Anglo and Meryl Streep

While the tele was putting me to bed last night, I noticed Meryl Streep holding an anglo on a late night talk show. I quickly turned the vloume on to see what was up. She said she'd just acquired it within the week so there was no playing, but she did press a couple of buttons to demonstrate its sound. Nice to see someone having an interest enough to take it on national television, even without being able to play.

While the tele was putting me to bed last night, I noticed Meryl Streep holding an anglo on a late night talk show. I quickly turned the vloume on to see what was up. She said she'd just acquired it within the week so there was no playing, but she did press a couple of buttons to demonstrate its sound. Nice to see someone having an interest enough to take it on national television, even without being able to play.

Way to go! She is one of my favorite actresses. :)

By Coincidence, I just came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UdhTbHs6C4&fmt=18

It shows up at 4:44 into the interview.

Thanks

Leo

Thanks for the link -- Meryl was always my favorite actress anyway.

And she's got a Stagi 20-button -- sounds like a D/G, maybe octave reeded. I hope she actually learns to play it a bit, not just SIren Song :P (you gotta watch teh clip to see what I mean).

Anyway, it's good to see our fave instrument on national TV. --Mike K.

So with all her millions she couldn't afford a better concertina? Or was it her rich friend?

I'm very impressed. When she pulled that 20 button squeaker out, my jaw dropped to the floor. I didn't expect that.

Don't know what to make of it. So she decides to learn to play it and didn't even research the matter on the Internet?

Good luck to her (and half of her luck to all of us combined).

Maybe someone should contact her and suggest this forum?

Hi LDT

Are you volunteering? When can you start? :unsure:

The original video was removed from YouTube, but it's still available in the US if you search Google for: "Meryl Streep Concertina". I don't know about Europe. There is another short clip that showed up today on YouTube, but I don't know how long it will last:

Meryl Streep learning to play her concertina

Hopefully this will still work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc8-BesI42Y&fmt=18

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Strange. I agree with an earlier post: someone with her money can't afford a decent adviser as to which instrument someone rich might find a better one to learn on?

Ian

"So with all her millions she couldn't afford a better concertina? Or was it her rich friend?"

I heard her say that she received it as a gift for her birthday. I must have missed it when she mentioned that the person who gave the gift is rich.

here is a version of the video which is posted on the copyright owner's website, so it should not be removed to do copyright infringement:

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/...072709/1139741/

it is a bit obnoxious, but i saved it anyways beacuse it is very rare to see such a video. one of us should try and find her a teacher!

Maybe someone should contact her and suggest this forum?

Hi LDT

Are you volunteering? When can you start? :unsure:

The original video was removed from YouTube, but it's still available in the US if you search Google for: "Meryl Streep Concertina". I don't know about Europe. There is another short clip that showed up today on YouTube, but I don't know how long it will last:

THis is great, but I see Meryl is wearing the same clothes as on the Tonite Show. Was this some coaching given to her backstage just before going on the air? SHucks, I thought she'd worked on it a little at home. At least she foudn a button that sounds a perfect 4th apart between push and pull for the Siren Song.

Hopefully this will still work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc8-BesI42Y&fmt=18

Thanks

Leo

It still worked for me as of this posting's time and date. --Mike K.

The admiring onlooker in this video, briefly appearing at 6 secs. and again at 20 secs., is William Shatner. Maybe he'll be the next celebrity to take up concertina!

I didn't think to ask when I found the video; does anyone know who is "instructing" her?

I would think Captain Kirk has his prize concertina tucked away somewhere from his younger days:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_concertina

Celebrities playing concertinas can only be a good thing. It will be interesting to see if we get some new members trying to imitate her.

Thanks

Leo

darn, apparently my second response didnt go through.

basically, i said that money can't buy knowledge, and it's all too easy to forget that meryl streep is a person like the rest of us. like us, if she wants to learn anything about concertinas, she'll have to do it the long way. you cant hire someone to advise you to buy a concertina unless you know where to find these people, and we are far and few between. i am reminded of that auction house last year or the year before that had no idea the jeffries they were selling would sell for ~$10k, and actually listed the concertina as a secondary item in a bundle. it is easy to hire someone to advise you on rare things when everyone wants this rare thing, but it is hard to hire someone when the experts are rare as well.

really, then, what we need is an expert on experts--someone who's job it is to classify, locate, and quantify different types of experts, someone who is an expert at finding people who are experts at things that most people don't care about, such as someone who is an expert at 17th century northern icelandic ironsmithing or late colonial rug-hooking.

you cant hire someone to advise you to buy a concertina unless you know where to find these people, and we are far and few between.

If someone gave you a paddle to which a little rubber ball is attached by a string, would you immediately look for an expert (or even go to the internet) to learn about its more sophisticated cousins, or would you just have fun playling with it?

Meryl Streep was given something that to her -- and I would guess also to the person who gave it to her -- is a fun little toy, and (so far) nothing more serious. (Some of us would also consider that particular model to be little more than a toy.) Why do you think it should even occur to her/them that it has far more sophisticated cousins, or that they should treat it as a "serious" musical instrument? Experts may be few and far between, but why should they even think there is something significant to be expert in? And why should they care?

you cant hire someone to advise you to buy a concertina unless you know where to find these people, and we are far and few between.

If someone gave you a paddle to which a little rubber ball is attached by a string, would you immediately look for an expert (or even go to the internet) to learn about its more sophisticated cousins, or would you just have fun playling with it?

Meryl Streep was given something that to her -- and I would guess also to the person who gave it to her -- is a fun little toy, and (so far) nothing more serious. (Some of us would also consider that particular model to be little more than a toy.) Why do you think it should even occur to her/them that it has far more sophisticated cousins, or that they should treat it as a "serious" musical instrument? Experts may be few and far between, but why should they even think there is something significant to be expert in? And why should they care?

i agree with you. i was trying to point out how ridiculous the idea of hiring an expert would be, and your perspective further elucidates why it would be so ridiculous... just because we look at it and see an expensive concertina begging to be bought, most people just see a joke.