Suttner A2 31 button C/G with ebony ends for sale

Seán Ó Fearghail

Maybe Fer doesn't "deserve" it in his own eyes in terms of musicianship? I know that ordering an instrument now, gives me a couple of years on my Morse to really get in shape for the transition to a top class concertina. On the other hand, if I got a deal I could afford a year down the road, I probalbly would have jumped it.....

BTW Trolling: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do consider that an involved debate on what folks should spend on concertinas (a very well-worn topic here) deserves its own thread rather than hitching onto someone's for sale post, IMO. Thanks,

Ken, writing as the dishwasher here

We're living in the times of 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now'. I reckon that, even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy it now.

You might not "buy it now" if you're young and there's the mortgage and car-payments and kids to go to college. But if you're on the other side of fifty and the kids are grown, the house is paid for, you've some money saved up and you've got how many good years of playing time left -- then how can you put a value on having a fine instrument for as many playing years as you've left?

I think that I still don't deserve it.

Well, you may not deserve it -- though I don't know what "deserve" has to do with it. But I don't think you should imply that somebody who's willing to spend that money is part of a greedy, consumer-oriented society that drives huge cars and has big credit card debt.

Thanks for the kind comments ( big tongue in cheek emoticon )

David, I'm not talking about the hypotetical person you portrait, nor about a bloody venusian buying a concertina. Just about ME. I'm 39 next October and, even working hard all my life, never had too much money for to spend in expensive instruments. In my not so humble opinion, paying such ammounts of money for any instrument, if you are not a professional musician, is almost obscene; more having into account what the huge work is going to be for me to save that almost 4000 euro.

I'm not questioning here anyone else's behaviour; I said what I WOULD or WOULDN'T do. The 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now' referred to the fact that almost everybody nowadays wants instant things, nobody wants to wait for anything or a good instrument, that from my point of view would make it even more worthy. Not talking about, of course, spend a lifetime learning to play it - I've been teaching fiddle and have a slight idea about pupils' impatient -.

On the other hand, I think that my 'alter-ego' Snorre ;) understood perfectly my point when I said that I don't deserve it: I'm just not good enough concertinist. I've seen people without the less idea of playing uilleann pipes buying expensive full sets from renowned makers. Well, I feel that is frivolous and presumptuous, and is even worse about people who gathers dozens of concertinas & let them gather dust on shelves ' as an investment'. For f**k sake, if you want to make an investment buy gold, instruments were made to be played.

Honestly, I don't know what I said for to upset you in such a way. It's supossed that a forum is for discussion and have different opinions, not for to agree all of us and give each other pats on the back.

End of story.

Fer

PS: Edited by request for languaje.

Edited by Fergus_fiddler

Hmmm....I am about to order my 38 b from Suttner.......tempting though. Good luck.

Hello, Snorre, I have a new Suttner 38 which I received from jurgen in 2005. It has been stored the entire time (unforseen circumstances) here in texas in a humidity controlled environment. I was just getting ready to post it for sale when I saw your comment that you are getting ready to order one. Mine is no. 244 with german silver ends, black bellows. The price is the same as one from Jurgen and you can skip the five yr wait.

If interested email me pjhrn1@gmail.com or call 512 793 6574. I'm in Burnet tx, a little north of Austin.

Pete

Maybe Fer doesn't "deserve" it in his own eyes in terms of musicianship? I know that ordering an instrument now, gives me a couple of years on my Morse to really get in shape for the transition to a top class concertina. On the other hand, if I got a deal I could afford a year down the road, I probalbly would have jumped it.....

BTW Trolling: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Snorre, thanks for the definition site. That was really interesting and I especially liked the "Twats" definition (and not for that reason). I had no idea that there were so many different ways of trolling but I noticed it didn't say anything about trolling for real fish which is what I like to do when floating down a lazy river on a nice warm summer day.

My acupuncturist told me that the energy on and around the Earth just before and after the summer solstice gets all mixed up in the process of switching over from one season to another and that this agitated energy state affects how people react to one another. It causes people to not explain themselves or to understand others as they normally would be able to. My family had problems and it was if we were all trying to speak the same language but were hearing words that meant different things and sometimes sounded like other languages. We managed to wait it out and all is now fine. I hope that a waiting period if this thread will help everyone to get back on the same page of consideration where they normally are.

Steve

The seller is fairly quiet - it'd be interesting to know if Sean O'Fearghail is a dealer in concertinas? His history of comments on this site reads oddly to say the least - I think he has advertised a Jeffries, Wakker and now a Suttner, all high end instruments and all in a short space of time. No problem of course, if he is a dealer, but I think he should make that clear. Anybody who monitors this site for a while gets to know of people who buy & sell fairly regularly and it usually fairly obvious i.e. 'I bought this and did the following xyz to it, it now plays well etc...." but not so, with Sean - his messages read more like an ordinary punter :huh:

Edited by tombilly

We're living in the times of 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now'. I reckon that, even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy it now.

