Tedrow and Wakker in Wall Street Journal Magazine

Yep,

We made it.

http://tinyurl.com/lohp8q

From the article:

For Tedrow, the instrument’s appeal is obvious: “What other instrument combines reeds, springs, levers, fancy wood- and leatherwork, beautiful tone and lovely old-time appeal with the portability of a six-pack of beer?”

Bob, I thought your instruments weighed much less than a (full) six pack. :unsure:

Yep,

We made it.

From the article:

For Tedrow, the instrument’s appeal is obvious: “What other instrument combines reeds, springs, levers, fancy wood- and leatherwork, beautiful tone and lovely old-time appeal with the portability of a six-pack of beer?”

Bob, I thought your instruments weighed much less than a (full) six pack. :unsure:

They don't stay full that long.......

Uh-oh...all we need is a run on concertina prices now... :rolleyes:

With that statement in the article that, "An early-20th-century Wheatstone can go for as much as $14,000..."?

Among the various possible consequences:

.. 1) Speculators will bid decent instruments out of reach of "ordinary" folk.

.. 2) Anybody with a concertina of dubious value will now be able unload it at a hefty profit on the sort of investor who followed Wall Street's advice on risky derivatives and mortgages.

.. 3) Nothing much will change. (A single "highlight" article rarely sets off an avalanche.)

.. 4) Invent your own scenario.

Don't worry, no one pays attention to Wim and I.

Uh-oh...all we need is a run on concertina prices now... :rolleyes:

With that statement in the article that, "An early-20th-century Wheatstone can go for as much as $14,000..."?

Among the various possible consequences:

.. 1) Speculators will bid decent instruments out of reach of "ordinary" folk.

.. 2) Anybody with a concertina of dubious value will now be able unload it at a hefty profit on the sort of investor who followed Wall Street's advice on risky derivatives and mortgages.

.. 3) Nothing much will change. (A single "highlight" article rarely sets off an avalanche.)

From the article:

Don't you need both, for a proper barbecue? :unsure:

very_early_pic.jpg

From the article:

Don't you need both, for a proper barbecue? :unsure:

very_early_pic.jpg

Must be the beer..I could swear he's playing that concertina backwards...

Concertinas will replace gold as the worldwide base for currency in hopes that their appreciation in value will boost the global economy. Unfortunately third world countries will try to melt theirs down into jewelry thus rendering them useless which will crash their economies. Famine and pestilence will follow engulfing two thirds of the planet.

Developed countries will close their borders and hording of concertinas will begin as each major power sends agents out to buy up (at pennies on the dollar) any concertinas left in the famine stricken zones.

War will soon follow with the remaining powers setting up lines of defense with names like “The Wheatstone line”, “The Lachenal Front” and “The Jeffries Kill Zone”.

Faux concertina cases will be filled with explosives and mailed as gifts to the heads of states creating global chaos at a never before seen level.

Of course nuclear war is inevitable sending mankind back to the Stone Age if there are any of us left after the nuclear winter.

You’ll have to excuse me now, It' time to leave for the bunker. :(

Concertinas will replace gold as the worldwide base for currency ... Developed countries will close their borders and hording of concertinas will begin ...

... as the Horniman Museum becomes the new Bank of England! :blink:

So, how many notes to the pound? ;)

Chris

Kudos to you both, Bob and Wim for the article. A nice bit of writing says I. Aside from the brilliant 6-pack quote, I really liked “..few modern gadgets can deliver the sensory pleasures of a concertina as it breathes and sings between one’s hands.” - David Knowles

Kudos to you both, Bob and Wim for the article. A nice bit of writing says I. Aside from the brilliant 6-pack quote, I really liked “..few modern gadgets can deliver the sensory pleasures of a concertina as it breathes and sings between one’s hands.” - David Knowles

A very welcome effort to encourage bankers to join the REAL world !

The publicity may lead to a period on irrational exhuberance in the global concertina market but the spike will end, the bubble will burst and I'll still be waiting patiently on Colin's list.

Edited by dwinterfield

Yep,

We made it.

Bob

Someone has to say it. In the Wall Street Journal, it always comes down to inflation and deflation.

Still, congratulations to both Bob and Wim. I have dealt with both, and they both deserve more credit for making it possible for more people to play the concertina.

Dan Madden