110 Irish Concertina Tunes

stevejay

I missed the 28b Jones on ebay, so I ordered this to console myself... 110 Concertina Tunes and the CD..

Any thoughts? Seems great, I really need to hear a tune to make it sound right, and the player on the CD seems very good.

I missed the 28b Jones on ebay, so I ordered this to console myself... 110 Concertina Tunes and the CD..

Any thoughts? Seems great, I really need to hear a tune to make it sound right, and the player on the CD seems very good.

I have been using it on and off, and like it. It's also great for an "unindexed reference" for triplets, runs and variations. Mr. Lynch is a fierce player, but I haven't used the cd as much as would have liked to, as I keep the book in the shed, where there's no power for the portable cd player I don't have.....

I have been using it on and off, and like it. It's also great for an "unindexed reference" for triplets, runs and variations. Mr. Lynch is a fierce player, but I haven't used the cd as much as would have liked to, as I keep the book in the shed, where there's no power for the portable cd player I don't have.....

Is there a slower version or just up tempo?

Is there a slower version or just up tempo?

I only know of this version. I find that the cd is good for hearing what Mr.Lynch make it sounds like in tempo, then I can try to figure out the tunes nice and slow. For slowing down recordings, this app has been very helpful for me : http://www.ronimusic.com/ (Click on Amazing Slow Downer)

Snorre

I find that the cd is good for hearing what Mr.Lynch make it sounds like in tempo, then I can try to figure out the tunes nice and slow. For slowing down recordings, this app has been very helpful for me : http://www.ronimusic.com/ (Click on Amazing Slow Downer)

Snorre

The most recent couple of versions of Windows Media Player slow down without pitch change too. View, Enhancements, Play speed settings.

Free download "Audacity" also does it AFAIK.

Tom

I find that the cd is good for hearing what Mr.Lynch make it sounds like in tempo, then I can try to figure out the tunes nice and slow. For slowing down recordings, this app has been very helpful for me : http://www.ronimusic.com/ (Click on Amazing Slow Downer)

Snorre

The most recent couple of versions of Windows Media Player slow down without pitch change too. View, Enhancements, Play speed settings.

Free download "Audacity" also does it AFAIK.

Tom

Close to my solution, I ripped them to mp3 with Nero, now play them back 1/2 speed with MP. Like night and day, they were recorded at speed, way too fast for instruction. At 1/2 it is managable to learn from.

Amazing slow downer os awesome, but a $50 investment for the full and more useful version.

Edited by stevejay

I make multiple tape recordings of a tune I want to learn and use his dots which convert to ABc so I find it a useful tool. Aogan is a great player - Suttner I think.

I then PAT (play along to) or PADI (play ad infinitum) or PADN ( play ad nauseam) Then leave it to go undergraound for a while , the latent learning seems to go on.

Edited by michael sam wild

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments guys. The recording of the cd was pretty rushed, but it does the job I suppose.

One thing I did put a lot of work into was the notation. I didn't just open a book of O'Neils tunes and play them as written. What I did was play them FIRST, and THEN I went back and listened to myself and wrote the tunes out exactly as I had played them. So, a fiddle player might pick up the book and wonder what the hell is wrong with the way the tune is written, but for a concertina player it should be a lot more helpful.

No harm to turn the tables anyway, as most tunes notations are written out for fiddle playing and don't suit 'tina's at all. :)

What I did was play them FIRST, and THEN I went back and listened to myself and wrote the tunes out exactly as I had played them.

I think that's what makes it good. After a while many of the runs/ornaments/variations came through as "functional" for the concertina.

Playing these transcriptions out on fiddle (which is my first instrument), is a whole different kettle of fish........ :lol:

Anyway, good work there Aogan!

S

Thanks for the compliments guys. The recording of the cd was pretty rushed, but it does the job I suppose.

One thing I did put a lot of work into was the notation. I didn't just open a book of O'Neils tunes and play them as written. What I did was play them FIRST, and THEN I went back and listened to myself and wrote the tunes out exactly as I had played them. So, a fiddle player might pick up the book and wonder what the hell is wrong with the way the tune is written, but for a concertina player it should be a lot more helpful.

No harm to turn the tables anyway, as most tunes notations are written out for fiddle playing and don't suit 'tina's at all. :)

Hi Aogan

What's the best way to hear more of your playing all through some tunes on a CD? Chance of a shameless plug!

Hi Aogan

What's the best way to hear more of your playing all through some tunes on a CD? Chance of a shameless plug!

:)

Emmm. I don't have a solo cd out, and no plans to make one, but you'll certainly hear me on the Slide albums. Slide is a band I've been in since 1999, we have four albums out now, three studio albums and a new live album this year -see slide.ie for links and info and stuff.

Other than that, I've an album out with a fiddle player by the name of Michelle O Brien and a guitar player Gavin Ralston, which I'm pretty happy with. -I'll keep ye posted with any more :D

• 2 weeks later...