I playing the concertina

Hello again!

How are you?

I wanted to tell you that there are some videos now in you tube where I play the concertina with my brother, Pancho Álvarez, and Álvaro Iglesias.

You can see them in you tube searching for pancho alvarez or with the direct links

two galician muiñeiras that played the blind fiddler

"ahi vai" and "a miña burriña"

two galician muiñeiras more.

These tunes were recorded in video in the studio of "Casa de Tolos" (Mads House), a discography that launched the last work of Pancho. www.casadetolos.com

http://www.casadetolos.com/beta/index.php?...101&lang=es

We appeared also in the galician tv program Alalá about galician traditional music playing with Pancho that is also in you tube (you can search pancho álvarez alalá), in them is playing also Xurxo Núñez, Carlos Núñez's brother (Pancho plays with them in Carlos Núñez's group).

Félix Castro

Hello again!

How are you?

I wanted to tell you that there are some videos now in you tube where I play the concertina with my brother, Pancho Álvarez, and Álvaro Iglesias.

You can see them in you tube searching for pancho alvarez or with the direct links

These tunes were recorded in video in the studio of "Casa de Tolos" (Mads House), a discography that launched the last work of Pancho. www.casadetolos.com

We appeared also in the galician tv program Alalá about galician traditional music playing with Pancho that is also in you tube (you can search pancho álvarez alalá), in them is playing also Xurxo Núñez, Carlos Núñez's brother (Pancho plays with them in Carlos Núñez's group).

Félix Castro

Nice to hear from you Felix,please pass my regards on to your Brother.

Lovely tunes and arrangements as usual

Al

Hello again!

How are you?

Félix Castro

Very nice tunes and arrangements. You guys are quite talented.

Felix - just awesome! I enjoyed those videos very much.

Wish I knew more Spanish. I know enough to coach a woman in labor delivering a baby. And that is about it. :) My daughter has had 6 years of Spanish in School and will be taking more in college. One of my son's has had 4 years. Another son is soon leaving for Uruguay to serve a mission for our church and he will be immersed in Spanish then too.

Thank you again for the wonderful music.

Farion

Muy buenos vídeos, Félix :)

Por favor, ¿Qué sistema de micrófonos/amplificación usas? Yo había estado pensando usar Microvox, pero creo que va a recoger demasiado el sonido de los botones; así que creo que el sistema 'antenas' que parece usar casi todo el mundo da mejores resultados...

Un saludo desde Madrid,

Fer

Por favor, ¿Qué sistema de micrófonos/amplificación usas? Yo había estado pensando usar Microvox, pero creo que va a recoger demasiado el sonido de los botones; así que creo que el sistema 'antenas' que parece usar casi todo el mundo da mejores resultados...

Un saludo desde Madrid,

Fer

You will of course translate the answer into English when you get it, Fer? ;) I am also wondering about the mics.

S

Un saludo desde Madrid,

Fer

:blink: Wow...

It's your natural language, isn't it?

You talk/write/read in Spanish and also in English.

:unsure: I know a German, but he hasn't helped me out yet. :(

auf Wiedersehen,

Ruchsicht,

Patrick

BTW- Anyone know how to include those apostrophe-like things on top of the letters or even the 2 dots above a letter? Or would I need a German keyboard?

Un saludo desde Madrid,

Fer

You will of course translate the answer into English when you get it, Fer? ;) I am also wondering about the mics.

S

Yeah, Snorre! Sorry, I asked him, more or less - very free translation warning! -:

Very good videos, Felix! :)

Wich amplification / mics system do you use? I was thinking about Microvox, but I think that those mics attached to the instrument are going to get too much of the sound of the fingers hitting the keys, so it seems that the 'antennae / horns' used by most of professional concertinists works better...

Hi from Madrid

If I get an answer, I'll post that in english

Cheers,

Fer

auf Wiedersehen,

Ruchsicht,

Patrick

BTW- Anyone know how to include those apostrophe-like things on top of the letters or even the 2 dots above a letter? Or would I need a German keyboard?

Indeed, Patrick; that's my native languaje. Apart from the fact that I've been playing / fighting :P with irish people for almost 15 years, to have a british wife - and english teacher! - helps a lot to improve my english... we're both pretty bilingual, and I suspect that her spanish is quite better than my english :( :lol:

On the other hand, my irish friends make fun of me saying that I'm getting mancunian accent...ratbags...

About the signs for other languajes, go to 'character map' in Windows tools, then copy & paste the chosen character... don't know how to explain the path; my Windows is, obviously, in spanish.

Cheers,

Fer

Muy Bueno, Felix. Música muy agradable. Gocé de su jugar y de el de su grupo, mucho.

Chris

Very good, Chris! :lol: The only mistake I can find - very usual among english speakers - is the incorrect use of 'jugar'. In spanish means 'play a game', meanwhile the verb 'tocar' is the one used for 'to play an instrument' or 'touch'. I know, nothing is logical about languajes...

