Two steps forward, one step back

LDT

Two steps forward, one step back..no not a dance just how I feel at the moment. Everytime I think i make progress..I haven't actually...or not in any useful way. I keep getting stuck in the same rut. And when I try to take the figurative 'training wheels' off I fall on my face.

I know, I know its probably one of those annoying plateau's again....but I do seem to have more plateau's than progress. >:(

I know, I know its probably one of those annoying plateau's again....but I do seem to have more plateau's than progress. >:(

If you're having multiple plateaus, you must be improving in between them, otherwise it would just be one long plateau. No? :blink:

Two steps forward, one step back..no not a dance just how I feel at the moment. Everytime I think i make progress..I haven't actually...or not in any useful way. I keep getting stuck in the same rut. And when I try to take the figurative 'training wheels' off I fall on my face.

Funny you should say that because I was going to write to you and say that your Bobby Shafto recording shows definite improvement. You are coordinating your left hand and right hands much better. You just need to practice more so that you do not have to even think about what you are doing. We all reach certain plateau's and it takes time to get to the next one.

Al

There you are Dave both the same comment in a few seconds

Edited by Alan Day

If constant practice starts to become tedious and appears to have become unproductive take a day or two ( or more ) off, and then when you return to the task it may well be with renewed enthusiasm, be more effective, more fun and more rewarding.

I would also recommend putting in the ground work first before moving on to tunes.It is like painting and decorating before preparation.

All those things that most think are boring are the very things which moves your playing forward.

Al

LDT,

You're probably a lot further along than I am but having taught myself a number of other instruments when I was MUCH younger, I find this helpful ....

I play until I'm making more mistakes than correct notes. I won't admit when this happens!

Have a good night's sleep

Play every scale and exercise that you think you need

Listen to the tuen again

Play it.

I'm finding that I get much better the second day, after a rest. Jimmie Allen, Portsmouth, Princess Royal and some other standards are now feeling much bettter. I know that these are probably simple tunes to where you are, but the rest and repeat mantra feels like it helps me.

And lots of scales, of course.

Cheers,

Rod in Tucson

Funny you should say that because I was going to write to you and say that your Bobby Shafto recording shows definite improvement. You are coordinating your left hand and right hands much better. You just need to practice more so that you do not have to even think about what you are doing. We all reach certain plateau's and it takes time to get to the next one.

Ah my little holiday vid. I still keep messing it up when it goes to the LH side.

I'm finding that I get much better the second day, after a rest. Jimmie Allen, Portsmouth, Princess Royal and some other standards are now feeling much bettter. I know that these are probably simple tunes to where you are, but the rest and repeat mantra feels like it helps me.

Nearly a year and I'm still stuck on the one tune Bobbie Shaftoe...can't seem to process anything more sophisticated..so you are ahead of me.

Ah my little holiday vid. I still keep messing it up when it goes to the LH side.

Nearly a year and I'm still stuck on the one tune Bobbie Shaftoe...can't seem to process anything more sophisticated..so you are ahead of me.

I'm even more a beginner than Rod so can't give any advice about the concertina (and I chose the English because I really couldn't understand the concept of an instrument without all the notes and then more than one note on the same key) but I think that you're getting hung up on B. Shaftoe. I've been looking at your Youtube page, you play far more tunes than that, why not forget B Shaftoe for a week or so and play some of the others?

You need to move on to better instrument. Told you. You need a Rochelle. At least.

I wonder for how long you are going to be proving to yourself that your life is worth less than $350?

Or are you expecting to live forever?

Have you given yourself a goal? Where do you see yourself as a player 3 years from now? Do you still picture yourself playing that same bottom line instrument? You'll be 3 years older 3 years from now!

Have I given you a clue?

You need to move on to better instrument. Told you. You need a Rochelle. At least.

