Willie Clancy Week

Guest Peter Laban

Taping by students is encouraged and videos are allowed. It's professional (video) recording that not permitted without license from the committee.

I have a few shots of Gerald Haugh but no other concertinaplayers so far.

Guest Peter Laban

I am just back from the concertina recital, a lovely night, probably the nicest in years. One of the busiest too, the hall was packed to the rafters.

Anyhow, loads of players, a good few that hadn't been on before and a good few of the stalwarts too. Highlights were the special launches of the CD by Tom Carey and the 'Kitty Hayes Remembered' one. Lovely words from Joan Hanrahan who launched the both. Plenty of warm fuzzy moments and a fine appearance of Kitty's daughter Angela who, alongside Josephine Marsh and Dympna O Sullivan, played a few of Kitty's jigs.

The concert was, a break from tradition, presented by Claire Keville who was a fine MC.

Noel Hill's return to the Willie Clancy stage was a surprisingly moving moment. He is obviously still deeply affected by the effects and aftermath of the Christmas assault. He was, very lovingly, supported by his daughter Aisling in a number of duets.

Loads of pictures of everything and everybody, I'll see what I'll do about those.

Guest Peter Laban

[...] the running order running order of the concert, which in order of appearance was:

Mary Ellen Curtin

Claire Keville MC

Kate McNamara

Hugh Healy

Dympna O Sullivan

Katie O Sullivan

Lorraine O Brien

Michelle Mulcahy

Jack Talty

Cait Ni Gabhain (not 100% sure of the name, figured she's Tony Smith/Antoin MacGabhain's daughter)

Edel Fox

Bríd Hill & Tom Carey

Claire Keville

Dympna O Sullivan, Angela Connaughton & Josephine Marsh (launching 'Kitty Hayes Remembered')

Tom Carey, Bríd Hill & Josephine Marsh (launching Tom Carey's CD)

Aoife O Connor & Aoife Kelly

Jacqueline McCarthy & Lucy Benagh

Noel & Aisling Hill

The topic has run it's course, I deleted the pictures

Edited by Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

The topic has run it's course, I deleted the pictures

_xpet__by_Taser_Rander.gif

Edited by Peter Laban

And I'll throw in one misc box player: Charlie Harris, playing for dancers Mick Mulkerrins and Mairead Casey

Willie09CharlieH.jpg

And a very fine (and lively) "misc box player" he is too! ;)

You should hear himself + Anders Trabjerg + Des Mulkere playing for the set dancers in Kinvara, every second week... :D

Lovely images - well exposed and nicely cropped. Not at all easy to get good images in indoor lighting that look natural. I don't see much evidence of flash - did you just use available stage lighting? Must have a fast lens as usually when you zoom in as you might in this situation, you lose aperture. You must be going to bring out a book of images at some stage Peter!!

Guest Peter Laban

It's really the microphones that are the bane of stage photography. All else is easy once you manage to keep them out as much as you can.

All these were available light although I have the flash handy for freezing musicians who rock about too much to get a sharp image at the speed I am using.

Lighting on the stage of the hall is always the same, four fluorescent lights, and has been for the past thirty years (probably longer but that's how long I have been at the concerts for Willie).

For the Saturday concert four stagelights are set up, two of which have an orangy gel filter. You get an interesting mix of light but in fairness it worked out well with a warm-ish light on the subject against a bit cooler/greenish background. You do have to work the white balance settings a bit. Both the wide angle and the telephoto are 2.8 throughout the range.

On the film camera I use 1.4/50 1.8/105 and 2.8/180 and 2.8/24 which leaves you a bit more room at the same speed but at this point I am happy enough working digital for situations like this.

Ah yes, the book.. Christy Mac, Nutan, Tony Kearns and Con Kelleher seem to have the market well covered and have a better head for business than I have.

For now there's the calendar

Edited by Peter Laban

Both the wide angle and the telephoto are 2.8 throughout the range.

On the film camera I use 1.4/50 1.8/105 and 2.8/180 and 2.8/24 which leaves you a bit more room at the same speed but at this point I am happy enough working digital for situations like this.

For now there's the calendar

So was it aKodak Brownie or a..........?

Hi everyone

I was at the Willie Clancy Week at the Uilleann pipe classes and decided to drop in on the Concertina Concert. I was a bit embarrassed when the lady next to me asked me whether Noel Hill was there - since I knew nothing about any concertina players to know who he was.

But, he then appeared at the end of the concert and I must admit I was blown away by the slow air he played which I found very moving. I didn't unfortunately catch the name of the air - anyone know what it was ?

Also has any one any decent photos of any of the Uilleann pipers that played in any of the lunchtime recitals and the evening piping concert ?