Cheers,

Fer

auf Wiedersehen,

Ruchsicht,

Patrick

...About the signs for other languajes, go to 'character map' in Windows tools, then copy & paste the chosen character... don't know how to explain the path; my Windows is, obviously, in spanish.

Cheers,

Fer

Alright, thanks. I'll try and find it. I got to be grateful that my computer is in English, or I would have no hope of finding anything, except my music. ;)

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick King

Muy Bueno, Felix. Música muy agradable. Gocé de su jugar y de el de su grupo, mucho.

Chris

Very good, Chris! :lol: The only mistake I can find - very usual among english speakers - is the incorrect use of 'jugar'. In spanish means 'play a game', meanwhile the verb 'tocar' is the one used for 'to play an instrument' or 'touch'. I know, nothing is logical about languajes...

Cheers,

Fer

Gracias por precisar mi error, Fer. Thank you for pointing out my mistake, Fer. We live and learn! ;)

Chris

Chris

Cheers,

Fer

Gracias por precisar mi error, Fer. Thank you for pointing out my mistake, Fer. We live and learn! ;)

Chris

Too right. ;)

I've always known thank you in Spanish, and now I know some more. :D

Cheers,

Patrick

Thankyou very much for all your kind posts.

The mics that I used for the live recording aren't mine, the studio is the owner. I asked them the type of microphones but I don't remember now, I'll ask them again. The only problem is for doing tremolos with the concertina, taking both sides of the concertina on the air and trembling it, because as the mics are attached to the bellows they made a lot of noise and tended to hit my hands or the sides of the concertina.

I have microvox mics for my concertina but I have thought during a long time about changing them some times (not a lot) I had some troubles with them. Basically it hadn't enough signal power some times and other it hasn't good contact insde the micro capsule, but I have been using them since twelve years ago.

I think that the buttons don't sound too much if the concertinas aren't noisy using microvox, of course with I bee type mics the noise would be lesser (?). I have a lachenal with bone buttons that it is really noisy, but I like it, it is almost a rythm!

I thought also, as the concertinist Niam Ni Charra is playing now usually with Carlos Núñez piper's group, in which plays also Pancho Alvarez (he is one of the basic trio since the beginning of the group, Carlos, his brother Xurxo and Pancho), to ask her what kind of amplification uses. You can see videos in you tube playing Niam Ni Charra, Carlos Núñez and Pancho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV2NUd-Y9qQ

Exactly I and my brother play with Pancho, not they with me. He is a very a long renowned galician folk musician since 1975, he played in Na Lúa, Matto Congrio, and with Carlos Nuñez.

The concertina that I play in the video is a Colin Dipper County Clare model, in C sharp/ G sharp with 32 buttons (one with "birds").

The other concertina that I play now is a 39 buttons Suttner Jeffries copy model, with ebony ends.

A question for Fergus, do you play the anglo concertina?

Spanish is fine, but I speak usually more in galician, a linguage of the galician-portuguese branch (really the portuguese evolved from the medieval galician-portuguese language spoken in the Gallaecia region, the region in the northwest part of iberian peninsule, at the north of the Douro/Duero river), brazilian is closer in pronunciation with galician than with modern portuguese (Carlos Nuñez has just launched his last work dedicated to brazilian music).

Sin querer añadir leña al fuego, I don't want to add wood to the fire about linguages. ;-)

Greetings.

Félix Castro

Chris

Cheers,

Fer

Chris

Too right. ;)

I've always known thank you in Spanish, and now I know some more. :D

Cheers,

Patrick

A question for Fergus, do you play the anglo concertina?

Yes, Felix; I'm trying to :blink: :lol:. I've a Morse Ceili in C/G Jeffries layout, and recently ordered a Suttner A2s - due to my short hands -. My weapon of choice is fiddle, Irish and Scottish tunes with some - very few, I confess - Galician and Asturian tunes here and there. I do play usually at the session in Taberna Elisa, if this rings a bell...

Thanks for the details about mikes. I thing I'll go for the Microvox, for to begin with something... Do you use their PSU's? Maybe the lack of signal you tell is because you don't use one of these. I'm using now a crappy Shadow pickup with my fiddle, but using a Boss Equalizer pedal improves a lot the power of the signal... just an idea! Anyway, I think I'll change the pickup for a good microphone, opposite as with the concertina I like the scratchy sounds from the strings.

Cheers,

Fer

I appear also in another videos in youtube, playing the concertina, but the concertina can't be heared easily.

and the bagpipe

with my brother and other good friends at the concert that we made in 2007 for remembering the late Igor and Carlos, members of the asturian group Felpeyu, that died in 2006 in a car accident when they went to a concert. We founded Felpeyu with Igor and Ruma when we studied in Salamanca town, and later Felpeyu became one of the best asturian folk music bands.

I show you as you can enjoy the tunes, the first ones are galician (in the video in which I play concertina), and the second ones are asturian.

Félix Castro