Jeffries 30 button G/D

bargemans

I see on your eBay listing that you mention insurance with Royal Mail. I investigated insurance on posted instruments only last week and was told emphatically that, although they insure other items up to £2500, they will not insure any musical instrument. The only way to send it insured is to use a private courier it seems.

Sorry to see that you're selling your Jeffries Andrew.

I hope the sale goes well for you, it should do....it looks a very fine instrument.

Its a lovely concertina.

The problem is I'm used to playing with a Wheastone button layout

which I have on my Dippers and this one of course, has the standard Jeffries system.

I could have it changed of course but this seems sacraligeous especially considering the original reeds etc. Andrew

Hope you were pleased with the price bargemans and that the deal completes satisfactorily.

Am I right in thinking you didn't have a reserve on it? Quite a thing to do to trust that the auction would find the right value, (though very little gets missed on Ebay as far as I can tell.) Tactically I'm sure this is the best thing to do when selling. It lets the auction build up some "steam," and gives buyers the confidence of having other people bidding nearby.

You see lots of listings where someone has started something too close to the expected selling price. Doesn't generate excitement, doesn't give confidence, and often means no bids.

Any comments on the experience of selling a high end instrument this way?

(Interesting though that although it's a lot of money, and a valuable concertina, that price is trivial in, say, car dealing terms!)

Tom

(Interesting though that although it's a lot of money, and a valuable concertina, that price is trivial in, say, car dealing terms!)

It's also trivial in, say, violin terms. The very best concertinas are pretty cheap when compared with the very best of more mainstream instruments.

Chris

It's also trivial in, say, violin terms. The very best concertinas are pretty cheap when compared with the very best of more mainstream instruments.

Chris

Yes, but that's only because Stradivarius never made concertinas. ;) Now, if he had...... :unsure:

Chris

Hmmm... I wonder if my 38 button Jeffries G/D is worth more or less than that. Not that it's for sale, mind :o

Chris

Personally, I now despair of ever being able to afford a Jeffries. Only God and Chris Algar have any idea of where the limit is, and I'm not sure if God is really up to speed on this one.

Best hang onto that concertina, Chris; quite apart from the music, it may be the key to your fortune.

Best hang onto that concertina, Chris; quite apart from the music, it may be the key to your fortune.

I can imagine circumstances under which I would sell this concertina. These include advance warning of an asteroid strike or perhaps of the invention of a matter duplicator. Otherwise it's with me till I die*. Oh, and Jim Lucas gets first refusal anyway :)

*I gave up my 4 year old place in the Dippers waiting list to keep this miraculous Jeffries, what more can I say?

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Personally, I now despair of ever being able to afford a Jeffries.

They do seem to fetch some amazing prices. It's worth bearing in mind that there are other quite superb instruments around by other makers which don't seem to attract the extraordinary premium that the Jeffries name bestows.