Switch-Squeezers

JimLucas

What concertina did you play first, and what now?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please read all the response categories before selecting one.

It has been suggested that more people switch from English to anglo than the other way around. This suggestion was in part tied to Irish music, but an anglo-Morris connection has also been frequently mentioned, so I tried to separate these connections from broader musical use of the anglo. Unfortunately, I was told, "You have more poll choices than the administrator allows for this forum, please reduce them." :( For the same reason, I have ignored melodeons or Irish-style button accordions, though anecdotal evidence suggests they may be a relevant factor (e.g., English players taking up button box instead of anglo to get a push-pull fix).

This is for fun. I'm curious about the responses, but I don't really expect that it will be reasonable to draw any significant conclusions from them.

Nicely done, Jim.

I am curious whether there is a significant number of people who play button accordion and then take up some type of concertina. Also, piano accordion players picking up the concertina. And of course vice versa, concertina first and then going to one or the other, or both types of accordions. I suppose a poll might be nice.

These polls are fun. I don't think we expect to get scientific evidence, but an anecdotal answer which is kinda like qualititative research and okay.

Thanks.

Helen

I was torn between anglo - still the same, and anglo - added duet, because I intend to add Hayden duet, and am even the lucky owner of one of these. Should I bring it to Sweden even though I can't play it?

Samantha

Hayden duet, ... am even the lucky owner of one of these. Should I bring it to Sweden even though I can't play it?

We would all love to see it, but I would recommend you bring it only if you can carry both it and your anglo as hand baggage.

For "show and tell", I'll be bringing an even rarer duet, along with the Maccann and Cranes.

The poll Topics don't get flagged as having new "unread" information when another vote is cast, but only when somebody posts a new message.

Well, if that's what it takes, then here's a new post.

At this point we have 30 votes in this poll.

Maybe having it show up as "unread" again will prompt a few more responses?

The responses so far don't seem to indicate any significant trends, except perhaps that those who start on the anglo are less likely to take up another kind, either as an addition or replacement. Of the 30 responders, apparently 19 of them play English and/or duet, and 20 play anglo. (Since I am the one vote for "English, added more than one other kind", I know that it does include anglo, so that's the 20th tally for anglo. :))

Hayden duet, ... am even the lucky owner of one of these. Should I bring it to Sweden even though I can't play it?

We would all love to see it, but I would recommend you bring it only if you can carry both it and your anglo as hand baggage.

For "show and tell", I'll be bringing an even rarer duet, along with the Maccann and Cranes.

Don't I just know it - that's what's taxing my brain at the moment - how to manage the luggage with the maximum number of concertinas as hand baggage!

You'll just have to wait and see what I manage to bring ... <_<

...that's what's taxing my brain at the moment...

A brain tax?

Well, they won't get much from me! :)

...how to manage the luggage with the maximum number of concertinas as hand baggage!

Keep in mind that -- although they won't be the personal ones you're used to -- there should be no shortage of anglos for you to play. (How many? Don't ask.) There might even be one with a 3rd row that matches what you're used to. :)

And if you could bring the Haydenovskaya, I'm sure many people would be very excited.

Don't I just know it - that's what's taxing my brain at the moment - how to manage the luggage with the maximum number of concertinas as hand baggage!

Faced with the same problem, since I'm bringing Kilroy, plus the concertina I'm selling to Joachim, and Anne has her quota too. Decided to wrap the concertinas in bubble-wrap and put them in a shoulder bag, but to put the cases in the suitcase. After all, I can always buy another case, but not another Kilroy.

Chris

Decided to wrap the concertinas in bubble-wrap and put them in a shoulder bag, but to put the cases in the suitcase.

'S what I've done more than once. Works a charm.

I've managed four normal-or-slightly-bigger concertinas in a single carryon (no, not "carrion"! :angry: ) bag which met Ryanair's dimension restrictions. Each separately wrapped in bubble, too.

Edited by JimLucas

Decided to wrap the concertinas in bubble-wrap and put them in a shoulder bag, but to put the cases in the suitcase. After all, I can always buy another case, but not another Kilroy.

Ah HAH! I'd got as far as thinking of putting concertinas in their cases in a shoulder bag, which was severely limiting the capacity of the shoulder bag ... DUH :blink:

Time for an update.

When last I reported there were 30 votes; now there are 39.

Maybe not done, yet? (Concertina.net has over 400 members.)

Of those, 28 play anglo, 24 play either English or duet, and 14 play both anglo and either English or duet. One plays at least 3 kinds.

If you haven't yet voted, why not now? ;)

Just looking at the poll, and from personal experience, it looks like English players seem to be the most flexible in swapping or adding other concertinas, whilst anglo players seem to be the most set-in their-ways and not trying other instruments.

It is probably also true that the 12 or 14% of players who did add/change were already competent musicians, playing in a number of keys and the 42 % of anglo players who did not, were up the row or chord players.

Personally, I was a set-in-the-way luddite anglo player who thought "why should I bother playing english when anglo can do the same"?. After some 25 years, I added English and have never looked back. I have to force myself to devote some time to anglo as well nowadays.

It is probably also true that the 12 or 14% of players who did add/change were already competent musicians, playing in a number of keys and the 42 % of anglo players who did not, were up the row or chord players.

Probable or not, these conclusions seem to come from your personal experience. There's no evidence here one way or another.

I assume that the poll votes are representative of succesful additions/changes. I would assume that there are more people who have tried out another system and thought "no thanks". Now whether that counts as a lack of flexibility or just a matter of musical taste, or even a lack of time or money to go further with an instrument is something else.

Robin Madge

I assume that the poll votes are representative of succesful additions/changes. I would assume that there are more people who have tried out another system and thought "no thanks".

I'm sure Robin's right.

But the main reason for this post is to have this poll once more brought to the attention of the group here.

We're up to 52 responses. Can we make it to 60?

And the unwavering angl(o)ers comprise 40% of the responders so far.

Seems fishy to me. C'mon the rest of you, exercise your right to vote.

• 3 weeks later...