Custom hard case needed, preferably in UK

At some point in the relatively near future, my custom anglo order will be completed. It will be about five inches across the flats and I would like to get a hard case for it. I have a Fallon case for my Edgley and I like that case very much. But as I'm in the UK I'd rather get one from this side of the pond if possible, to save on shipping costs etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for custom cases? The anglo is a Dipper and I've asked Colin recently if he works with any case makers but haven't had a reply yet.

Hi

have a look at the post on Hardigg cases. I mentioned swanflight in that post so if you need a case custom made try their website and check out the custom case section. They are serious cases - probably not the cheapest- mine made for a Wheatstone Baritone cost £72 inc £10 delivery it was made and sent within a week of ordering. Hardigg are pretty tough but you might find it easier to pad it your self rather than buy one with 'pluck and pick' foam. I bought my Hardigg (Storm) from jit-pak -again sent fairly quickly

chris (whose wife is always saying 'what do you want another case for' :angry: -but I figure there are worse things to 'collect :blink: )

I am surprised if there are makers of top quality instruments who do not include a comparable, top quality rigid case in their quoted prices. To lavish so much craftsmanship on an instrument and then be happy to see it leave their hands without an appropriate fully-fitted case to afford it complete protection seems odd. If nothing else, a decent case would form the ideal basis of any packaging required to ensure total protection during transit to the customer.

I am surprised if there are makers of top quality instruments who do not include a comparable, top quality rigid case in their quoted prices. To lavish so much craftsmanship on an instrument and then be happy to see it leave their hands without an appropriate fully-fitted case to afford it complete protection seems odd. If nothing else, a decent case would form the ideal basis of any packaging required to ensure total protection during transit to the customer.

Colin Dipper is the only maker, as far as I know, who'll accept to make a totally custom instrument for you. Just try asking Suttner, Carroll, etc, for a mini concertina with precise size? If you also expect a custom case on top of this, well... let's be realistic.

PS: I'm sure anything can be done for extra money though...

Edited by Azalin

The case for the Edeophone 73 that I just received from Northeast Cases cost $125 US. They said they are exporting batches of (scientific ?) cases to some place in the UK. I don't know the size though.... I added the brass corners for $5...although they said they would have added them if I knew to ask...

http://maccann-mccann.ning.com/photo/p7200...?context=latest

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#...mp;id=733759251

Edited by Jack Bradshaw

Having a properly-fitted case is important not only for transporting the instrument but to ensure that it is stored properly, without the bellows being either too loose or too compressed. I would expect any new instrument to come with a case, and I would be very surprised if Colin does not supply a hard case with the instrument. He certainly did with mine.

Of course, if you want a flight-case type of box for additional protection, that is another matter.

I got a message from Colin today, he said he'll make sure it has a case "even if we have to make it ourselves"!

Excellent. :)

I have a small German concertina about the same size and amusingly the insulated lunch pails from Wilkinson's work perfectly for lightweight soft cases. I don't think I'd want to take it through an airport that way though.

Hjcjones, is your Dipper case a flight type, wooden, or something else?

Edited to add: I hope my post didn't imply that I thought Colin would send out an instrument unprotected. I never thought that. I just wasn't sure what type of options might be available for hard cases in odd sizes. I love my Sean Fallon case but his website isn't working anymore and I'm not sure if he's still in business.

Edited by Geraghty

I got a message from Colin today, he said he'll make sure it has a case "even if we have to make it ourselves"!

I don't know whether he still does, but Barry Wallace used to make cases for Colin. I don't know whether you remember mine, but they were made to measure by Barry.

Quite robust; when I was hit by a car, last year, whilst cycling, I landed on my hip/pelvis and rucksack. There was minor damage to the case, but none at all to the Jeffries!

Regards,

Peter.

Excellent. :)

I have a small German concertina about the same size and amusingly the insulated lunch pails from Wilkinson's work perfectly for lightweight soft cases. I don't think I'd want to take it through an airport that way though.

Edited to add: I hope my post didn't imply that I thought Colin would send out an instrument unprotected. I never thought that. I just wasn't sure what type of options might be available for hard cases in odd sizes. I love my Sean Fallon case but his website isn't working anymore and I'm not sure if he's still in business.

I think Sean had an operation a few months ago and must be recovering for a while... I'm glad you'll get a custom made case from the Dippers. To be honnest, though, I seldom use mine when I travel. I bought a camera bag on eBay and mostly use it for the concertina. I leave it in its hard case for storage though.

I imagine it's wood - it's a typical hard concertina case covered with black something-or-other, blocked and lined. Here's a picture:

post-346-1249138730_thumb.jpg

Fine though it is, I usually use a double case made by Barry Wallace (who Peter Trimming mentioned ) which takes this, another concertina, and a Mignon miniature melodeon. It also has a small compartment for odds-and-ends. It wasn't custom-made for this particular instrument, but it fits perfectly. I don't know if he's still making cases, but his are very good.