ITM in Manchester

Hi, everybody.

Now after a month from my wedding in Sale, Trafford, I do realize that I never went to a traditional irish session in Manchester!

Should any kind mancunian tell me about the ITM scene & sessions in Greater Manchester, please? I guess I would be there next August a couple of weeks. I'm looking for any foreigns-friendly session. Will not play the 'tina, tough - I'm not already good enough - but I'm a quite acceptable fiddler.

Ta' very much in advance! ;)

Cheers,

Fer

Hi, everybody.

Now after a month from my wedding in Sale, Trafford, I do realize that I never went to a traditional irish session in Manchester!

Should any kind mancunian tell me about the ITM scene & sessions in Greater Manchester, please? I guess I would be there next August a couple of weeks. I'm looking for any foreigns-friendly session. Will not play the 'tina, tough - I'm not already good enough - but I'm a quite acceptable fiddler.

Ta' very much in advance! ;)

Cheers,

Fer

Hi Fer.... manchester sessions can be here and gone.... they move around!

The session website at http://www.thesession.org/sessions lists some (check each one in the commenst to see if they're still going)

There are quite a lot listed.

Ones I've been to or heard first hand about are....

Lloyds Hotel - Chorlton - as it says in the comments - this can be big - when I went along it must've had 20 or 30 players and they did hours of reels!

Jolly Angler near Piccadilly - friend goes to this one when she's feeling brave - some top class musicians -but apparently friendly.

Peveril of the Peak - I know a couple of people go to this one, but it can be a bit hit or miss whether it goes or not.

I also tried one at the Magnet Inn in stockport but this appears to have moved now.

If you can get a bit further out there's a good thursday session in Billinge, and some sessions that I go to in Cheshire (all these are mixed English/Irish/all sorts - not for the ITM purists)

Email for more details of these if interested.

Chris

Thanks for the answer and apologies for the delay.

I'll have a look at the links you posted - although I like english music, I think I'm not prepared for the chordal style of concertina, but, you know; jack of all trades... ;) -.

Cheers,

Fer