long time later.

Only, whoever heard of a piano without C, C#, D or Eb keys on it? :huh:

My best guess it a row in c with appropriate lachenal type buttons from a 26 key. Play in C sure, but adding a C#, Bb, G#, D# and maybe instead of alternate direction A/G buttons you get an F#/ G#. If so could play C, G, D and the minors. One of "Us" should own it I think.

I am not sure whether I qualify as 'One of Us' (see above) but have bought the concertina under discussion. the following observations may be of interest;

- # 16340 (can anyone date this).

- G Jones, Commercial Rd stamped in end (not trade made stamped on handle).

- Mahogany ends.

- Structurally, it seems to be a standard Jones Anglo; hardwood action pan, rivetted action on fishtail posts.

- Wood screws rather than bolts.

- Mixture of brass and steel reeds in screwed brass shoes.

- Layout (I have taken notes from reed shoes and not yet checked them with tuner) seems to be based around C (red on attached layout) with accidentals on upper left row and mixture on right hand (see below).

- No marks suggesting that this was a 20b that was aletered to be a 16b.

Whilst the left hand makes some sense, it seems strange to me that the upper right hand row is not positioned for the index, 2nd and 3rd fingers.

Any suggestions/comments on this odd instrument would be very welcome; I note that there isn't an example in the Horniman collection and a 16b Anglo does not appear in price lists.

Best Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

Well, I looked at the button layout.....my brain hurts now. Playing in Eb looks ok, C ok, thinking about D and backtracking from right to left hand. I have played with a 22 and 24 key where the 'spare"keys are the C# etc. It must be a variant on that kind of idea. My head would have been spinning had I bought it.

Well, I looked at the button layout.....my brain hurts now. Playing in Eb looks ok, C ok, thinking about D and backtracking from right to left hand. I have played with a 22 and 24 key where the 'spare"keys are the C# etc. It must be a variant on that kind of idea. My head would have been spinning had I bought it.

Dear Lawrence,

Apologies for spinning your head. I need to plot the notes on a stave to understand the 'logic' of the layout. :o

Regards,

Neil

Any suggestions/comments on this odd instrument would be very welcome; I note that there isn't an example in the Horniman collection and a 16b Anglo does not appear in price lists.

I expect it's a "one-off" made specially for somebody, maybe to try out an idea?

But, with the layout of the treble buttons, it wouldn't even suit a player used to one of the 10-key, single-row German concertinas, who wanted some semitones... :huh:

The layout is indeed very peculiar.

The shift on the right row is not necessarily a bad idea : if you also

shift your fingers so that the "natural" position will be index on second

button, etc..., then you come back to the usual layout, and this may

also improve the balance of the instrument as you will be playing

more "in the center" of it. This is something I have already thought

about in my elucubrations about a "minimal" instrument.

The reversed C/B button at the bottom of the row can be useful for some

chords, but other notes could have been reversed and the advantages of

the present choice are not obvious to me. Anyway, playing chords will

be very limited with such an instrument.

Note that your layout file does not indicate the octaves. I'm assuming

the B/C and D/E buttons on the additional row on the right are continuing

the scale in the upper octave, which makes sense to me.

Edited by david fabre