Happy Independence Day

Once again we celebrate the "birth" of our nation, with fireworks, feasting, and a reaffirmation of our several freedoms.

For those of you who aren't American, I hope you have reason to celebrate your own countries' special days when they arrive.

Once again we celebrate the "birth" of our nation, with fireworks, feasting, and a reaffirmation of our several freedoms.

For those of you who aren't American, I hope you have reason to celebrate your own countries' special days when they arrive.

And I hear you have something else to celebrate. Something Jeffries like, yes?

Happy 4th July to all the American C.net members :) .

I have reason to remember 4th July, after being hit by a car on this day in 2008 :( . I've had my own little "celebration", today, since I managed to walk 20 miles for the first time since the accident! Visited a huge lavender field (as last year) but successfully made it to lunch this time (walking past the road where the accident took place).

As to celebrating our own "special day" in England, not a lot happens, and I'd like to think that this thread will not re-visit the theme of the thread which has recently been closed.

So; let's keep this thread American :) .

Regards,

Peter.

That seems unnecessarily restrictive.

I currently live in Denmark... though on "our" Constitution Day I was singing at a festival in Norway

And I've just saluted America's Independence Day with a wee spot of single-malt Scotch. :)

That seems unnecessarily restrictive.

I currently live in Denmark... though on "our" Constitution Day I was singing at a festival in Norway

And I've just saluted America's Independence Day with a wee spot of single-malt Scotch. :)

July 4 is my father's birthday. He's not around to celebrate it with me, but I'll do it in his absence. Even a cup or tea. Then again, I also observe Boxing day so go figure?

Rod In Tucson

Let's see: Independence Day Parade in Independence, Oregon, Check.

Fireworks over the river 3 nights in a row? Check.

Barbecued chicken, homemade potato salad, baked beans, beer and then Marionberry pie? Check.

Shooting fireworks with my cousin into the other river from a homemade wooden rowboat? Check.

A tasting of 12 different local wines among my family and friends? Check

All's right with the world.

Happy Independence Day to all you independents. ;)

Rob

July 4 is my father's birthday. He's not around to celebrate it with me, but I'll do it in his absence. Even a cup or tea. Then again, I also observe Boxing day so go figure?

Rod In Tucson

Not Rod's father, but it is my birthday. Oddly enough, my father's birthday was yesterday. He's not around anymore either, died in a construction accident in May of '92.

Alan

Personally speaking Jim, {living in Northern Ireland, as I do} I'm always wary of any kind of 'Flag Waving'. :unsure:

Not being a great believer in those, as I see them, negative feelings of Nationalism & Patriotism anyway, when I see a lot of flag waving going on, I'm never really sure where the thin line ends between harmless fun & Jingoism. But then that's just me. :rolleyes:

That said, I've always got time to celebrate with a little harmless music, so I was happy to take these videos in the hours running up to the 4th of July, of these two American musicians who were just passing through the Glens of Antrim.

Cheers

Dick

Personally speaking Jim, {living in Northern Ireland, as I do} I'm always wary of any kind of 'Flag Waving'. :unsure:

But Dick, you're the only one so far to mention a flag. :unsure:

And here in Denmark, we don't so much wave the flag (except when greeting an arriving traveler) as use it to wrap gifts, guide the way to a party, or otherwise mark a celebration. (My neighbors fly the big flag on birthdays, including mine, though I'm not Danish.)

That said, I've always got time to celebrate with a little harmless music, so I was happy to take these videos in the hours running up to the 4th of July, of these two American musicians who were just passing through the Glens of Antrim.

Nice.

That prompted me to hunt up

. :) (The tune's original Irish name is The Gobby-O.)

Jim,

I had noticed that the anniversary of the end of tea-drinking in the transatlantic colonies was upon us - I subscribe to a couple of very US-dominated mailing lists! ;)

On one list, someone posted the slogan "One nation under God!", which was greeted by a volley of "Amens", "Right ons", etc.

As an Ulsterman living in Germany, the tone of this struck me like a mixture of "This we will maintain" and "Deutschland über alles".

But let us ascend our soapbox and look at this simple phrase:

"One nation under God."

"One nation" indeed - just one of many. Although other nations may have a different word for god, or even a differnt concept of god.

"Under God" indeed. God is above us all, not automatically on our side. Unless we are on His side.

I pray that the descendants of those who coined this phrase may be aware of this deeper meaning, and take what influence is possible on the leaders of that great (large?) country!

Have a wonderful 4th - as the modern Pagans say, "Do what you will, an it harm none".

Descending from the soap-box, let me add that I find national holidays a wonderful excuse for junketing of all kinds, and especially for making music. Each nation has its own very special music, and we should celebrate that!

Cheers,

John

Footnote: If you prefer, for "God" read "That higher being that we worship". (If you're an atheist, God help you! ;) )

Happy 4th July to all the American C.net members :) .

I have reason to remember 4th July, after being hit by a car on this day in 2008 :( . I've had my own little "celebration", today, since I managed to walk 20 miles for the first time since the accident! Visited a huge lavender field (as last year) but successfully made it to lunch this time (walking past the road where the accident took place).

As to celebrating our own "special day" in England, not a lot happens, and I'd like to think that this thread will not re-visit the theme of the thread which has recently been closed.

Regards,

Peter.

:rolleyes: I just love the 26th of January. :P

Oh, and sorry that you got hit by a car last year, and I'm glad you've recovered. ;)

BTW- the Aussie government didn't keep Waltzing Matilda as the national anthem because 'it didn't represent the average Australian.' A load of rubbish that is; Advance Australian Fair is far too proud. I don't like it as well because they only sing 1 vers at Rugby Union games and they completely leave out the 3rd 4th verses.

Edited by Patrick King

"One nation under God."

Hmmm I notice they don't say One nation under One God, for at the last count, they reckon there were about 38,000 Christian denominations! :blink: I'm not sure how many of those exist in America but anyway, that's not taking into account all the other "higher beings" that folks worship over there.

I'm not sure whether they all believe they're worshipping the same God, or perhaps just a better one than the fellow down the road, but no doubt they probably each feel they have the fast track to that eternal session in the sky! ;)

I love the 4th.

I love what the holiday represents. I am grateful for those who have gone before me and have sacrificed so that I may enjoy personal freedoms that many in this world do not have. I love the flag as it is a representation for this as well. I love the parades, fireworks, barbeques, and time with family and friends. May we always honor those who have given personal sacrifice to bring more goodness into this world.

Farion