what do you play that's not Irish/english?

the thread stating that "...90% play irish..." and the resulting refutation of same made me think: OK, if you are not playing irish english or american trad style musics then what are you playing?

On my C/G anglo I mostly play a mixture of English and Welsh tunes.

Welsh tunes work very nicely on the anglo.

More recently I've started to explore French and Breton traditional music.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thread stating that "...90% play irish..." and the resulting refutation of same made me think: OK, if you are not playing irish english or american trad style musics then what are you playing?

On my EC, when I'm not playing English stuff,

I play lots of French and Scandinavian tunes, bourrees, schottisches, mazurkas, polskas etc.;

I'm currently working my way through Lindsay Pollack's book of Macedonian tunes (the only tunebook I know that's organised in order of time signature, starting at 2/4 and ending at something like 33/8);

and occasionally when I'm feeling overambitious I dig out some of my baroque flute music (Telemann, Quantz, Handel, Bach) and remind myself just how far my concertina playing has to go before it's as good as my flute playing ...

I'm not a devout follower of Eastern European music but I play in sessions with a few musicians who are. :(

The easy :blink: way to cope is to play a harmony, that way you can cut down on the number of accidentals that you need to get at by picking another note from the chord. :rolleyes:

Robin Madge

i play irish mostly. i have dabbled a bit, and found some things i liked well, but i always feel like i need more work to do with my irish. some tunes i was working earlier this year included:

viva la vida by cold play

blackbird cover by john denver

hungarian dance no. 5

lord of the rings' "concerning hobbits"

ave maria by schubert

get back by the beatles

Work mostly at playing ITM, but have worked on and gotten to a "satisfactory" level on tunes from other musical traditions. Most recent ones would be:

Panis Angelicus (melody version by Louis Lambillotte)

Someone to Watch Over Me (G. Gershwin)

Goodnight, Irene ( H. Ledbetter aka Leadbelly)

Ashokan Farewell (J. Unger)

Battle Cry of Freedom (U.S. Civil War Tune)

Waltzing Matilda

Well, lately have been playing Neil Sdedaka's/Phil Cody's 'Laughter In The Rain,' my own loose arrangement for singing with.

Though, we've had so much rain around here lately, it's almost a menacing laugh.... heheh....heheheheheheh.....heeheeeeeeee.!!!!!

I'm one of those living room players who has the solitary luxury of playing anything that I can get my fingers around, be they British, American or whatever comes into my head.

What do you like to play that doesn't fall into one of the big catagories?

I've got things like a section of Beethoven's well known violin concerto, a Chet Atkins fingerpicking thing that I can't remember the name of, some Parisian and German songs that I copped from an old Ruth Welcom album, a couple of Eric Satie pieces...and other stuff I can't bring to mind right now.

What have you got?

Robert

BTW: these on a Tedrow 30-b standard. All crimes and misdemeanors are the fault of the player, not the played, naturally!

I play a piece called 4 33. :lol:

X:001

T:4'33"

C:John Cage

M:4/4

L:1/8

K:Ab minor

|:z8 | z8| z8 |z8|

Z8| Z8 | Z8 |Z8:|

Isn't that the tune Meryl Streep played on TV the other day on her new anglo? :unsure:

Thanks

Leo :D

Edited by Leo

Sorry Leo, I'm afraid I have to correct your abc - it's vitally important to get these abc transcriptions right, as they get copy & pasted around t'Interweb and people pay very little attention to provenance once the abc is out there divorced from its original context ...

|:(z8 | z8| z8 |z8|

Z8| Z8 | Z8 |Z8):|

4:33 is in three movements you see :)

Sadly abc doesn't AFAIK yet include notation for the closing and opening of the piano lid in between each movement ...

Sorry Leo, I'm afraid I have to correct your abc - it's vitally important to get these abc transcriptions right, as they get copy & pasted around t'Interweb and people pay very little attention to provenance once the abc is out there divorced from its original context ...

Sadly abc doesn't AFAIK yet include notation for the closing and opening of the piano lid in between each movement ...

Very good Steve. I could only find the first part. I'll correct my copy. ;)

Thanks

Leo

They must be very subtle movements, as I have difficulty seeing any movement at all in the abc score.

What would be the equivalent for a concertina? Opening and closing the bellows? Or the case?

Dick, since you play it, please enlighten us. ;)

if not listen carefully to all extraneous noise,this could be a donkey braying,or the sound of cars roaring round spaghetti junction,or if you are lucky enough to live next to or with another concertina player it could be someone elses playing.

Or it might be the sound a child's voice asking "Why is the king wearing no clothes"