Haunted by Concertinas

My wife and I went on a little road trip to deliver our visiting nephew back to his house approximately 3 hours away. We decided to stop at a roadside statuary shop. There were birdbaths and lovely fountains everywhere. All of a sudden there it was , a concertina playing garden gnome. I thought about it, but resisted the urge to purchase. Next stop was lunch at a sandwich shop, then popped into an antique store adjacent. Great idea, but although 40 miles from the statuary shop there it was. Another concertina playing garden gnome. Different face, different face, larger. I once again avoided the urge. we dropped my nephew at his house, then proceeded to the historic district in Titusville. Stepped into another antique shop and there I saw it. Yes a concertina playing Santa Claus. No, I did not buy it. The next shop had, you guessed it a concertina playing angel. No, no purchase. I fear that Christmas time this year may bring concertina playing figurines from my wife and nephew.

Florida.

My home town (and "historic downtown" is charitable). I had no idea concertina gnomes lived here.

I play sometimes at Parrish Park and at the Chain of Lakes if you ever hear concertina music wafting on the air.

NNY

Edited by NoNaYet

• 3 weeks later...

Historic Titusville, where? I live in Titusville.

Florida.

My home town ... I play sometimes at Parrish Park and at the Chain of Lakes if you ever hear concertina music wafting on the air.

Really? Gosh, I was there a few years ago, visiting Gold Tone banjos - didn't hear any concertinas though... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Really? Gosh, I was there a few years ago, visiting Gold Tone banjos - didn't hear any concertinas though... :huh:

You came from Clare to Titusville? I hope you visited some of the pretty parts of the US as well.

Amazing that we're a center for decent banjos, just like who would have picked Birmingham (Alabama) as a home for good concertinas.

If I am very lucky, maybe someday I'll visit Clare.

OK, some honesty. Florida has charms and ugly spots just like anyplace. We can't compete with a lot of the world, and you really have to be one of the inmates to fully understand this state, but I make a sunrise ride almost every morning, and it can be very pretty then.

NNY

Earlier this spring I was checking out garden shops and we found a concertina playing rat statue which was hard to turn down.

Alan,

Was that this one:

AlextheRat.jpg

Alex the Rat is a whimsical musical addition to your garden or lawn. Finely detailed face for added appeal Little accordion looks authentic for added appeal Cast from a rubber mold for a seamless finish Weather-resistant for durability Comical gesture will delight all Available in a variety of finishes

You came from Clare to Titusville? I hope you visited some of the pretty parts of the US as well.

Not exactly, I was living in Dublin at the time, and I did go to LA and New Orleans before I went to Titusville that trip.

The train journey (from New Orleans) to Orlando was made unforgettable in the morning, when the conductor apologised for their running two hours late because "there'd been alligators on the tracks overnight" - which was certainly the most interesting excuse I ever heard! It sure beats the traditional British "wet leaves on the tracks"... :blink:

If I am very lucky, maybe someday I'll visit Clare.

It's worth a visit, though it would be very easy not to see a concertina...

... I make a sunrise ride almost every morning, and it can be very pretty then.

That's before the rain? :unsure:

Earlier this spring I was checking out garden shops and we found a concertina playing rat statue which was hard to turn down.

Alan,

Was that this one:

AlextheRat.jpg

Alex the Rat is a whimsical musical addition to your garden or lawn. Finely detailed face for added appeal Little accordion looks authentic for added appeal Cast from a rubber mold for a seamless finish Weather-resistant for durability Comical gesture will delight all Available in a variety of finishes

Yup

Alan

The train journey (from New Orleans) to Orlando was made unforgettable in the morning, when the conductor apologised for their running two hours late because "there'd been alligators on the tracks overnight"

That's a convenient excuse; there are gators EVERYwhere in Flawda.