Wheatstone on ebay

Paul Read

I did notice that now they will only let you take payment by Paypal, Credit card (yea right!) and some other thing that they probably own. I suspect I may have to stop dealing with them. Anybody seriously interested off ebay give me a PM.

Personally, I have come to loath Ebay and it's evil half brother, Paypal. Yet where else do you go if you have something of very speciallist interest to cash in? There is a spectacularly friendly/sensible Kiwi site, Trade Me, but you have to live in NZ to take part (or Australia now, I think, poor underdeveloped folk that they are...) and access to only the internet savvy proportion of the 4m Kiwis means that you may not get anyone interested in that excitingly odd item at all, or it goes at reserve to the one enthusiast who noticed it.

(It works the other way too; I've just bought a Morgan chassis for chicken feed via Trade Me; very excited about that!)

But I used Ebay for the first time for a while and it was SUCH hard work, even worse than I remembered, that I too wondered whether I would ever be bothered to have another go.

I've just bought a Morgan chassis for chicken feed via Trade Me; very excited.

Bet your chickens aren't excited, though, Dirge. Surely they deserve some 'proper' food. BTW, what kind of chassis is it - twin? And for what model?

Chris

Well according to the receipt I've had for some years now it's about 1935, no, not new at all..... It's a 3 speeder twin, going to be a '33 sports and I'm going to use the dreaded PanJAP on it. Should go like a scalded cat.

If you're going to the big MTWC do and had an appropriate tune you fancied performing (Genevieve?) I could be the acccompanist on my duet if I had the music fairly quickly. I'd be game for that.

Sold for $2025 US. I'd say that someone got a good deal on this one...

Hi there,

I've just put a 30-button 50s Wheatsone on ebay. Not a top end model but it plays extremely well. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180368609212

I'd say it's about what I expected. Second bidder was someone who would know. Not a top model but a very nice player.

Interesting. I've never had my hands on (or even seen, other than photos) one of these plastic-button c. 1950 Wheatstones. They don't seem to appear often, but they sound like good bets from the descriptions I've seen from reliable sellers like you and Chris Algar. The prices seem to run in the same range as a hybrid, and lower than current prices for a restored better-than-basic Lachenal. Is there a downside that I'm not aware of? I would imagine that they have "crimped" non-riveted aluminum-frame reeds, but I don't know if there's anything seriously wrong with that.

Hi there, I've just put a 30-button 50s Wheatsone on ebay. Not a top end model but it plays extremely well. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180368609212

I'd say it's about what I expected. Second bidder was someone who would know. Not a top model but a very nice player.

Interesting. I've never had my hands on (or even seen, other than photos) one of these plastic-button c. 1950 Wheatstones. They don't seem to appear often, but they sound like good bets from the descriptions I've seen from reliable sellers like you and Chris Algar. The prices seem to run in the same range as a hybrid, and lower than current prices for a restored better-than-basic Lachenal. Is there a downside that I'm not aware of? I would imagine that they have "crimped" non-riveted aluminum-frame reeds, but I don't know if there's anything seriously wrong with that.

Hi there, I've just put a 30-button 50s Wheatsone on ebay. Not a top end model but it plays extremely well. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180368609212

That's a good question. I've had a few pass through my hands and the crimped reeds seem to play fine. I think it was just a faster, cheaper way of making the reeds that Wheatstone developed. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has information on the quality of the 50s crimped reeds.