Where can I get decent chamois leather for end of bellow frames?

Hi All!

Have just finished refurbishing some old bellows and these ones need a new chamois leather seal. I picked some up a while back and fitted it, but it just seems too thin even after packing out underneath.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier (ideally in the UK) or even sell me some?

All the best

Dave

Hello Dave, David Leese stocks suitable chamois but doesn't list it on his site. Drop him an email and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

I'm surprised you're having trouble as most decent hardware stores sell good quality pieces of chamois that should do the job nicely if you cut it up sensibly. Perhaps parts of the concertina are so badly warped that other remedial work is needed?

I have to agree with David that much of the stuff sold in hardware shops is too thin to make good bellows gasket. I've found Halfords to be a good source. They sell different qualities, and the most expensive one that my local Halfords sells is quite acceptable quality. I don't recall the name, but it was not the Halfords own brand. It's worth unpacking the individual skins and checking for consistent thickness across the skin.

Overhere in Europe, chamois leather is available on local week markets. There is always a couple of stands selling cleaning products, some of them sell real chamois leather. Some of the available chammies are thinner then others, some are rather too dry. If I buy one for accordeon pads or concertina I check to find one of suitable thickness, one that's not touched by rain.