40-button Wheatstone

Paul Read

I've got it on my "Watched" list. I don't suppose you care to reveal the reserve.

The most illogical thing to do would be to 'pay' for a reserve and then disclose it :-)

I've got it on my "Watched" list. I don't suppose you care to reveal the reserve.

The most illogical thing to do would be to 'pay' for a reserve and then disclose it :-)

Not necessarily. I sold my old Citroen van with a reserve on ebay and was quite happy to let people know what the reserve was so that they knew if it was within their price range or not. The reserve was there to make sure it didn't sell too cheaply. I guess I could have just used a higher starting price, but that tends to put some people off altogether and, once they are in there bidding, they somehow become more keen!

Pete

Correct! But it is quite low for this one.

Looks like a great instrument, but I never get used to the Ebay ways. Yesterday (2nd of June) the item was up to 520 USD. I placed a bid which never showed up and even the 520USD bid doesn't show in the bid history. It doesn't really matter now as it has jumped to over 600USD but it seems odd...

As this instrument has 40b does it have a "drone" button? And what's the button layout as to notes over the more common 30b?

The liraman

Edited by Liraman

Liraman,

The 40 button anglo C/G has a drone on the left hand which is controlled by the left thumb. The drone is usually C/C (C on the pull and C on the push).

One can find a chart and diagram on C.net of the 30 button and 40 button Wheatstone/Lachenal layout:

http://concertina.info/tina.faq/images/finger3.htm

A 40 button anglo concertina allows a person to play tunes in all 12 musical keys in chords and across rows. See a Youtube link of Manie Erasmus from South Africa playing a 40 button Wheatstone (1950's) across rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcmkm5MevI (Watch it in HQ...High Quality mode)

Edited by Ben Otto

Liraman,

The 40 button anglo C/G has a drone on the left hand which is controlled by the left thumb. The drone is usually C/C (C on the pull and C on the push).

One can find a chart and diagram on C.net of the 30 button and 40 button Wheatstone/Lachenal layout:

http://concertina.info/tina.faq/images/finger3.htm

A 40 button anglo concertina allows a person to play tunes in all 12 musical keys in chords and across rows. See a Youtube link of Manie Erasmus from South Africa playing a 40 button Wheatstone (1950's) across rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcmkm5MevI (Watch it in HQ...High Quality mode)

Thanks Ben Otto. I found the layout already, but the youtube film was a first. Great! My question about the drone button was because some players alter the drone to suit some other key they usually play in.

Edited by Liraman

A 40 button anglo concertina allows a person to play tunes in all 12 musical keys in chords and across rows.

Really ?

I do have a video clip of Manie Erasmus who demostrated this fact as ...he played one tune from one key to another key and then to another key...moving through all the musical keys.

Edited by Ben Otto

A 40 button anglo concertina allows a person to play tunes in all 12 musical keys in chords and across rows.

Really ?

I do have a video clip of Manie Erasmus who demostrated this fact as ...he played one tune from one key to another key and then to another key...moving through all the musical keys.

It would be intereseting to see that. Very impressive.

How about posting it on youtube?

Dave

Really ?

Sorry seemed to have clicked twice here....Not sure how to delete this post....

Edited by lawton_dave

Really ?

Yep! The 40 button Wheatstone layout is what John Kirkpatrick plays. He has told me that not only can he play in all keys but he has worked out how to play virtually all keys either all on the pull or all on the push.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I am still trying to find the video clip of Manie Erasmus going through all the scales....playing the same tune... Needless to say, I was totally mesmerized... relegating this event, in retrospect, to the level of phantasmagoria.

Edited by Ben Otto