Google Quotes

I wondered if it concerns, you as it does me that some of the discussions we get on here are quoted on Google.If for example I now mention

"Joe Bloggs Concertina player" if this name is Googled within a few days his name and this conversation will come up.

Do you object to your quotes here being used elsewhere?

Al :ph34r:

I wondered if it concerns, you as it does me that some of the discussions we get on here are quoted on Google.If for example I now mention

"Joe Bloggs Concertina player" if this name is Googled within a few days his name and this conversation will come up.

Al, I'm afraid that that's what you get when you subscribe to a system which uses public bulletin board software such as this one, phpbb3, etc. The bots and search engines roam constantly through internet servers, picking up all the text that forms the basis of their searching. It's both a disadvantage and an advantage. If the engines didn't do it, then there'd be no Google - and how could we live without that? and, actually, Joe Bloggs might like the publicity!

Perhaps if you do all your posts as text in an image file......

Our space quota for images is limited, and for good reason.

Besides, Google doesn't quote, it links. So it would link to the image file, which would be just as visible, though admittedly not very amenable to cut and paste by those using Google. But it would make it virtually impossible to quote only the relevant part of a message when replying to a post.

I wondered if it concerns, you as it does me that some of the discussions we get on here are quoted on Google. If for example I now mention "Joe Bloggs Concertina player" if this name is Googled within a few days his name and this conversation will come up.

The "quoting" on Google doesn't bother me.

In part, this is because it's not "quoting", it's "referencing", and it doesn't use quotes, but links.

Google does not, as far as I know, compile an encyclopedia or other stand-alone work which quotes excerpts from other on-line sources. It provides a search service, which directs its users to the original sources, including concertina.net. If someone sees your post about Joe Bloggs (or the quote of it in this post), they'll be seeing it right here on concertina.net. So are you concerned over the fact that Google is directing people's attention to these forums? Do you think people should be able to read our posts -- possibly even learn about us -- only by personal invitation? I suspect not.

More than once in the past I have pointed out that anything and everything we post here can be found and seen by the Googling public. I have cautioned everyone that if they want to say something that they don't want the whole world to be able to find and see, even in the distant future, then they simply should not post it here. My personal concern is posts that present blatant speculation as if it were fact. But there may be others who wish to engage in heated discussions, yet have those somehow remain private. Well, if there's a way to do that, it ain't here.

If you do regret something you've said, you can always go back and edit your original post. (You can't delete all the text; the software requires at least one character of text after the edit in order to save it; but you can simply replace the entire text with the word "Removed".) The original may remain available on Google for a while in "archive" form, but it should eventually disappear.

To me, this is a separate question.

Other webbers can easily enough view any post in the concertina.net forums, and there's nothing to prevent their copying and pasting our texts for use on another web site, in a book they're writing, or whatever. If they do this with something I've written here and they credit the source, I do not object. If, however, they copy my work without giving credit, thereby presenting it as their own, I most certainly would object. Copyright issues aside, that is plagiarism, and a form of fraud.

I'm happy enpough. I am glad Google takes me to other sites such as The Session when I seek info

People can access this forum anyway and it might make people a bit more careful what they say if they are more widely accesible

A healthy reminder from Al that we may think we know the audience to to whom we are addressing ourselves but we may be overlooking the fact that we are probably addressing the entire world.... possibly beyond ! Not necessarily what we intended and a somewhat intimidating thought ?

As someone whose job involves heavy exposure on the Web, it doesn't bother me.

But I have long lived by the rule: never saying anything on a Web forum, in an Email or in a chat that you wouldn't want your wife, your boss or your most bitter enemy to see.

That's exactly how I store my email address on my website - as a JPG file - so the spammers can't pick it up.

Sounds a good idea. What is the actual procedure for storing an email address as a JPG file.

That's exactly how I store my email address on my website - as a JPG file - so the spammers can't pick it up.

Sounds a good idea. What is the actual procedure for storing an email address as a JPG file.

I wonder if there are any online utilities for doing this?

I use a graphice program,pretty well anything will do. Open a blank canvas and select a text tool.

Type in your email address in a font of your choosing and save it.

If you save it as a gif you can choose a transparent background so it'll sit nicely on any coloured web page.

Another way might be to do a screen capture of your email address as it is currently displayed on

a web page, save that then substitute it for the text. One thing not do do is put the email address in the Alt text or make your graphics a clickable email link :lol:

An easier method is to write you address in a less conventional way such as myaddy theatsign somewhere dot com

or whatever it takes to make it person readable but less obvious to robots.

Edited by spindizzy

I use Adobe Photoshop on a Mac to create graphics, but I believe Windows machines come with simple graphics programs (Paint?). Create the JPG file using the text part of the graphics program, save as .JPG and then insert it as an image on your web page.

If you use the internet at all, you are surrendering some of your privacy - that's a price you pay for convenience. Personally, I think anything that links people to this forum, and a deeper understanding of the musical instruments we love, is a big plus. :)

I've always known this....I never post what I wouldn't say publlicly anyway. And never post my contact details online, prefering to PM my email instead on request. And that's a special one just for forums. (yep different emails for different jobs.

If you want to get paranoid about computer security do a computer course. :unsure: :blink:

But I have long lived by the rule: never saying anything on a Web forum, in an Email or in a chat that you wouldn't want your wife, your boss or your most bitter enemy to see.

exactly.

I just Googled 3 words from a post I made some time ago and referenced today in another thread. (concertina, Disney and practice) It was the 6th topic returned. Out of all the WWW, what are the chances? I guess those 3 words aren't used together very often in a post.

Edited by drbones

If ... "Joe Bloggs Concertina player" ... is Googled within a few days his name and this conversation will come up.

Yep, he's there already! :rolleyes:

Google Quotes - Concertina.net Discussion Forums

12 posts - 8 authors - Last post: 2 days ago

"Joe Bloggs Concertina player" if this name is Googled within a few days his name and this

conversation will come up. ...

www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9819... - Cached - Similar

AL is there anything that can be done about it?

I think the only real option is to travel back in time.

Some websites do, eventually, die, and content can seem to disappear. Let's hope that does not happen to C.net! I guess that people might be mildly amused by some of the "rants" which appear from time to time.

The motto is; if you don't want it to be there (potentially) for "ever", don't post it.

Of course, if someone now finds Alan's post about "Joe Bloggs Concertina player", they might end up using Google to find out more about him. ;)