What do you call someone who plays a concertina

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say "concertinist" but it always sounds slightly tongue in cheek when I say it.

I like "buttoneer" although that could equally apply to melodians and the like, and we couldn't have that, could we.

Flute/flautist, violin/violinist, piano/pianist, trombone/trombonist etc. suggests concertinist is likely to be the "correct" word. How many instruments end in "a" though? What is the proper term for a viola player? A violist? A violator?

My neighbours have another word which I will not repeat in company.

In my case, I am either an Aeolaist or an Edeophonist, depending on which of my two English concertinas I am playing.

Chris

Ooh Chris ... being a purist, eh?? :rolleyes:

Well, Irene, as I understand it, you too, will soon be the lucky possessor of an Edeophone, albeit a rare McCann duet version. I confess to have already seen this gorgeous instrument and am insanely jealous, as is the chap who acquired it on your behalf. I did offer him loadsamoney, or asked him if he would cut it in half - half for me, half for you - but, like the good, honest fellow he is, he refused. Probably see you on saturday at the ECMW when you do your show. :)

Chris

In my case ... Aeolaist

Miss Eva Taylor - ÆOLIST:

EvaTaylor.jpg

Well, Stephen, Miss Taylor certainly looks stunning, posing beside her tenor-treble or extended-treble Aeola (would we say that about a man, I wonder?). Do you know anything about her?

Chris

oooh...I like the dress....I'll have to find one like that now....recreate the picture for my avatar ;)

Well, Stephen, Miss Taylor certainly looks stunning, posing beside her tenor-treble or extended-treble Aeola (would we say that about a man, I wonder?). Do you know anything about her?

Chris

Hm! Very nice indeed! That youthfully enthusiastic pose and that whimsical smile - I could imagine that this is a photo of our very own LDT, taken on one of her Tardis excursions to the beginning of the last century ...

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

Hm! Very nice indeed! That youthfully enthusiastic pose and that whimsical smile - I could imagine that this is a photo of our very own LDT, taken on one of her Tardis excursions to the beginning of the last century ...

:rolleyes:

Oh no! My cover has been blown. :unsure:

A concertina player? Somebody in my house would like to call me a knobbleshrieker or an ear-jerker but - luckely for me - rabbits do not speak that much.

Some better words for Duet players may be:

Bibuttoners, Knobblers,

Duplicators, Duettists, Dualists, Doublings,

Triumphants, Triumphators,

MacCannibals, MacCanonists,

Haydonists, Haydens, Hayders.

Crane drivers.

I'll try to convince the rabbit that I am a Crane flyer.