Hi m3838, you've obviously not seen LDT's recent post announcing that her brand new Tedrow will be arriving any day now. Progress should increase dramatically after that! :)

I'm even more a beginner than Rod so can't give any advice about the concertina (and I chose the English because I really couldn't understand the concept of an instrument without all the notes and then more than one note on the same key) but I think that you're getting hung up on B. Shaftoe. I've been looking at your Youtube page, you play far more tunes than that, why not forget B Shaftoe for a week or so and play some of the others?

you see the other tunes I play but I don't Play....its all from writing out the button numbers' rather than actually off by heart.

Hi m3838, you've obviously not seen LDT's recent post announcing that her brand new Tedrow will be arriving any day now. Progress should increase dramatically after that! :)

I wouldn't say any day gotta end final payment first.... ;) takes 3 working days to transfer apparently.

Edited by LDT

"you see the other tunes I play but I don't Play....its all from writing out the button numbers' rather than actually off by heart."

LDT, there are a couple of things I've discovered on this path that we've chosen for ourselves of playing concertina. It is a rocky road and we are the only one with the motivation to keep on the winding track and we are climbing it alone. The most anyone else can do is "cheer from the sidelines" but the effort is ours alone. For many of us, the type of challenge presented by learning is of a different nature to any challenges we've faced before, there are no short cuts, and the process of gaining skill and knowledge is never-ending. Its a little like golf, no-one has ever done a round in 18 shots so there is always a challenge to get better, however good you are.

Something else which I'm reminded of from your earlier videos, this is one area of creativity where it is difficult to over-do the expression. We know that some actors ham-up their parts and come over corny by putting too much expression into their playing. Music isn't like that, and the concertina isn't about just pressing the buttons in the right sequence. Find a slow air that you like, (listen to Danny playing Rosline castle for example) get the notes and "ham it up to the hilt". Even if it comes out awful it will be done with feeling and that has to be an area to work on to get away from just pushing the buttons in sequence. But you know this anyway and your playing is hugely improved.

Keep at it girl, keep on the rocky road, we're here cheering you on!

you see the other tunes I play but I don't Play....its all from writing out the button numbers' rather than actually off by heart.

Perhaps more blind leading the blind and maybe I'm completely out on a limb but I can't see why its necessary to play by heart, especially when you're learning the instrument.

I read music so I use that. I'm sure that prof Rat played the keel row on the other thread from the music, he most definitely played the piece

I'm envious of your new instrument. I haven't had my Jackie long and its a very goog beginners instrument but I'm already trying to work out how I can possibly afford an upgrade.

Edited by HelenM

LDT,

It appears that in a short while you will reach 1000 posts to this forum...in less than a year. Heres to the next thousand posts where, perhaps, you will realise that no one plays as well as they would like to. Just get on with it and enjoy your playing and your learning.

You will soon have your new instrument. It will make a lot of difference in your playing, but it wont be magic. The magic is in you. Stop complaing how bad you are and keep looking for the magic. We are all looking for it too. Its right at your fingertips.

fjb

Edited by fiddlerjoebob

Ah, there she goes. Just right timing.

It might be that first first impression will be: "Wow, what a great instrument". Second will be: "Wow, do I suck?" Then she'll get used to being more careful with bellows, and all of a sudden - a huge leap up.

Something I learned a long time ago - and primarily for another instrument, but - NOBODY in the whole world plays like me, better than me.

Also here's quote from Chet Atkins, Nashville producer and world famous guitar player "I never met a guitarist I didn't learn something from".

Just play and enjoy, T.

You will soon have your new instrument. It will make a lot of difference in your playing, but it wont be magic. The magic is in you. Stop complaing how bad you are and keep looking for the magic. We are all looking for it too. Its right at your fingertips.

so how's your 'magic'? How far have you got? :)

Ah, there she goes. Just right timing.

It might be that first first impression will be: "Wow, what a great instrument". Second will be: "Wow, do I suck?" Then she'll get used to being more careful with bellows, and all of a sudden - a huge leap up.

I have to be carefull with bellows anyway in order to play quietly so no one but me can hear. ;)

I have to be carefull with bellows anyway in order to play quietly so no one but me can hear. ;)

I thought the idea was to play sufficiently loudly so that your "audience" could hear you. :unsure: