why the standards are low in concertinas

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boney, I think you imagined the situations you described instead of living them.[...]most folk musicians of today are university professors or computer programmers, all had at least a few years of classical music tuition in the past.

I'm talking about folks like this, among others, all of whom I've played with, talked with, and danced to. They do not fit your description at all.

Foghorn Stringband

sammycaleb.jpg

The Macrae Sisters

l_bf86cf60ffe446bf820d762988445e55.jpg

The Tallboys

l_e7e6acd74d82ed9ebaf251f2529449f0.jpg

Boney, Always knew you had excellent taste. These folks are a treasure. All true to their tradition and yet, and yet...wonderfull. Thank you. I'm deeply moved.

Edited by Mark Evans

Added this one:

Notice the intonation and dynamics, notice the character and rhythm - simple folk tune, nothing high brow. Yet, a virtuoso!

Virtuoso? You're kidding!

Actually, I pretty sure you're not, but that video left me very unimpressed.

However, the "related" listings YouTube puts on the side led me to this Larry Adler number. :)

And one aspect of Larry's virtuosity is his versatility. Compare that video with

, or this one (where Larry mostly plays a supporting role).

Added this one:

Notice the intonation and dynamics, notice the character and rhythm - simple folk tune, nothing high brow. Yet, a virtuoso!

However, the "related" listings YouTube puts on the side led me to this Larry Adler number. :)

And one aspect of Larry's virtuosity is his versatility. Compare that video with

I generally dislike chromatic harmonica, but the guy is true master.

My example of bulgar/romanian "Yiddish" song on PA is that it's a folk tune, not a classical piece, and the player is a master. Usually these tunes sound boring and monotonic, endless chromatic doodling, much like too many Irish jigs and reels. And he was able to put dynamic composition to it. Note the venue: it's a nursing home, not Carnegie Hall.

I would ask you to review the clip and not judge it by your own aestetic taste. Just see how clean he sounds, how at ease he is with the instrument, how clear are dynamic accents. May be he puts accents where you wouldn't, but the accents themselves are well defined. I can find truly dazzling performances of the same genre, it's bread and butter of Russian accordionists, but it wasn't the point.

Rest is edited out upon second reading.

Edited by m3838

Added this one:

Thanks for Stardust Jim. Sadly I remember it the first time round

I may have a go at this one.

Al

Whether I like it is the issue....to me.

I'm not sure if I understood your post, especially the rest of it.

In any way, I collected some interesting comparison clips:

Air on G string, by J.S.Bach

concertina

bandonion

Bach Bouree

beginner accordion

advanced player

J.S.Bach, Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring

Concertina

Guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99SNb3TPagE...feature=related Guitar

accordion Edited by m3838