Dating and pricing

Burnt Oak

This is my first entry on this site, so I hope I am in the right section. Anyway, I have a Wheatstone Concertina 48-key that I am trying to get more info on and price for sale. The serial number is 2474. The only date I have found is on the two hinges on the box, which show "Sep271843" or "Sep2/1843". Any help much appreciated. Thx.

I tried looking the serial number up in the Horiman archives (there's an ap for that at http://www.concertina.com/ledgers/lookup/index.htm ) and it doesn't show up. My early Wheatstone treble is number 2667. It dates from 1851 (it is in the ledgers).

These very early Wheatstones tend to have brass reeds and Lachenal style action rather than the later Wheatstone riveted action. This makes them less valuable than you might expect given the age. They go for a modest price compared to other vintage models and often need restoration to make them playable, so condition is important in determining value. Pictures would help those who know more about these than I say more about the individual instrument you have.

Still, I'm very fond of mine. It has a sweet tone aand is quiet enough to play late at night without bothering the neighbors. It isn't loud enough to play in a session in a crowded bar, though. It was my first vintage Wheatstone and I now have others to play in noisier environments. I still play it several times a week.

Thx. It does have brass reeds and a very sweet tone. It was refurbished by The Button Box, Northampton, Massachusetts, USA 2 or 3 years ago. One reed and leather straps were replaced. What will be most important to me is that it goes to someone who will play it. Money is not my motive for selling. I will post some photos. Thx again.

I research the Wheatstone sales ledgers and couldn't find 2474. I did find numbers very close (2467, 2469, etc) and they are all early 1851 entries.

Edited by Burnt Oak

Looks like the twin to mine (# 2667).

And a typical example of the model Louis Lachenal engineered for Wheatstone's, which first went into production in 1847, making it possible for concertinas to be sold at a lower price.

Can anyone help with pricing?

Thx

I think you'll struggle to find anyone here who's willing to put an actual price on this or any other concertina. You say you bought it from the Button Box two or three years ago so you know what you paid for it. Perhaps a member in the States might offer an opinion on the general trend of concertina values during that period and whether prices are significantly different now.

I've heard the folks at the Button Box are really helpful, why not give them a call and ask for a bit of advice?

Pete.

I think you'll struggle to find anyone here who's willing to put an actual price on this or any other concertina. You say you bought it from the Button Box two or three years ago so you know what you paid for it. Perhaps a member in the States might offer an opinion on the general trend of concertina values during that period and whether prices are significantly different now.

I've heard the folks at the Button Box are really helpful, why not give them a call and ask for a bit of advice?

Pete.

Thx.

I didn't buy it from The Button Box; they refurbished it a few years ago. I bought it London about 40 years ago.

Still, as I only live a few miles from The Button Box I'll take a ride and have a chat with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx to everyone for your guidance and suggestions; you are a very tight, insightful and helpful concertina community.

As I still don’t have a clue about pricing (I spent many hours web surfing and prices are all over the place) I have decided to place it on eBay and see what the market tells me.

Thx again.

Steve

Edited by Burnt Oak