Low-end Recording Devices

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a relatively inexpensive (under $200) digital recording device to use for sessions/lessons/classes etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-David

I have an Olympus VN3500PC, cost under 50 GBP. There are several models available in this price range. You pay a bit more for stereo, but if you just want to record ambient sound to help with learning the tunes later, it's fine. Also helps with practice at home.

I have also tried a few like this, and overall I think very good for the price. I would prefer an Edirol R09, or the Zoom H2 for the sound quality, and better internal microphones. On the lowest priced items I have also used a Belkin tune talk with my ipod classic. It is pretty good for point and shoot recordings. You can choose the resolution, and therefor the hard drive space required. Can delete in the ipod, and then once uploaded can be titled in itunes for playlist, or burn to cd. I paid around 35 for the Belkin piece off of ebay two plus years ago. iphones also have an app for recording "memos", and sound is ok.

My theory has often been, although something may do an amazing job of recording it is just more stuff to carry around. I look at most of these point and shoot type of recorders like a point and shoot digital camera. Not the absolute best, but suits my needs well.

I use a multifunction camcorder. The one I got of eBay for $35 AU records sound and videos and doubles as a camera. I like the fact that I just eject the SD card and can play the tune or clip on my puter.

The quality if the video and sound probably leaves a bit to be desired but I get the essence of the tune. I have learnt not to have the camcorder too near the music source and that if I want to get picture to be in a well lit source.

here is an example

This comparison page might be interesting. Bear in mind that if you're recording a session you'll likely not bother with an external microphone, and the builting mic quality probably doesn't matter. If you're recording a practice or concert, or basically when you can, using an external mic (e.g. sony ecm-ms907) will give you better quality anyway (normally).

here is an example

I was quite surprised by the title of the video, I'm more familiar with a rather vulgar verse to the tune of The Rare Old Mountain Dew/The Girl I Left Behind Me

Oh, the black cat p*ssed in the white cats' eye

And the white cat said "Cor, blimey!"

And the black cat said "It's your own bloody fault,

You shouldn't have stood behind me".

That was a long time ago in my misspent youth. Odd how the utterly irrelevant rubbish is burned into your memory for life ready for instant recollection thirty years later, while really useful stuff like your own mobile telephone number remains, well, erm ... :ph34r:

*Back on topic*

I have a Zoom H4 bought a few years ago before the more straight forward H2 appeared (every bit as good from a recording point of view and without the added confusion of an array of unused features!). I've always been happy with it and particularly like the x-y stereo microphone configuration which helps to produce a balanced recording in most conditions. I've not tried any external mics, this is after all a scratch recording device that still produces excellent results with the minimum of fuss.

*Back on topic*

I have a Zoom H4 bought a few years ago before the more straight forward H2 appeared (every bit as good from a recording point of view and without the added confusion of an array of unused features!). I've always been happy with it and particularly like the x-y stereo microphone configuration which helps to produce a balanced recording in most conditions. I've not tried any external mics, this is after all a scratch recording device that still produces excellent results with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks everybody for all of your suggestions! I've put in an Amazon order for an H2, and hopefully it will serve me well at Noel Hill class this summer as well as at various sessions and impromptu jams. And maybe more!