Dog Days in Ithaca?

No idea what Dog Days in Ithaca is, but last century (!) Anne and I had a gig nearby and took the chance to stay in the town and visit Joel Cowan, who was resident there at the time. I remember Ithaca with enormous fondness for its scenic beauty and human scale as a town - just about the only European style pedestrian precinct we met anywhere in the States. I'd dearly love to go back to the Finger Lakes sometime and see the Taughannock Falls when it isn't raining.

Sorry, completely off topic, but a lovely, lovely place.

Chris

Anne and I had a gig nearby and took the chance to stay in the town and visit Joel Cowan, who was resident there at the time.

Going further off topic; how was Joel?

He always sounded like a "larger than life" character when he was editing "Concertina & Squeezebox" in the late 80's/early 90's?

No idea what Dog Days in Ithaca is, but last century (!)z Anne and I had a gig nearby and took the chance to stay in the town and visit Joel Cowan, who was resident there at the time. I remember Ithaca with enormous fondness for its scenic beauty and human scale as a town - just about the only European style pedestrian precinct we met anywhere in the States. I'd dearly love to go back to the Finger Lakes sometime and see the Taughannock Falls when it isn't raining.

The Dog Days Morris ale.

And you're right, it's a lovely region. I was there last year with my real Morris side and thoroughly enjoyed it, so when an opportunity to be a guest muso with a different side came up, I didn't think twice.

He always sounded like a "larger than life" character when he was editing "Concertina & Squeezebox" in the late 80's/early 90's?

He was quite charming, though that charm could quickly move away from you to someone else if they attracted his attention. He showed us some of his scrimshaw work, which was very beautiful. Something that perhaps presaged an unpleasant future was when he offered for sale to me a Herrington square-ended anglo he'd received for review. I subsequently learned it was not his to sell ...

Chris

He was quite charming, though that charm could quickly move away from you to someone else if they attracted his attention. He showed us some of his scrimshaw work, which was very beautiful. Something that perhaps presaged an unpleasant future was when he offered for sale to me a Herrington square-ended anglo he'd received for review. I subsequently learned it was not his to sell ...

Chris

And then he disappeared from view?

And then he disappeared from view?

Completely. The last I heard, and this was a few years ago, he was working in a factory trying to pay off some of his debts. I was, at one time, part of a small group that included his brother and Rich Morse who were trying to arrange a move of the C&S archives to another home, but that came to nothing. Presumbaly that archive is still with Joel, wherever he is.

Chris

• 9 years later...

This is probably a dead thread, but I'd love to get back in contact with Joel.

He sold me my first Anglo, which I played for over twenty years. .

He doesn't owe me money and he never did anything to hurt or insult me.

I just like him and his larger than life persona. 

Thanks for any help....

On 3/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, David Levine said:

Thanks for any help....

I don't know the answer, but know someone who probably does, and I'll ask him and report back.

jb

On 3/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, David Levine said:

Thanks for any help....

Uh...my friend who worked with him on C and S says nobody has heard from him in years.  Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Well, as long as the thread is revived, I am planning to be at Dog Days this year (July 26 - 28, 2019) with my Morris team. Anybody else?

Sadly, not me.  I've been there with 3 different sides, but 2 of them are defunct, and my primary side has other priorities.  Too bad - it's a fun event.