Does anybody know the current value of a Dipper Clare?

You mean the price of a new one from Colin, if it were delivered today? You might try asking him.

I think used ones come on the market so rarely (anybody here know of even one changing hands within the past year?) that there's no way to establish a "market" price. It would be whatever seller and buyer could agree on... or whatever it might fetch on eBay at or above the seller's reserve.

I concurr with Jim's advice. For what it is worth...I saw a used Dipper County Clare advertised about a year and a half ago by a gentleman in the northern U.S.A. for USD $8,000.00. At that time the asking price for the used concertina was more than what Colin was charging for new County Clare concertinas....without the three to four years waiting period. I am currently on the waiting list for a different Dipper model. When considering placing an order with Colin he will advise you that the current quote for a concertina may be different from the final price to be paid on delivery....due to increases in materials, parts etc. which are beyond his control and that of the Euro. Colin is very friendly, approachable and honest. One has to ask yourself: Do I want to wait for a new Dipper for several years or pay a higher price to a seller of a used concertina who offers it immediately? I would venture to say that an owner of Dipper County Clare (in a new condition) could possibly sell their instrument for $10,000. (+ / - ). The person with the "dough" or "bread" will get the Dipper. There may be other people who have a more informed opinion than mine...who may advise you other wise.

Yeah, US$10000 would make sense for a used one in good condition, but it also depends on how many buttons/reeds it has. I often wonder how much it would take for me to separate myself from my Dipper... I'm not even sure I'd sell it for US$20000.

Yeah, US$10000 would make sense for a used one in good condition, but it also depends on how many buttons/reeds it has. I often wonder how much it would take for me to separate myself from my Dipper... I'm not even sure I'd sell it for US$20000.

i'm wondering whether or not 10k is a bit high of a price.

With the current value of US money versus the Euro, I'm pretty sure a County Clare model would sell around that, close to 7000 euros I'd say. But then, who knows?

With the current value of US money versus the Euro, I'm pretty sure a County Clare model would sell around that, close to 7000 euros I'd say. But then, who knows?

hmm... when you put it that way it might make sense.

although i'm not too sure on the resale value, i can say two things: a.) it would be worth 10k, and b.) it is definitely worth 20k. i think if concertinas were even marginally more popular, then we would never be able to afford the instruments we play now.

I purchased a two year old County Clare three years ago for $6,000 and sold it last year for $6,500. Prior to selling it I purchased an almost thirty year old (but lightly used) 40-button Dipper Anglo for $8,000. Wish I would have bought the latter a year earlier when the owner was only asking $7,000. In each case the selling prices were based on Colin's recommendations as to what he (as the maker) considered them to be worth at the time of sale. I don't doubt that I could have gotten considerably more for the Clare, but like the other two sellers I dealt with, I was interested in "fair value" as established by the maker rather than "how much can I get." I'm not judging others or suggesting that "market value" isn't a viable standard, but that's not the way we decided to set our prices.

I purchased a two year old County Clare three years ago for $6,000 and sold it last year for $6,500. Prior to selling it I purchased an almost thirty year old (but lightly used) 40-button Dipper Anglo for $8,000. Wish I would have bought the latter a year earlier when the owner was only asking $7,000. In each case the selling prices were based on Colin's recommendations as to what he (as the maker) considered them to be worth at the time of sale. I don't doubt that I could have gotten considerably more for the Clare, but like the other two sellers I dealt with, I was interested in "fair value" as established by the maker rather than "how much can I get." I'm not judging others or suggesting that "market value" isn't a viable standard, but that's not the way we decided to set our prices.

Bruce, do you have a photo of your 40 button Dipper? I would love to see how your's look like. I have placed an order with Colin for a 40 button Dipper Anglo...similar to Peter Trimming's Dipper.

Edited by Ben Otto

It's a C/G, but with additional buttons (redundant to certain others) that offer more fingering possibilities in playing various passages. I have to confess I'm only using the 30-button portion of the layout for the most part, I have a couple of other 30-button concertinas and I'm a little afraid that if I get used to using the alternate buttons on the 40 it'll impact my playing of the 30 button models. Bad enough that one is Jeffries layout and the other Wheatstone. I don't what Colin is offering now in 40-button models but this one has ivory buttons and came with a complete set of bone buttons as spares for (international travel) and additional uninstalled reeds so that one could customize the tones of some of the extra buttons if so desired.

I read something a few years back, perhaps on concertina.net, where someone commented that the notion of playing an Anglo with more that 30-buttons seemed to be like cheating...

Wish I could post a photo, I have one of the instrument with the left end off but it seems I'm not smart enough to figure how to post here on concertina.net. I found an "insert image" button but it appears determined that I need to provide an html address rather than an image file. I don't have time to devote to figuring it out now, but if you message me with an email address I'll send you a copy of the photo.

If you have a copy of the Anglo International CD set, this is the concertina that Bertram Levy is pictured with on page 11. It was custom made by Colin and even has Betram's name worked into the fret design and mounting posts for microphones. 19 buttons on the left side and 21 plus the air button on the right. Betram said he had to call Colin and make sure he was OK with him selling it since he'd put a lot of extras into it.

Bruce, do you have a photo of your 40 button Dipper? I would love to see how your's look like. I have placed an order with Colin for a 40 button Dipper Anglo...similar to Peter Trimming's Dipper.

Hi Ben

Peter is kind enough to put this PDF on his website. I think it's what you ask:

http://petertrimming.webs.com/Wheatstone%2...CG%20Layout.pdf

And here are a couple of pictures on the bottom of the page:

http://petertrimming.webs.com/teachyourselfanglo.htm

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo