Found Jeffries on Gumtree.com (London)

Geraghty

I sent a mail to the seller, got one answer, sent another mail, no answer. If it's in good shape, it is a bargain.

Snorre,

What was their response? I'm sure you must have asked how many buttons it had.

I blew up the picture a bit and it appears that the buttons are metal. Is that consistent with the time period stated for its production? It is possible it has a drone button as well but can't tell for sure.

Steve

I sent a mail to the seller, got one answer, sent another mail, no answer. If it's in good shape, it is a bargain.

Snorre,

What was their response? I'm sure you must have asked how many buttons it had.

I blew up the picture a bit and it appears that the buttons are metal. Is that consistent with the time period stated for its production? It is possible it has a drone button as well but can't tell for sure.

Steve

The first mail was answered with price, shipping and the seller having gotten it from his uncle. I sent the following, which didn't get a reply:

Thanks for your rapid answer. I may be interested, but there a few more things I need to know about the instrument. First, how many buttons are there on both sides. Second, and this might prove tricky if you are not a musician, what tuning is it. One way of determining this would be to make a recording (on your computer) of the lowest notes, pushed, on the middle row, and send an email to me. Some of these concertinas were made with tunings that are awkward to play in sessions, but still are attractive to high level players. I am more of a novice looking to buy one instrument to last me a lifetime, hence the pickiness....

thanks for your patience.

I'd be as wary of listings on Craigslist, or Gumtree, etc. as I would be of ones on eBay - the more so when the seller knows the period in which the instrument was made, and says "it still plays like a dream", but can't tell you what key it's in - could it be a cloned listing?

I'd certainly want to see the instrument before I parted with my money!

• 1 year later...

That very same concertina was also listed on Craigslist London in early October and has just reappeared there again.

I too have been in contact with the seller, who claims the concertina is in Aberdeen.

I actually managed to get a mobile number from him, which of course proved to be unobtainable. I have also sent many emails, which have remained unanswered.

If this is a scam, and I'm pretty sure it is, what is the point if the 'seller' doesn't follow it through?

Martyn

Edited by martyn