Insuring a concertina for shipping oversea

I am trying to finalize how I'm going to ship my Edgley concertina to the UK, where the buyer is. I went at UPS, Canada Post, Fedex and Purolator.

- Canada Post won't insure anything for more than 1000$, period.

- Purolator won't insure any used instrument, even for 1$.

- Fedex won't insure an instrument for more than 1000$.

With the three last companies, it seems you need to get a private broker/insurer.

At UPS, they say they can do it, but they need to pack the instrument themselves, and the total cost is very high.

Also, someone at Fedex told me that the shipping companies who insure for more than 1000$... if you lose the item or the item breaks, and want your money, they won't give you more than 1000$ even if you thougt (and paid) for more.

So this leaves me puzzled. I received insured instruments before, or anyway, they appeared to be insured. I know lot of people who send instruments and insure them. What's the deal when what I've been told? I mean, I can't believe all the shipping companies I visited gave me wrong information?

I've only shipped within the US, but the US Postal Service will insure just about anything. You pay less if you send it registered mail. What surprises me is that FedEx and UPS won't take it insured, though...that's really weird.

This seems to be a relatively recent development - that started happening at the beginning of March 2008 here in Ireland. I haven't sent anything myself in the meantime (though I've personally delivered to/collected from London/Denmark/Louisiana - much more fun!), but at that time a friend found that the only firm who would insure the guitar he had to send to France was UPS, and then their rules were that they were supposed to examine the item before it was parcelled up. :o

I'm not sure what I'll have to do, next time I need to send something of value. :(

Thanks! It confirms what the UPS guy told me. That yes, they could insure it, but they had to actually pack the item themselves! It adds CAN$50 to the total price, which is high already, it's like a total of US$230. But I might end up using UPS, as it seems there's no other choice.

I have suggested this before. Since we are such a lovely bunch of like-minded, honest, warm-hearted individuals, one would think that we could help each other out by carrying instruments back and forth across the ocean. It would be cheaper and safer, if not always faster. The carrier could charge something like $50 for the service, thus defraying the cost of his own journey and saving the shipper some money as well. If the carrier were bothered by legal issues he could declare the instrument on arrival and pay the import duty. This would still be cheaper than inter-continental rates for shipping and insurance.

It was suggested by my insurance company to not insure for shipping. They cover my instruments for replacement value, and said if ever lost or damaged while being transported for repair they would cover the loss. I have never asked a bout if "sold" but if possession is still by the seller, and the seller has an instrument policy it may still be considered their belonging until "transfer' is complete. The rate for an annual premium on several handmade instruments is on 285 dollars annually.

i suggest asking frank directly--he ships overseas all the time from canada.

It was suggested by my insurance company to not insure for shipping. They cover my instruments for replacement value, and said if ever lost or damaged while being transported for repair they would cover the loss. I have never asked a bout if "sold" but if possession is still by the seller, and the seller has an instrument policy it may still be considered their belonging until "transfer' is complete. The rate for an annual premium on several handmade instruments is on 285 dollars annually.

i think that's a little dicey, though it would not hurt to have both parties contact their insurance companies if they have them.

who does your coverage? i am in the states and i have clarion. i got $14k worth of instruments for $160/year premium.

Ah!, another blow struck against the scourge of globalisation and the global market. Think global and shop local etc.!! Who would have thought UPS & Fedex would lead the charge!! Seriously though, this doesn't really add up - there are all sorts of companies shipping and moving goods around, worth well in excess of these figures. Or do these limits just apply to the ordinary public sending items that are easily damaged like musical instruments?

Ah!, another blow struck against the scourge of globalisation and the global market. Think global and shop local etc.!! Who would have thought UPS & Fedex would lead the charge!! Seriously though, this doesn't really add up - there are all sorts of companies shipping and moving goods around, worth well in excess of these figures. Or do these limits just apply to the ordinary public sending items that are easily damaged like musical instruments?

It seems shipping companies are specifically afraid of musical instruments. I guess they had a bunch of problems with them before, and see them as very fragile and darn expensive. When the lady at Purolator told me that it had to be a new instrument in it's original case, I told her "What if I wanted to send a Stradivarius?". Her eyes opened wide with terror and she said "Oh!!! You'd have to get your own private insurance for that!".

I think that insurance for individuals is more difficult than for companies. I can insure my instruments through UPS because I am a commercial maker sending to a customer. I was once told by UPS that private individuals were limited in what they could get for insurance. $50 is a bit of money for UPS to pack but then if you can get insurance, it may be worth it. Safer than have someone carry it over for you. What if that person accidently left it in the airport etc.? You couldn't expect that they would compensate you for the loss. Perhaps the buyer would help you out with the cost?

I think that insurance for individuals is more difficult than for companies. I can insure my instruments through UPS because I am a commercial maker sending to a customer. I was once told by UPS that private individuals were limited in what they could get for insurance. $50 is a bit of money for UPS to pack but then if you can get insurance, it may be worth it. Safer than have someone carry it over for you. What if that person accidently left it in the airport etc.? You couldn't expect that they would compensate you for the loss. Perhaps the buyer would help you out with the cost?

Thanks Frank. I think you got a phone call from the buyer, didn't you? Now now, you didn't have to lie and say I was a reliable person! :P

The buyer is paying for all shipping expenses, so there's no problem for me there... and he prefers to pay the full thing than take any risk. Also, I think I gave him a very good price on your instrument so he's still coming out with a good deal. I'm a bit sad to let your wonderful instrument go... but I'm been carrying a credit line forever it seems now, and I got to do all I can to get rid of it...

I dealt with this about a year ago. Since I was shipping to Germany and the German post won't accept USPS packages insured for more than US $500, I had no choice but to use UPS and it ended up costing over US $600 in shipping and insurance.

It seems shipping companies are specifically afraid of musical instruments. I guess they had a bunch of problems with them before, and see them as very fragile and darn expensive. When the lady at Purolator told me that it had to be a new instrument in it's original case, I told her "What if I wanted to send a Stradivarius?". Her eyes opened wide with terror and she said "Oh!!! You'd have to get your own private insurance for that!".

yeah, when i shipped a concertina once they had rules about not shipping guns, animals, and "custom-made instruments." i said the concertina was not custom made, :P.

i think if you were shipping a stradivarius you'd make your butler take it on the plane.

The guy at UPS told me they had a special deal with a private insurer, that's why they could ship and insure musical instruments. But shipping my Edgley ended up being quite expensive, because they wanted to put the box which cointained the concertina (in its soft case) in another bigger box, both boxes being filled with bubble wrap and stuff. They did charge extra because the total size was much bigger, they used more filling material etc.

The guy at UPS told me they had a special deal with a private insurer, that's why they could ship and insure musical instruments. But shipping my Edgley ended up being quite expensive, because they wanted to put the box which cointained the concertina (in its soft case) in another bigger box, both boxes being filled with bubble wrap and stuff. They did charge extra because the total size was much bigger, they used more filling material etc.

I've gotten concertinas packaged that way from both Button Box and Wim Wakker. It looked a bit like overkill, but the instruments were well protected. In both cases the cost for shipping was not exorbitant.