Thanks for the suggestion

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not care for the Lilliput..

Jeff,

Have you tried the Preciosa then?

They're even smaller than the Lilliput, but better quality (real mop buttons & internal bellows lock) with all the treble reeds laid flat - only double-decked!

I am referring to Bob Wills, Milton Brown, Doughboys , Ranger Doug and the Riders in the Sky, Asleep at the Wheel etc... fiddle based tunes with jazz lines

Don't forget Spade Cooley! (Or maybe you'd rather?) :unsure:

BTW The Riders in the Sky favor Bb and Eb for many of their tunes....

OK, so either a Morse Ceili in Ab/Eb then (giving you Bb "across the rows" with D fingering), or a club model in Bb/Eb?

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Hi Stephen

A Preciosa perhaps..... finding one is difficult and finding one in a condition that meets my standards may be tough.

Spade Cooley !!! ??? I am not sure why you mentioned good old Spade, but I don't think I'll use him as my role model.

I recently bought and returned a Bb/Eb Club to Elderly instruments. Not as described, and needing a lot of work Also a bit large and heavy owing to individual zinc reed plates. Nice sound though

Not sure Morse offers an Ab/Eb I'll contact the Button Box and see what they say.and

Makes me wish I had kept and restored my Jeffries Ab/Eb 38 button unit.

Meantime I have broken out the "bones" and Jaw Harp, though simultaneous play is difficult.

Edited by Jeff H

Meanwhile, you could keep an eye open for another Club to turn up--they seem abundant and inexpensive. I lucked into a virtually mint vintage Club last year for a ridiculously low price.

BTW, if it's Bob Wills you want, why not a PA ?

I recently bought and return a Bb/Eb Club to Elderly instruments. Not as described and needing a lot of work Also a bit large and heavy owing to individual zinc reed plates. Nice sound though

Just out of interest I looked up the Elderly Instruments website and found this hilarious description of the Bb/Eb Club

VGC except needs some work (bellows leak, all notes are kind of wheezy and some are weak, plus needs cleanup, etc. - sold AS-IS)

That description is what I expect to see from an ebay seller who know nothing about free reed instruments. To be fair to Elderly it is priced almost as a restoration project, but VGC? Unless of course VGC means something different from Very Good Condition.

I haven't read Elderly's list of condition criteria, but I do know that it fluctuates considerably. I think they must be thinking about the cosmetic condition most of the time. I often see such descriptions as: "EC, but needs work..." and then it goes on to describe an unplayable instrument.

A Preciosa perhaps..... finding one is difficult and finding one in a condition that meets my standards may be tough.

Jeff,

Have a word with Theo, I believe he sometimes has restored ones for sale, and you'd find them in Bb/Eb too. As for smallness & portability - the case of mine measures only 9" x 9.75" x 5.25".

Spade Cooley !!! ??? I am not sure why you mentioned good old Spade, but I don't think I'll use him as my role model.

I wondered if you'd deliberately left out poor old Spade - well some people think he was a leading Western Swing fiddler and band leader at one time, and I'd like his earlier stuff, though he did kinda' lose direction long before he ever killed his wife. In fact I bought a copy of his last LP, when I was in Austin, but I was very disappointed by it. :(

The Bb/Eb club at Elderly is an interesting instrument, and the one I returned

Knock out reeds , they are great and not too bad.. a few missing and curled leathers

But the switches are odd combinations... It is a Club F but when you switch them it goes to a weird high reed thing

I have ragged on Elderly for years and I have offered and Paul Groff has offered to write their descriptions for them

I also called to offer how to show them how to photograph the accordions and concertinas.. The departmant manager for internet sales of used instruments flat blew me off and said there wasn't enough accordion business to bother

He is the only outright rude employee I have ever spoken to at Elderly.

I suggested that if they photographed them correctly, described them correctly, they could sell more instruments for more money, he ddn't get it. I gave up

Good Ol Spade .. didn't he accuse his wife of messing around with Roy Rogers ,and then blew her away... that accusation was never confirmed.. why would Roy mess around when he had Trigger at home

Spade died in prison as I recall or shortly after release..

When he was good he was great and when he was bad he sucked....

PA... well now.. I don't care for Buicks so PA's are out ; Heavy and bloated but in the 50's they looked fantastic...

I admire the good players such as "Joey" with Riders in the Sky... a great player in fact, and their arranger and composer

I want to do all that on a Diatonic....

B/C/C# perhaps but not for a light box...

What was the diatonic button accordion set up on a concertina chassis called ? And didn't Dipper make one for a French player ?????

Edited by Jeff H

I have ragged on Elderly for years and I have offered and Paul Groff has offered to write their descriptions for them

I also called to offer how to show them how to photograph the accordions and concertinas.. The departmant manager for internet sales of used instruments flat blew me off and said there wasn't enough accordion business to bother

He is the only outright rude employee I have ever spoken to at Elderly.

I suggested that if they photographed them correctly, described them correctly, they could sell more instruments for more money, he ddn't get it. I gave up

Squeezeboxes are obviously not a priority for Elderly and they have virtually no interest in them. They are, however interested in one-row DBAs and concertinas, re-selling them at book value at least -- even instruments that need work. I doubt they feel compelled to alter their practices, despite your generous offer.

Edited by catty

Hi Jeff................
What was the diatonic button accordion set up on a concertina chassis called ? And didn't Dipper make one for a French player ?????

The " Franglo "............makes a lot of sense. Robin

Made for

here playing a 2 and a half row (Saltarelle?), but his Franglo is in view a few seconds into the clip.

The story he tells about the genesis of the Franglo concept is that he found an old concertina with buttons on the right hand only, probably a special made for a player who did not have the use of fingers on his left hand. Then it was a small step to the idea of a concertina with melody on the right and chord buttons on the left. He and Colin Dipper are long time friends so I'm not clear which one of them came up with the idea, but Colin certainly built the instruments.

Edited by Theo

I do not care for the Lilliput..

Jeff,

Have you tried the Preciosa then?

OK, I'm not afraid to look ignorant. (Actually you get used to it after a while) :unsure: Maybe everybody else knows what a Lilliput and a Preciosa are, but I don't. I Googled them and came up with the town where the wee people lived in Gulliver's Travels and a sea slug. :huh:

Are they proper names of the manufacturer of an instrument?

Come on, throw me a bone here.

The story he tells about the genesis of the Franglo concept is that he found an old concertina with buttons on the right hand only, probably a special made for a player who did not have the use of fingers on his left hand. Then it was a small step to the idea of a concertina with melody on the right and chord buttons on the left. He and Colin Dipper are long time friends so I'm not clear which one of them came up with the idea, but Colin certainly built the instruments.

Only the Germans came up with the concept long before they did, and called it a Bandonika - I wonder if it was one of those that inspired Emmanuel to get Colin to make him one with English construction? :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Maybe everybody else knows what a Lilliput and a Preciosa are, but I don't.

They're the model names of the two styles of semi-miniature 2.5 row "club model" button accordion that Hohner built in the 1930s. Club models were very popular at that time and usually came in C/F tuning, though they were also made in Bb/Eb.

. I Googled them and came up with the town where the wee people lived in Gulliver's Travels and a sea slug. :huh:

Are they proper names of the manufacturer of an instrument?

Come on, throw me a bone here.

My wife says "no sea slugs: We live in the midwest." :P

She also says no to 1930's era club accordions, not that I was tempted to try to find one.

Very nice !!

I was wrong, considerably smaller than the 30 button

However I find 30 button spacing and the distance from handgrip to buttons on a standard concertina to be tight

this one looks even tighter.

Playability would be a problem

As to the Franglo...

not sure I have enough years left to wait for a Dipper...... : )

Thanks

Edited by Jeff H