Dilemma about a planned trip to Vietnam...

One of my best friend is getting married in Vietnam in december, and after some brainwashing sessions from him, and after another common friend purchased a ticket to go, too, I had to other crazy choice than to get on board. I will be there from december 13th to january 3rd.

Now, Vietnam is not Europe or North America. Ho Chi Minh is a place where pickpockets on scooters target tourists' bags, they are know to come around you quickly and get away with your stuff. There is no way I'm going to bring my Dipper, on top of weather hasards...

The problem is, I can't imagine myself not playing a concertina for three weeks. I don't remember last time I skipped a day, three weeks seem like an eternity... I could practice/play whistle, but I really need practice on the concertina, I'm now totally dedicated to it.

I wonder if anyone has options I haven't thought of, or wise suggestions.

I was thinking of a Ab/Eb Edgley for a long time, if I could find a relatively 'cheap' one, this is something I'm planning to buy anyway... but it's not as if I wouldn't mind losing it. It would not be as disastrous as my Dipper (no disrespect meant to Frank, it's just a cold-blooded comparison based on market value and wait time) but it would still be very bad.

I could borrow/buy a Rochelle... but honnestly I don't think this woulod do me any good, I think it could even make my playing worse, since it would force me to adapt to stuff that could be counter-productive.

Also, do I really wanna be stuck with a concertina going through three airports and then different hotels, etc.

Is there anything I haven't thought of?

Mon ami - Azalin, do you need anyone to baby sit your Dipper while you are gone? I could loan you one of several Wheatstones I have and take care of your Dipper. Your Dipper will not leave the shores of Canada. By the time you get back :unsure: .... I will receive my 40 button Dipper C/G. ;)

Have a safe trip!

Edited by Ben Otto

Leave all the concertinas. Take a camera, and a pair of whistles. One in C and 1 in D. Enjoy the countryside, the culture, the food, and partying with your friend. Throughout the years I have taken the trusty pair of whistles ( generations or clarkes) on many a business excursion where I felt as though time was not my own. I also found great pleasure in the sheer amount of great music that you can make on them. From your posts, and our meeting at McGrath's a few years ago at a session I can safely say "It is the music you can not live without", not the device that delivers it. each time you learn or work through a tune on a different instrument your brain and musical sense is working the same pattern.

How about getting one of these when you're in Vietnam?

Apparently they're still played in the north of the country, though this guy's from Ireland... :blink:

This is way to out there. Stephen, I enjoyed this and love learning about something new. B)

Farion

Apparently they're still played in the north of the country, though this guy's from Ireland... :blink:

Awesome instrument, and equally awesome technique!

It plays fast and loud!

Is this a relative of the Chinese sheng? It would appear to be from the brief description given (free-reed bamboo).

What is the purpose of the pipes hanging below the mouth part? Just to balance the instrument in the player's hands?

ANyway, if you could bring one back with you, it would be really something -- and yet another lifetime's work to get good on it.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Azalin - you have my sympathy. I also went on an trip to Vietnam this year and wondered how I would manage without one of my concertinas. Now, this sounds really sad - but readers of this site will sympathise.

I took several 'family' pictures with me of my instruments - like postcards from home, I was able to have a sneeky peep or show them to travel companions or locals (my wife couldn't believe that I had actually printed and packed a some concertina pictures, but she got over it)

I also loaded up my iPod with as many concertina pieces as I could find - so whether it was in the Mekong delta or Halong Bay I got my favourite, Juliette Daum, Lea Nicholson or EC International tracks close at hand.

From my experince, Vietnam is a wonderful and safe place, so if you did want to take an instrument with you I wouldn't be put off too much. I'd probably feel safer carrying a concertina around Vietnam, than some parts of the UK. You'll undoudtedly come across traditional music players in the temples and some restaurants and wouldn't it be fun to have a go at joining in!

Have a great time.

Jeremy

do you need anyone to baby sit your Dipper while you are gone?

Thanks for the offer but I think my Dipper is a bit of a wild beast and might start tearing up your Wheatstones ;-)

From your posts, and our meeting at McGrath's a few years ago at a session

I don't remember meeting you Lawrence, I'm sure we did but I can't place you...! But yeah, a bunch of whistles might be all I need. Actually, whistles are my first love, and I still love playing the whistle. Maybe a three weeks whistle intensive might be a good thing, I could learn a few new tunes... but I will miss playing a couple of Gm or Dm tunes with Bb, G#, low As, Bs, etc....

Haha, yeah, I saw that clip before. That guy is actually very good! But it's a bit big to cary around... and I got my hands full with the concertina, I'd get a burnout if I had to pickup something new ;-)

Azalin - you have my sympathy. I also went on an trip to Vietnam this year and wondered how I would manage without one of my concertinas

Family pictures of your concertina! Now that's an idea. I might as well start sending my concertina some postcards from Vietnam :-) I know Vietnam is relatively safe, but Ho Chi Minh can get very wild I heard.