Removing glue.

Someone had glued a gauze to the inside of the end-plates using liberal amounts of contact adhesive ( I think) and this glue is visible from the outside and unsightly.

I 'm wondering if I take off the bushing board, hand rest etc, is there something I can soak them in to remove the glue.

Thanks for any help.

Robin

Depends of the material the grill is made, and if it has some kind of lacker (sp?) or varnish.

If not, usually paint thinner - or turpentine - gives good results. As usually paint thinner is kind of greasy, after removing the adhesive I clean everything with alcohol 96º - the industrial one, not the one for the wounds... no, neither the drinkable one :P -.

Cheers,

Fer

I think I'd try a good soak in hot water and detergent before using solvents. After a soak a soft wire brush will probably clean up the inside surface nicely. Remove all the wooden parts first of course.

Try acetone - but as the other gentleman said, remove all of the wood first. Then a scrubbing in soap and hot water.

If it is contact adhesive remove all the wood and leather, lay a piece of rag or tissue on the glued area place inside a polythene bag and saturate the cloth with acetone leave the bag sealed for approx 1/2 hour the glue will then brush off easily with soap and water.Pretty much the same advice as above but thicker areas of glue need a little soaking to go nice and soft/rubbery.Regards David.

Hi Robin

If it were me, I'd remove all the non metal parts, and cut off the majority of the old glue with a razor blade, and then use a solvent called MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone to soften and remove the leftovers on the metal parts. MEK is the solvent used in old contact adhesives. The older the glue, the harder it is to remove, and MEK will soften it up. You may have to do it a couple of times. It evaporates and leaves no residue after removing the glue.

Thanks

Leo