What do you call someone who plays a concertina

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case, I am either an Aeolaist or an Edeophonist, depending on which of my two English concertinas I am playing.

Chris

Ooh Chris ... being a purist, eh?? :rolleyes:

Well, Irene, as I understand it, you too, will soon be the lucky possessor of an Edeophone, albeit a rare McCann duet version. I confess to have already seen this gorgeous instrument and am insanely jealous, as is the chap who acquired it on your behalf. I did offer him loadsamoney, or asked him if he would cut it in half - half for me, half for you - but, like the good, honest fellow he is, he refused. Probably see you on saturday at the ECMW when you do your show. :)

Chris

Hi Chris ... I was of course only joking. What do you mean "soon be the possessor" ?? I already am the owner (and have the receipt to prove it) ... LOL! don't let the insanely jealous chap mislead you otherwise! Thinks ... must keep a very close eye on him!!!! :rolleyes: It was bought with the help of his aiding and abetting , acting as my agent and advisor (and henceforth spirtual parent of the beast ... or maybe that should be beauty? )... for which I am exceedingly grateful! (I probably wouldn't have bought it if he hadn't pushed me)

However, despite Stephen's evidence (and a lovely picture that is) that an Aeola player is an Aeolist (which sounds quite graceful and tasteful) ... I'm not sure that the word "Edeophonist" quite grabs me [grin] ... you have to admit that it is a bit of a mouthful not to mention the difficulty of pronunciation (too close to Idiot for my liking) !

I'll look forward to seeing you on Saturday when we can discuss that devious person and my rights to ownership further !!!

Edited by Irene S

Some better words for Duet players may be:

MacCannibals, MacCanonists,

Hi Marien

I have to admit a failing for the word which Dirge has coined ..... Maccannic ......

However, despite Stephen's evidence (and a lovely picture that is) that an Aeola player is an Aeolist (which sounds quite graceful and tasteful) ... I'm not sure that the word "Edeophonist" quite grabs me [grin] ... you have to admit that it is a bit of a mouthful not to mention the difficulty of pronunciation (too close to Idiot for my liking) !

Well, as long as you're not an Edeophony...

;)

jdms

Hi Marien

I have to admit a failing for the word which Dirge has coined ..... Maccannic ......

Hello Irene, That's a better name for it, Macannic sounds a lot more maccannorous. Do you play a lot of Maccanzonettas?

Bibuttoners, Knobblers,

Duplicators, Duettists, Dualists, Doublings,

Triumphants, Triumphators,

Haydonists, Haydens, Hayders.

Crane drivers.

Or what about Maccannoneers? Maccannics? Craniologists?

(I don't read the dots very well, so the music that emerges from my Crane originates in my cranium ...)

In musical correspondence, I usually abbreviate my instrument as "conc." So what about "Conker"? (Especially when one is playing those old, familiar tunes sometimes referred to as "chestnuts" :ph34r: )

And when you win a conc. contest, you become a "Conqueror". Or you get an ex-S.A. duet, and you're already a Triumphator, as Marien suggested, which is much the same thing.

Cheers,

John

oooh...I like the dress....I'll have to find one like that now....recreate the picture for my avatar ;)

I dread to think what Greenpeace would have to say about the baleen (whalebone) in the matching undies ... ;)

Speaking of which: concertinas don't have any parts made of bits of endangered species of plant or animal, do they?

Are the "bone" buttons on older concertinas really bone, or is that a politically correct euphemism for ivory?

Cheers,

John

Speaking of which: concertinas don't have any parts made of bits of endangered species of plant or animal, do they?

Yes, tortoiseshell ends on some later Wheatstone Englishes.

Are the "bone" buttons on older concertinas really bone, or is that a politically correct euphemism for ivory?

Yes, they are really bone, but not made from ivory.

Chris

John,

That depends on the quality and the date of the concertina, in that some (better quality ones) are ivory, but many are bone.

oooh...I like the dress....I'll have to find one like that now....recreate the picture for my avatar ;)

I dread to think what Greenpeace would have to say about the baleen (whalebone) in the matching undies ... ;)

mine have plastic or metal 'bones' actually

What about that for the dress?

all I need is a sash and ta-da!