You might not "buy it now" if you're young and there's the mortgage and car-payments and kids to go to college. But if you're on the other side of fifty and the kids are grown, the house is paid for, you've some money saved up and you've got how many good years of playing time left -- then how can you put a value on having a fine instrument for as many playing years as you've left?

I think that I still don't deserve it.

Well, you may not deserve it -- though I don't know what "deserve" has to do with it. But I don't think you should imply that somebody who's willing to spend that money is part of a greedy, consumer-oriented society that drives huge cars and has big credit card debt.

Thanks for the kind comments ( big tongue in cheek emoticon )

David, I'm not talking about the hypotetical person you portrait, nor about a bloody venusian buying a concertina. Just about ME. I'm 39 next October and, even working hard all my life, never had too much money for to spend in expensive instruments. In my not so humble opinion, paying such ammounts of money for any instrument, if you are not a professional musician, is almost obscene; more having into account what the huge work is going to be for me to save that almost 4000 euro.

I'm not questioning here anyone else's behaviour; I said what I WOULD or WOULDN'T do. The 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now' referred to the fact that almost everybody nowadays wants instant things, nobody wants to wait for anything or a good instrument, that from my point of view would make it even more worthy. Not talking about, of course, spend a lifetime learning to play it - I've been teaching fiddle and have a slight idea about pupils' impatient -.

On the other hand, I think that my 'alter-ego' Snorre ;) understood perfectly my point when I said that I don't deserve it: I'm just not good enough concertinist. I've seen people without the less idea of playing uilleann pipes buying expensive full sets from renowned makers. Well, I feel that is frivolous and presumptuous, and is even worse about people who gathers dozens of concertinas & let them gather dust on shelves ' as an investment'. For f**k sake, if you want to make an investment buy gold, instruments were made to be played.

Honestly, I don't know what I said for to upset you in such a way. It's supossed that a forum is for discussion and have different opinions, not for to agree all of us and give each other pats on the back.

End of story.

Fer

PS: Edited by request for languaje.

Here here! With reference to your statement - "about people who gathers dozens of concertinas & let them gather dust on shelves ' as an investment'. For f**k sake, if you want to make an investment buy gold, instruments were made to be played". An excellent point my man ... and while we're on the subject... lets also state that those dealers who buy all the available decent instruments (and we all know who they are) and keep the price artificially inflated by releasing only a few at a time on the market (ebay etc) ... man that sucks.

War

• 2 weeks later...
Now up on ebay...............................................

It is strange how on c.net the seller advertises his product as a 31 button instrument and on e-bay he advertises it as a 32 button instrument. But as of my count, according to the pics posted on the e-bay auction site, it appears to be a very unique and odd 34 button layout. One such as I have never seen before. Not to mention that the pics look like they were captured from from another source.

If I am wrong Sean, I apologize. I am only pointing out what I see to be some major discrepancies in the descriptions of your for sale item.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

Edited by s2maur

Now up on ebay...............................................

It is strange how on c.net the seller advertises his product as a 31 button instrument and on e-bay he advertises it as a 32 button instrument. But as of my count, according to the pics posted on the e-bay auction site, it appears to be a very unique and odd 34 button layout. One such as I have never seen before. Not to mention that the pics look like they were captured from from another source.

If I am wrong Sean, I apologize. I am only pointing out what I see to be some major discrepancies in the descriptions of your for sale item.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're wrong.

If this is the instrument on eBay, I see 32 buttons, though there are some other spots of brightness that I don't understand in between buttons in the middle rows. Reflections from screw heads? I'm not sure. (And they would raise the count to 36, not 34.)

As for 31 vs. 32, it's most common to not count the air button, though some people do include it in the count. What's unusual here, I guess, is that the same person counts it two different ways. Just speculation, but maybe he used the 31 count here because he knows that we know there's also an air button, while he included it in the count on eBay because naive buyers would count 32 actual buttons in the photos... if not confused by those extra bright spots. B)

Looks like the same seller and Suttner instruments do have screws in those positions that look like extra buttons. What I still find curious is the sellers description - sounds like an ordinary punter who sadly has to sell their instrument due to financial circumstances but as far as I can see (and a couple of other members have pm'd me confirming similar), Sean is some kind of dealer and/or teacher who wheels and deals in concertinas. So it rings a bit hollow and as for "Every one who plays irish music has one and highly recommends them" - well, I was at Willie Week recently and saw many kinds of concertinas: Lachenal, Crabb, Jeffries, Rochelle, Morse, Marcus, Boorinwood etc. and a few Suttners....

Ah, Yes, I see now that those are brightly headed screws and not buttons. Thanks for clearing that up for me Jim and Tombilly. And Jim, thank you also for correcting my mathematical error in addition.

Now that I have had help removing my foot from my mouth, I can go back to eating regular food again.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...