Dating a Jones 26b Anglo #5269

nkgibbs

Hello,

I am sure that this topic has come up before but I am having trouble finding an answer to my question;

I have a Jones 26b, mahogany-ended, Anglo numbered 5269 labelled G, Jones, 350, Commercial Rd. It has broad steel reeds and fishtail/bell shaped rivetted action posts. There is no Jones trademark stamped on the instrument.

I am guessing that the address and lack of trade mark narrows the date to between 1874 (post Lucas Place) and 1890 (trademark definately in use) but would appreciate anyone who can pinpoint it further?

Frank Butler's very interesting article about his grand-father suggests that the earliest known Jones Anglo is # 4996........is this correct?

Best Wishes,

Neil :unsure:

Edited by nkgibbs

I am guessing that the address and lack of trade mark narrows the date to between 1974 (post Lucas Place) and 1890 (trademark definately in use) but would appreciate anyone who can pinpoint it further?

74?

You're thinking, perhaps, that this particular concertina once belonged to Dr. Who? ;)

I am guessing that the address and lack of trade mark narrows the date to between 1974 (post Lucas Place) and 1890 (trademark definately in use) but would appreciate anyone who can pinpoint it further?

74?

You're thinking, perhaps, that this particular concertina once belonged to Dr. Who? ;)

Thanks Jim........ Neil

Now I'm no prude, but...even though it lets out pleasing sounds when you squeeze and push it's buttons and I'm sure the "broad steel reeds and fishtail/bell shaped rivetted action posts" are quite attractive, shouldn't you at least be dating within your own species and not inanimate objects? :ph34r:

Hello,

I am sure that this topic has come up before but I am having trouble finding an answer to my question;

I have a Jones 26b, mahogany-ended, Anglo numbered 5269 labelled G, Jones, 350, Commercial Rd. It has broad steel reeds and fishtail/bell shaped rivetted action posts. There is no Jones trademark stamped on the instrument.

I am guessing that the address and lack of trade mark narrows the date to between 1874 (post Lucas Place) and 1890 (trademark definately in use) but would appreciate anyone who can pinpoint it further?

Frank Butler's very interesting article about his grand-father suggests that the earliest known Jones Anglo is # 4996........is this correct?

Best Wishes,

Neil :unsure:

You going out to dinner with her? :P :lol: :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

I finally found my photocopies from the Trade Marks Journal tonight - the George Jones "Defiance" one was applied for on 13th March 1888.

Stephen, what dates would you put your #264 and # 5269?

I believe the numbers may well be from two different sequences, before and after the disastrous fire at the former Austin premises in Crombies Row, around 1861.

I've dated #264 to circa 1858, seeing that it was only after the death of his employer Jabez Austin, in July 1857, that he started to manufacture concertinas bearing his own name and that his early production was stopped by the fire. Also an old date 30/12/61 is written inside the Instrument (which cannot, therefore, have been made any later), probably relating to an early repair.

I'm afraid I have no data on which to base a date for #5269. :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers