Music before 1066

Just out of interest for those keen on the history of music . I listened to a great programme on Radio 4 the other day abot a little book from Winchester Abbey, before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Before the stave and the dots were introduced. It indicated how the plain song , two part chants went and it's been interpreted and sung again. It was probably chants used at the coronation of Edward the Confessor at Winchester Abbey in 1043 ( you can see that depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry.

It's here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00/y...fore_the_Stave/

Well worth a listen. Lovely sounds and nice link to modal tunes today in the 'English' tradition

If it doesn't come up just Google Radio 4 and go to music

Edited by michael sam wild

Just out of interest for those keen on the history of music . I listened to a great programme on Radio 4 the other day abot a little book from Winchester Abbey, before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Before the stave and the dots were introduced. It indicated how the plain song , two part chants went and it's been interpreted and sung again. It was probably chants used at the coronation of Edward the Confessor at Winchester Abbey in 1043 ( you can see that depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry.

Well worth a listen. Lovely sounds and nice link to modal tunes today in the 'English' tradition

Thanks for the reminder Mike; I couldn't listen at the time and meant to 'listen again', but the memory isn't what it was.

Did you catch the programme the other week on ABC and the Village Music Project, 'From Dots to Downloads'? It was excellent.

I have an mp3 of it if anyone is interested.

Hi John

Was it on Radio 4? If I can't find it I'd be keen on a copy

Cheers

Mike

PS

I was very interested in how they linked the music to the Elizabethan revival of 'Englishness' and hence to the work of Tallis and thence to Vaughan Williams' Fantasia etc . Shows the way recorded info can jump the generations and spark significant revivals

Edited by michael sam wild

I was very interested in how they linked the music to the Elizabethan revival of 'Englishness' and hence to the work of Tallis and thence to Vaughan Williams' Fantasia etc . Shows the way recorded info can jump the generations and spark significant revivals

I also liked the thought that 'this is the first time that the book has heard itself sung for a thousand years' when they took the Troper back to Winchester and performed some of the music.

Although no less an impeccable scientific resource than MythBusters has proved that you can't extract the 'ghosts' of sounds from inanimate objects like books or paintings, I still enjoyed the idea of the 21st Century performances resonating with the 10th Century ones.

And that also got me thinking again about how I'd love to know about, and hear, all the other music that has been played on my concertina between it leaving 20 Conduit Street in the 1850s and it arriving in my hands ...

No longer available on BBC iplayer :angry: