Kate McNamara

Last week (here we go again) at the Catskills festival I had the honor of getting to hear (and talk to) Kate McNamara from County Clare. I listened to snipets of her CD beforehand and absolutely loved it, so I semi stalked her during the week. Some friend of mine told her I put a GPS on her concertina, I hope it didn't freak her out too much :-)

Anyhow, this is very subjective, and based on my personnal tastes, but there's something magical about Kate's playing. Her ornamentations are lovely, subtle and tasteful, but I'd say her strong point is the bounce in her music. It's as if the whole room starts moving and bouncing when she starts playing, I'm not sure how she manages to do that, but it seems to be a natural gift of hers. She's playing East Clare style (she did tell me, I would not really recognize east from west) and interestingly, she's using the right side of her concertina much more than some players like Noel Hill, Edel Fox, etc. Her default high D/E is on the RH, not LH. She's learned a lot from Mary McNamara (not related) but added a more 'modern' touch to her playing and has developed her own style.

I asked her if I could post a clip of her here. She agreed, she'd rather have a clip from her CD posted but I don't feel comfortable posting copyrighted stuff, but here's a nice clip from a listening session with Mike Rafferty, Willie Kelly and other heros. Felix Dolan is on the piano. She's playing a C/G Suttner.

Here's the clip

This is not a professional recording, but it gives a good idea of her overall style. I love her CD, "Are you that concertina player?", and I'm sure you'll definitely hear more of her in the future.

That's it, I'm done with my post-Catskills marketing :-)

Edited by Azalin

This is not a professional recording, but it gives a good idea of her overall style.

Nope, but the Edirol did a fine job, as it always does (into Edirol marketing here :P )

Lovely stuff indeed, sweet and bouncy, no ticket for speeding.

Thanks for posting it,

/Henrik

Wow! I've listened to lots of concertina playing and that recording had some really outstanding playing. Can't wait to get my hands on her CD. Now I just have to find it somewhere.

Ross Schlabach

Thanks for posting this, Azalin! Simply wonderful!

Wow! I've listened to lots of concertina playing and that recording had some really outstanding playing. Can't wait to get my hands on her CD. Now I just have to find it somewhere.

Ross Schlabach

Yep, no excuse to wait any longer. I must get her CD a.s.a.p.! :)

The only source I know where to get it is Custy's (http://www.custysmusic.com/).

Does anybody know of a source in the US?

the rhythm/swing/lilt, or what az calls the "bounce," of kate's sound is pure mary mac/tulla/east clare, based on my few days workshopping with mary and playing in a sesh led by mary, as well as much listening & seshing in the company of other tulla/east clare folks---there is definitely a tulla/east clare syncopation (aka swing), and it comes in a more relaxed tempo and a faster version, but in both cases, it's the same very distinctive way of syncopating irish music....if you use the keywords "tulla glendree" there are several vids of the tulla kitchen session on youtube, including one featuring kate (that one starts with a young flute player,) and that rhythm....yes, oh my, yes. i am also very fond of the bobby casey syncopation and some of the east galway/early ballinakil swing, but really love that tulla/east clare sound......

the other thing about kate's playing that i really like is that except for modern ornaments at long tune notes (slaps or light rolls), it is the tune first and foremost, without the piano-accordion-sounding fat bass chords and constant loud cuts typical of the post-noel hill, post-padraig rynne, post michael o'r, etc., sound currently very in vogue and currently seeming to be valued the highest by the "gatekeepers." clare boasts an abundance of virtuoso cross-row players who play this way, kate & people like lorraine o'brien being but a couple of examples which come to mind, and it is a style that for my money is not getting its due....

a little off track, this reminds me that, custys' video list has a couple of lovely additions featuring yvonne griffin & dymphna o'sullivan....

Edited by ceemonster

Perhaps, but it doesn't show on their website, at least so far. I'm in the US and I bought mine online from Custy's and was completely satisfied with the service and the speed of delivery. Here's a link to the page on their site to order this CD, which is one of my favorites.

So I heard Kate was sending CDs at the Button Box, makes it easy to buy the CD if you're in America.

Perhaps, but it doesn't show on their website, at least so far. I'm in the US and I bought mine online from Custy's and was completely satisfied with the service and the speed of delivery. Here's a link to the page on their site to order this CD, which is one of my favorites.

So I heard Kate was sending CDs at the Button Box, makes it easy to buy the CD if you're in America.

I think she's in the process of sending them the CD, they certainly don't have it yet. I wonder what the price will be, but yeah Custy's is a safe bet if you don't mind the euro :-) Thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...