Scottish Tune

Alan Day

Here is a recording of a Scottish tune ,note the similarity of this to Constant Billy

Played on my CG Jeffries

Al

Tune now deleted Available from me if you would like a copy

Edited by Alan Day

Guest Mick Diles
Here is a recording of a Scottish tune ,note the similarity of this to Constant Billy

Played on my CG Jeffries

Al

To my ears there's nothing Scottish to this tune.

Played on my CG Jeffries

Al

Have you heard many Scottish country dance tunes? Reels, jigs and strathspeys often don't sound much like what you'd hear from Andy M. Stewart, Ewan MacColl or Jean Redpath...

jdms

There is nothing Scottish in the way I play it !

It is as far as I know a Scottish Drinking song where the singer slowly gets drunk as it is being sung. I listen to a Scotsman singing this tune every Month.

I will let you know what it is called.

Just thought it was a catchy tune and it is played at a completely different rhythm to how it is sung.

Al

(Extremely nice playing (as always) Alan.)

It is interesting just how much English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh/ness is actually in playing style.

Someone did an experiment over at www.thesession.org a couple of years back where they'd put up some absolutely straight midi versions of Scottish and Irish tunes and asked people to identify/comment. I, and many others, I think, was very surprised to find just how hard it was to ascribe tunes to the different traditions from the notes alone! :rolleyes:

Here is a recording of a Scottish tune, note the similarity of this to Constant Billy,

Played on my CG Jeffries. There is nothing Scottish in the way I play it !

It is as far as I know a Scottish Drinking song where the singer slowly gets drunk as it is being sung. I listen to a Scotsman singing this tune every Month.

I will let you know what it is called.

Constant Willie?

Chris

Irene Shettle has kindly supplied the information regarding this tune and song that goes with it. The tune is sung by Alan Price (A Scotsman) who performs this song at the Rising Sun Charlwood every Month. The song is called

"Willie Brew'd a Peck O'Maut" . Words written by Robert Burns in 1789

The song is sung a a much slower pace than I play it and next month at Charlwood I am going to play my version of the tune which Alan will not recognise and slur it down to the drunken way he finishes it.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Actually Al, the name of the singer is Alan Prior, not Price (a recently retired airline pilot). He and his wife Carol are well known singers ... residents for many years at the Ram Club in Claygate,Surrey and to be seen at singing sessions all over the place. I have heard him sing it many times, and recall that in earlier days he used to sing it dead straight ... the last few times I have heard him sing it, he has done it in a rather entertaining fashion ... feigned inebriation grows throughout the song until at the end of it he's virtually cross eyed ;)

Edited by Irene S

I've just managed to listen to it now ... gosh that is different. I doubt very much indeed if Alan will recognise it, as character and some of the tune have certainly altered ... wish I could be there to compare the two!

Actually Al, the name of the singer is Alan Prior, not Price (a recently retired airline pilot). He and his wife Carol are well known singers ... residents for many years at the Ram Club in Claygate,Surrey and to be seen at singing sessions all over the place.

Alan and Carol did, indeed, pop up almost anywhere; sometimes booked at festivals, other times just turning up. I recall seeing them at Edinburgh Folk Festival (when I lived in Peterhead), and, more recently (but still a few years ago) at an Irish pub in Croydon (one which Reg Hall used to frequent).

Please give Alan and Carol my regards, when you next see them.

Peter.

Actually Al, the name of the singer is Alan Prior, not Price (a recently retired airline pilot). He and his wife Carol are well known singers ... residents for many years at the Ram Club in Claygate,Surrey and to be seen at singing sessions all over the place.

Alan and Carol did, indeed, pop up almost anywhere; sometimes booked at festivals, other times just turning up. I recall seeing them at Edinburgh Folk Festival (when I lived in Peterhead), and, more recently (but still a few years ago) at an Irish pub in Croydon (one which Reg Hall used to frequent).

Please give Alan and Carol my regards, when you next see them.

Peter.

Alan and Carol are there every month at Charlwood,I will pass on your good wishes Peter. What a strong voice they both have,with the right songs they are a joy to listen to.

There is very little of the tune altered Irene, but a completely different style.Like you he will not recognise it until I slow it down. I can understand the Scottish query (but not the anagram). :blink:

Al