Tunes for the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar Square

daveball

I've been lucky enough to have been chosen to take part in 'One & Other' – Antony Gormley's live monument due for the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. ( see http://www.oneandother.co.uk/ for details )

I shall be playing the Concertina up on the plinth between 1 - 2 am on the early morning of July 27th. Any suggestions please for tunes/songs that would be relevant to the surroundings? Nelson's Hornpipe for example.

Dave

I've been lucky enough to have been chosen to take part in 'One & Other' – Antony Gormley's live monument due for the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. ( see http://www.oneandother.co.uk/ for details )

I shall be playing the Concertina up on the plinth between 1 - 2 am on the early morning of July 27th. Any suggestions please for tunes/songs that would be relevant to the surroundings? Nelson's Hornpipe for example.

Dave

Madame Bonaparte (Bonaparte's Advance) and Bonaparte's Retreat.

(You beat Mrs Archer then :-) )

'News of the Victory' of course! As a matter of fact, I started this tune off at the recent ECMW during the final session on sunday afternoon.

Chris

SOME LONDON SONGS/TOONS?

"Wouldnt it be luvverly" for one maybe and luvverly also perhaps if you had a massed C.NETconcertina band at your feet for you to conduct (when u are wont) or for support (harmonic support during playing as well as filling In the silencess during your wrist-rest-finger-breaks) at appropriate moments? Apart from Eliza's luvverly song you could also have some Covent Garden oompah 'getting married in the morning', a Nightingale sang in Berkley Square or if that is too far then Goodbye Piccaddilly farewell...Leicester Square with free travel from the Underground!

London's Burning might be tempting fate

but you could tip your main residence to your plinth home for an hour with "I Live in Trafalgar Square" by C.W. Murphy or "It Could Be You" by Blur ('Will you be there...Trafalgar Square') and if you get overhead bird trouble and Ken is not there to zap them, you could try "King of Birds" by R.E.M. (refers to Trafalgar Square) and to get the crowd singing, "Trafalgar Square" by Charles Deane, an old music hall number, or "I'm One Of The Whitehall Warriors" by Phil Park; and in case there is low cloud "A Foggy Day in London Town" by George and Ira Gershwin, and if you are really heavy handed "The Masher King of Piccadilly" by Richard Corney Grain or on a lighter note "Men About Town" by Noel Coward ('As we stroll down Piccadilly in the bright morning air') and for anticipated dwinkies afterwards "No More" by Noel Coward ('No more binges at the Piccadilly; Cafe Royal and Ritz, goodbye') But above all make sure you went before you go on the plinth - "The Piccadilly Trot" by George Arthurs and Worton Davis

Full list of loads of others some with music at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_London

Sounds (and surely will be) great! congrats!

'News of the Victory' of course! As a matter of fact, I started this tune off at the recent ECMW during the final session on sunday afternoon.

Did I miss out # "Piccadilly Folks" by Lord Kitchener

which I presume would give land suport to Nelson and if military enough with some pop guns might go nicely with "Pigeon Song" by Patrick Wolf

Chris

'News of the Victory'

Thanks for this Chris. Not a tune I'm familiar with, where can find the dots? I've looked in some of the obvious places.

Dave

Chris

'News of the Victory'

Thanks for this Chris. Not a tune I'm familiar with, where can find the dots? I've looked in some of the obvious places.

Dave

I should have perhaps posted the ABC for the tune here, or provided a link to my earlier posting setting out the ABC, but I see that kind Larry S has beaten me to it. Just copy and paste the ABC into the tune-atron to hear what it sounds like in midi playback. Then you can print off the dots. It's a shame that you are playing in the early hours of the morning, Dave, otherwise it would be nice to come and see/hear you and give you some suppport. BTW, this tune is also known as 'The Tars of the Victory'.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

Hi Dave,

All the best with it. How about 3 Coins in a Fountain (or 3,000 New year's Eve Revellers) Or The Lions Sleep Tonight

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, Dave. That was brilliant! I really enjoyed your repertoire from start to finish. I noticed that you opened with a tune I suggested, News of the Victory/Tars of the Victory. Nice. And managed to find a number of other appropriate Nelson/Trafalgar related tunes/hornpipes, etc, to play. And all on the EC, too.

Chris