Jenny Picking Cockles

michael sam wild

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at info on that great site Fiddler's Companion. Under jenny's Welcome to Charlie it says Gearoid O h'Allmhurain reckons it could be Jean Cameron, supposed mistress to Bonnie Prince Charlie.

As for Jenny Picking Cockles in O'Neill I read somewhere that he got it from James O'Brien, a Mayo piper living in Chicago who 'died of conviviality'! The Flanagan Brothers made the earliest recording in the 20s and Neilidh Boyle made a 78 in 1937.

Apparently the tune is related to an earlier 18th century Scottish tune Johhnies Gone to France and I like mesing about with it as a pipe reel or a Strathspey.

Jenny Picking Cockles
?

Wasn't she one of the wholesalers who supplied Molly Malone? :unsure:

Unlikely. She was only the picker. They would have been sold to a wholesaler and it would be from him/her that Molly bought her supplies. Unless, of course, Molly picked them herself. ;) BTW, when Jenny wasn't picking cockles, she was plucking pears.

Chris

Jenny Picking Cockles
?

Wasn't she one of the wholesalers who supplied Molly Malone? :unsure:

Unlikely. She was only the picker. They would have been sold to a wholesaler and it would be from him/her that Molly bought her supplies. Unless, of course, Molly picked them herself. ;) BTW, when Jenny wasn't picking cockles, she was plucking pears.

Chris

With all that hard work it's no wonder poor Jenny sits a weeping, she was far too exhausted to get up and find her true love.

Here it is played on English Concertina

Nice music and a link to his other stuff on Youtube.

Just shows, as Geoff Wright said on another thread, EC is fine for ITM, in the right hands. And they are cheaper now!

I still like the bounce of the AC