Meaningfull Practice

Absolutely Alan!

I was recorded playing concertina yesterday -- first time.

I have serious rhythm issues. I knew I had them, but I didn't know they were that bad! Definitely gives me something to work on!

Do you play the trumpet bits?

Smashing Doug something I have always wanted to do.

I cheat with a BpF

Al

Actually, it's the trumpet and piano players I have the most trouble with. I'm OK with the notes on the slower stuff but the phrasing eludes me. I must have been a clarinet or saxophone player in a previous life. My favorite jazz musicians to play along with are Sidney Bechet, Acker Bilk, Gene Ammons and Hank Crawford. I also love to "accompany" female singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Cassandra Wilson and Jane Monheit.

And I have a C trumpet, so I don't have to transpose when I (try to) read fiddle music.

I have a friend who plays a C Melody saxophone for the same reason. It has a lovely sound!

And I have a C trumpet, so I don't have to transpose when I (try to) read fiddle music.
I have a friend who plays a C Melody saxophone for the same reason. It has a lovely sound!

It does. I have one of those, too... BUT

... there's a tiny inscription on it that says, "Low Pitch".

It's really in B! (That's H for the Europeans who think B means Bb. :) )

I didn't realize that until I got it home. :( Luckily, I didn't pay a lot for it.

It's really in B! (That's H for the Europeans who think B means Bb. :) )

I didn't realize that until I got it home. :( Luckily, I didn't pay a lot for it.

Jim,

This would be *very* unusual. Low pitch on saxophones almost always refers to A=440 as opposed to A=456. Most modern horns are pitched to 440 without mention of the L. Some saxophones are marked A, meaning American because they were the odd guys for a while. A meant A=440 too. A lot of vintage horns without the L are pitched to 456. A c-melody with the L on it is usually a sought after horn because when c-molodies were popular, may were pitched too high.

You may need to push the mouthpiece further on. Or you may have a faulty neck or otherwise be out of adjustment. Could also be your embouchure.

You could find out for sure by posting on saxontheweb.net where there are many friendly and knowledgeable posters. One problem there is that knowledgeable and not knowledgeable posters can be difficult to suss out.

Good luck,

Kurt

It's really in B!
This would be *very* unusual. Low pitch on saxophones almost always refers to A=440 as opposed to A=456.

Then unusual it is. With the mouthpiece pushed all the way on, its A is precisely in tune with the Ab on my A440 concertinas.

Most modern horns are pitched to 440 without mention of the L.  Some saxophones are marked A, meaning American because they were the odd guys for a while.  A meant A=440 too.  A lot of vintage horns without the L are pitched to 456.  A c-melody with the L on it is usually a sought after horn because when c-molodies were popular, many were pitched too high.

It does not just say "L". It really says, in small block roman letters, "LOW PITCH". Is that also unusual?

You may need to push the mouthpiece further on.
It's already on all the way.
Or you may have a faulty neck or otherwise be out of adjustment.
Seems to me that it would take a serious maladjustment to make a full half-step difference. Also, I think it would make the instrument out of tune with itself, especially at the top of the scale. Am I wrong?
Could also be your embouchure.
I have no trouble with my soprano (also -- and really -- in C). Could the bigger mouthpiece really account for a consistent half-step? Or could an old, ratty reed? (I really need to get some new reeds.) I personally doubt it.

You could find out for sure by posting on saxontheweb.net where there are many friendly and knowledgeable posters.

Thanks. I should try that.

One problem there is that knowledgeable and not knowledgeable posters can be difficult to suss out.

A problem I've experienced elsewhere. :)