Did Jeffries, et. al., make an English model/s ?

danersen

Hello All,

Given the continual commentary on Jeffries Anglos and the periodic mention of a Jeffries Duet, but virtual silence re: Jeffries English, I am wondering if any were actually made. I've read about an occasional reference that Wes Williams was aware of two Jeffries English instruments, but that's about all I've seen or heard on the matter.

Historians, please enlighten me - or point me to any prior threads or discussions here that that did not return when I searched this site and Google.

With much appreciation.

Be Well,

Dan

Given the ... virtual silence re: Jeffries English, I am wondering if any were actually made. I've read about an occasional reference that Wes Williams was aware of two Jeffries English instruments, but that's about all I've seen or heard on the matter.

Dan,

They most certainly did make English concertinas, in fact I had one for a while, but I never warmed to it and came to thoroughly dislike it - as did the guy who bought it off me, thinking it would be good for sessions. I found it uncomfortable to play, as it was too heavy, the buttons were too thin and too long, and the thick 4-fold bellows felt clumsy, whilst I also disliked the rather hard tone of it, its constant loudness and lack of dynamic range. I guess you could say that it lacked refinement... :(

Give me a good Wheatstone, or Lachenal, any day! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Given the continual commentary on Jeffries Anglos and the periodic mention of a Jeffries Duet, but virtual silence re: Jeffries English, I am wondering if any were actually made. I've read about an occasional reference that Wes Williams was aware of two Jeffries English instruments, but that's about all I've seen or heard on the matter.

I also know of only two... one is currently in the Horniman collection, and the other owned by someone who (last I heard) doesn't play it, but does play the anglo. One of those might be the one Stephen used to have, but I don't know. In any case, we don't have them to examine or try, so it's hard to discuss them. I think Stephen's comments are the most we're likely to get, at least for a while.

There was a man playing one at The Ring O'Bells at St Issys on May Day(thats near Padstow) this year and also a chap with a magnificent , massive English Wheatstone who had it to learn as a retirement project.

We also unveiled the "Blue Plaque "to commemorate the singing of Beggars Velvet the previous year.

No TOOTHY JOKES thank you

There was a man playing one at The Ring O'Bells at St Issys on May Day(thats near Padstow) this year and also a chap with a magnificent , massive English Wheatstone who had it to learn as a retirement project.

I don't fully understand.

Are you saying that this "chap with a magnificent , massive English Wheatstone" also had an English by Jeffries?

I don't fully understand.

Are you saying that this "chap with a magnificent , massive English Wheatstone" also had an English by Jeffries?

Now James dont be playing the"Dark Templar" I wrote "a man" and then "and a chap" thus two persons.

Sorry, Nic. I wasn't playing games. Since you didn't point out that you were running off on a tangent, I thought perhaps the mention of the "chap" was also supposed to be relevant to "Jeffries English". So I wasn't sure whether you might be talking about two differrent individuals, each of whom had a Jeffries English, with the "chap" also having a large Wheatstone (something not directly relevant to the Topic's subject, but still something I would love to see).

From your reply to my reply, I now understand that there was only the one Jeffries English. But two and one do make three, and do lead me to wonder if there are more.

Aside from that, could you tell us about the Jeffries? What was the sound like? Did you get a chance to try it out? Inquisitive Dark Templar minds want to know. :)

I also know of only two... one is currently in the Horniman collection, and the other owned by someone who (last I heard) doesn't play it, but does play the anglo. One of those might be the one Stephen used to have...

No, it's neither of those - I sold mine to Geoff Wooff, who tried to modify the action on it, but finally bought a Wheatstone instead. The Horniman example is the only metal-ended one that I know of, whilst mine was rosewood-ended, as have been maybe half a dozen more that I've heard of.

There is a fourth. A friend has a Jeffries Brothers Praed Street with 4 fold bellows and shorter fatter buttons. Typical Jeffries sound but pitched in G a tone above a Tenor.

Graham

There may be at least four. There is the one in the Horniman. The one Stephen describes having owned with wood ends. And I believe I have one. I acquired this from a good friend who got it from someone in New Zealand well over 20 years ago. And it is not Praed Street. That means it is not Graham's.

Dan

post-144-1248446868_thumb.jpg

post-144-1248447043_thumb.jpg

Edited by madden