I have become generic!

I was at a party last weekend and someone asked about my concertina. I said it was a crane duet and he said "I've only met three crane drivers face to face". I explained I was the original Crane Driver, but it seems I've become a generic term for someone who plays the Crane. I'm sort of pleased by that, I'd like to take it as a compliment.

:rolleyes:

Andrew McKay

I was at a party last weekend and someone asked about my concertina. I said it was a crane duet and he said "I've only met three crane drivers face to face". I explained I was the original Crane Driver, but it seems I've become a generic term for someone who plays the Crane. I'm sort of pleased by that, I'd like to take it as a compliment.

Cool!

Well, there are Cranes, and then there are cranes.

I've seen a few of the feathered type in the vicinity of a friend's farm in central Sweden, and one day two landed less than 10 meters from the house. Unfortunately, I only had my English with me on that trip, so I didn't get to see how they might react to the sound of their "cousin". ;)

You certainly are generic. I was talking to one of your lot a couple of months ago & she was very impressed with being called a "Crane driver."

That puts you on a par with the Hoover, Vaseline, Tasers, and Heroin! :rolleyes:

Andrew McKay

Hmm, Aeolist, doesn't have quite that same ring about it, does it. :( "You're a what?", I hear people ask, rather baffled. BTW, are Crane Drivers able to give more lift to their playing? :unsure:

Chris

Hmm, ... are Crane Drivers able to give more lift to their playing? :unsure:

Chris,

Of course, they can reach higher notes...

Those would be the folks more properly referred to as "Crane Operators" than "Crane Drivers."

Maybe not in the UK?

Hmm, ... are Crane Drivers able to give more lift to their playing? :unsure:

Chris,

Of course, they can reach higher notes...

Those would be the folks more properly referred to as "Crane Operators" than "Crane Drivers."

Round here, those'd be pretty much synonymous... :unsure:

Sorry. Round here, one never hears "crane driver."

David,

I'd compare it to the old, seemingly self-contradictory :huh: , occupation of "stationary engine driver" that I found on a 19th century census (whilst researching John Hill Maccann). It signifies the operator of a steam factory engine - which drove the machinery, linked to it by a system of shafts, pulleys and belts.

David,

I'd compare it to the old, seemingly self-contradictory :huh: , occupation of "stationary engine driver" that I found on a 19th century census (whilst researching John Hill Maccann). It signifies the operator of a steam factory engine - which drove the machinery, linked to it by a system of shafts, pulleys and belts.

I think a "driver" in these contexts is someone who directs the "running" (another interesting usage) of a machine. But in the US, that meaning of "driver" seems to be limited to wheeled vehicles used for transport.

Just one of many differences in dialect.

A quick search on "crane driver" seems to give sites mainly in UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, & New Zealand - A.K.A. "The Civilized World" ;) :ph34r: :ph34r:

Civilized? Does this type of activity look "civilized" to you??

boyonbird.jpg

But isn't that a heron?

jdms

A quick search on "crane driver" seems to give sites mainly in UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, & New Zealand - A.K.A. "The Civilized World" ;) :ph34r: :ph34r:

Civilized? Does this type of activity look "civilized" to you??

boyonbird.jpg

Low carbon air transport.

Rumour has it that due to huge losses resulting from fuel prices, British Airways are breeding thousands of these in warehouses near Heathrow. You don't want to know where they put the luggage :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The term "crane driver" is kranig gevonden (I can't translate that into english using the word Crane, it means something like: the term "crane driver" is a very special find of an innovative mind (in a positive way)).

In Dutch we would call a crane driver a "kraanmachinist" or "kraanchauffeur" and crane driver is the literal english translation. Am I going to sleep in a civilized world now? :blink: