Waffling

I am currently considering adding to my free reed collection. Very spefically something small and portable to be toted around on a bike or hike.

I have limited concertina experience but have owned a few including a Wheatstone English

A 38 button Jeffires and a modest C/G Lachenal

I have owned over 50 button accordions , 1 row, 2 row, 2 1/2 row and 3 row. Among those are many Hohners, 6 Castagnaris, 2 Serenellinis, etc I am currently playing 1 rows and an archaic but very cool 2 1/2 row D/G vintage 1880 brought to the US by my Great Grandfather.... I have limited C#/D and B/C experience all the rest were true diatonics...in the 4th (5th) apart sense... I want something different.

I have reduced the options to :

Morse Ceili in G/D.. I really like the accordion reeds and the playability...and they are USA made.. and I consder C/G to be a tad high pitched...

or Another Castagnari Lilly, likely in C#/D but other keys could be considered.

both of which would create an interesting new learning experience.

I favor American fiddle tunes and.. Western Swing ! a little Quebec and a smattering of Irish Trad

So ,

based on that limited information... any suggestions or remarks

I am truly open to options.

Thanks

Jeff

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am truly open to options.

Well, if you truly open, how about nice Weltmeister with durall comb? Or cylindric Suzuki?

Or double reeded Hohner, you can have them in any tuning, including some very cool semi-chromatic.

Valveless Weltmeister Chromatic 10 hole is stupendous, you can bend on it and it's chromatic.

Choices are endless and the cost is minimal. You can have all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHzC8YAuN2I...feature=related

The harmonicas, not the girls.

Took the words right out of my mouth Misha, but I was going to link to

. Listening to that clip it's hard to believe that all that sound comes just from harmonicas.

Jeff, I'm sure you have considered harmonicas, but how about a

I own 27 harmonicas within that bunch are Lee Oskars, Special 20's Gloden Melodies, Delta Frost and a Chromeeta 10 and a 280 retuned and upgraded by none other than Dick Gardner ( the last Harmonicat) 2 Hohner Tremolo one in C and 1 in D

I prefer to push and pull than suck and blow

I do not care for the Lilliput..

Giordy is too small

I have about 6 small "toy" chinese accordions which I have modded. I would like tio make music not relieve broedom at the expense of my sensibilities.

I'll figure it out, I have time.

Thanks

Jeff

Seems like after some 77 assorted boxes and harps you're hard pressed to find something new and satisfying. I don't think I saw a duet on your list of "been there/done that" instruments...perhaps a duet then? Personally, I find the fiddle and EC satisfying.

Jeff, I'm sure you have considered harmonicas, but how about a

Jeff,

I'd second that. The portable free-reed instrument for the free-reeder who's tried everything. :huh:

OTOH if you've already got some harmonicas, you're not going to find anything more portable, either with or without free reeds <_<

Cheers,

John

I own 27 harmonicas within that bunch are Lee Oskars, Special 20's Gloden Melodies, Delta Frost and a Chromeeta 10 and a 280 retuned and upgraded by none other than Dick Gardner ( the last Harmonicat) 2 Hohner Tremolo one in C and 1 in D

I prefer to push and pull than suck and blow

I do not care for the Lilliput..

Giordy is too small

I have about 6 small "toy" chinese accordions which I have modded. I would like tio make music not relieve broedom at the expense of my sensibilities.

I'll figure it out, I have time.

Thanks

Jeff

Well then,given the above, and your initial thought; " Morse Ceili in G/D.. I really like the accordion reeds and the playability...and they are USA made.. " I would encorage you to go in that direction. I have one, it's very light, and I find it as easy to play as some vintage and more expensive modern boxes that I've tried. And having seen and heard Jody Kruskal play his, I know what it's capable of in more skilled hands. And mine has been travelling on the back of my bike since October (through a Canadian winter!) with no ill effects.

77 assorted boxes and harps, perhaps;

But I think the accordions come to about 53, concertinas, 3 and though I currently own 27 harmonicas I have also owned about another dozen Chromatics including Hohner 280.s 270s, CX-12's, Huangs, amnd 2 Hering Opus....plus another 20-30 diatonics... they come and go.

As to the HARMONETTA. no on a few fronts

A. Appears to be a mouthful ; bulbous looking contraption awkward at minimum ...

B. Requires suck and blow

C. Am not wanting to creat a "novellty act" for a travelling carnival

BillN,

Thanks for relating hands on experience. Appreciate it very much.

Edited by Jeff H

OK, small and portable. The Lilly is about 4lb, the concertina about 3lb ? Lilly is bigger, (in one dimension for sure!)

Discussions elsewhere here on small concertinas and concertina weights.

Marcus Traveller only 5" ATF C/G plus C#

http://www.marcusmusic.co.uk/concertinas.html#newmodels

not sure how that would come out price-wise at current exchange rates.

Hi Jeff

Castagnari Giordy?

or a Schylling toy?

They're small.

Thanks

Leo

A pox on your house Leo, for showing me a Castagnari Giordy, I now have to start saving money.

BTW anyone can tell me the story behind the GbH series of videos with a costumed player of the Giody?

NNY

Thanks but no thanks on the Marcus , not that much smaller than the 30 button and I much prefer Morse design and workmanship.

Western Swing is a far cry from the "behind the chicken wire", yeehah, Nashville sound

I am referring to Bob Wills, Milton Brown, Doughboys , Ranger Doug and the Riders in the Sky, Asleep at the Wheel etc... fiddle based tunes with jazz lines

No Twang Bang

Edited by Jeff H

Thanks but no thanks on the Marcus , not that much smaller than the 30 button and I much prefer Morse design and workmanship.

Western Swing is a far cry from the "behind the chicken wire", yeehah, Nashville sound

I am referring to Bob Wills, Milton Brown, Doughboys , Ranger Doug and the Riders in the Sky, Asleep at the Wheel etc... fiddle based tunes with jazz lines

No Twang Bang

I play along to about 1/2 a dozen tunes on "Brownie Special" on the Morse GD. The Daddy of Western Swing! Westphalia Waltz sounds great too!

Cool on the "Brownie Special"......

and Westphalia Waltz is one of my all time favorite tunes.. matter of fact I have a copy of the sheet music right here. It also sounds great on chromatic harmonica paired with guitar as a duo.

Thanks Bill.

BTW The Riders in the Sky favor Bb and Eb for many of their tunes....

77 assorted boxes and harps, perhaps;

But I think the accordions come to about 53, concertinas, 3 and though I currently own 27 harmonicas I have also owned about another dozen Chromatics including Hohner 280.s 270s, CX-12's, Huangs, amnd 2 Hering Opus....plus another 20-30 diatonics... they come and go.

As to the HARMONETTA. no on a few fronts

A. Appears to be a mouthful ; bulbous looking contraption awkward at minimum ...

B. Requires suck and blow

C. Am not wanting to creat a "novellty act" for a travelling carnival

Have you a singing voice? Considered whistling, perhaps? :lol: