The Toyshop

Alan Day

A quick blast of The Toyshop another dredge up from the past. A really good fun tune with perhaps a slightly different second B part to what you know.

Sorry about the stomping. I forgot to take my shoes off. For a change played on my CG box

Al

Tune now deleted please contact me if you would like a copy

Edited by Alan Day

Nice tune! You could rest your feet on the dog if you have one. Mine likes that! I think it's legal.

I have five English Setters, so I have a choice.

Al

do you have five feet? that's two more than Jake the Peg. :blink:

Nice tune! You could rest your feet on the dog if you have one. Mine likes that! I think it's legal.

I have five English Setters, so I have a choice.

Al

do you have five feet? that's two more than Jake the Peg. :blink:

My feet are all over the place LDT and my poor setters would hate to be trampled on.

I did tell a story a long time ago on this site,when I put off any major jobs for a whole week owing to an important Gig on the Saturday. I was just getting ready to drive to it and the dogs started nagging for a walk. No harm there I thought. Half way down our garden two of the setters ran into my legs from behind and I did a full one and a half backward somersault and landed on my arm. For some reason my Wife thought this extremely funny and I must admit after checking that my arm was not broken I almost managed a smile. The dogs wondered why I was so slow getting up. They got their walk and the Gig was as good as I expected it would be.

Al

At least the dogs are under your feet!

What does one do with fascinated parrots?

Dave

:wub: What a beautiful parrot. I used to have a budgie that I trained myself. I could get him out, have him on my shoulder and he was so smart that he would go crawling down my back and on my arms. He was so cute; I plan to train another one like him again, since about 1 year ago, my 5-y-o brother set him free. (He's nick-named 'The Animal Liberationist.' He's set free a number of our budgies.)

Sincere Regards,

Patrick

P.S. That recording is fun. Makes me feel jolly. :D

Edited by Patrick King

Dave

:wub: What a beautiful parrot. I used to have a budgie that I trained myself. I could get him out, have him on my shoulder and he was so smart that he would go crawling down my back and on my arms. He was so cute; I plan to train another one like him again, since about 1 year ago, my 5-y-o brother set him free. (He's nick-named 'The Animal Liberationist.' He's set free a number of our budgies.)

Sincere Regards,

Patrick

Hey Patrick... He is a Green cheek conure... my daughter breeds them. This one is the last of the last batch of babies that were hand reared. Very friendly and affectionate. He is one who seems to love the conca!

He gets very chirpy when the concertina comes out, and if out of the cage soon lands on my shoulder (along with Bob the budgie, another of our fine feathered friends) to chirp and be very involved.

Sometimes it gets a bit over crowded <_<

Dave

Dave

Sincere Regards,

Patrick

Hey Patrick... He is a Green cheek conure... my daughter breeds them. This one is the last of the last batch of babies that were hand reared. Very friendly and affectionate. He is one who seems to love the conca!

He gets very chirpy when the concertina comes out, and if out of the cage soon lands on my shoulder (along with Bob the budgie, another of our fine feathered friends) to chirp and be very involved.

Sometimes it gets a bit over crowded <_<

Dave

Hi Dave,

I bet it would be nice to have an animal that loves your concertina; that even pecks at it. :lol:

Our budgies at the moment, (they aren't trained; but my next one will be trained by me) love to be around the native birds. They don't go too close to the native birds, but when ever they see one and it's chirping or whatever, the budgies join in also. It's like all birds have their own one language that they communicate with; which I guess they have.

Cheers,

Patrick

P.S. I never got a picture of my first budgie that I tamed myself. -_- His name was "Love." :wub:

...............while we are on the subject..... I was about to post this pic. on a different thread ( repairs etc) when I noticed a dog emerging from one of the end plates ! Robin

been keeping the dog in your concertina?

Getting back to the tune....!

Al's take is a fine example of how a tune takes on a life. The tune comes from a recording of a barrel organ and was introduced to the Ship session at Sidmouth in the 70s by Roger Edwards and Martin Ellison. Then it took flight on its own path.

When Dan Quinn tried to find out more for the liner notes on Reformed Characters he drew a complete blank and it seems to me that the various sets of abc notes that are available all derive from the Sidmouth base.

I will bet my bellows that this is not a traditional tune so there must be written music out there somewhere. If any tune-sleuths can track it down I'd be really interested to hear. You'll need to replace the preposition in the title; 'IN The Toyshop'.

Perhaps, Al, we can mangle it together at Bradfield!

Best wishes,

Roger

Getting back to the tune....!

Al's take is a fine example of how a tune takes on a life. The tune comes from a recording of a barrel organ and was introduced to the Ship session at Sidmouth in the 70s by Roger Edwards and Martin Ellison. Then it took flight on its own path.

When Dan Quinn tried to find out more for the liner notes on Reformed Characters he drew a complete blank and it seems to me that the various sets of abc notes that are available all derive from the Sidmouth base.

I will bet my bellows that this is not a traditional tune so there must be written music out there somewhere. If any tune-sleuths can track it down I'd be really interested to hear. You'll need to replace the preposition in the title; 'IN The Toyshop'.

Perhaps, Al, we can mangle it together at Bradfield!

Best wishes,

Roger

To carry this life further, Nick Barber approached us a while ago (X members of The Biggest Trio in the World) to find out the details of the third part of this tune ,( most only know two parts) as he was then compiling an English Session Tune Book, which I understand is now available. I have no idea how we arrived at the third part and I must confess here that I am a bit concerned that I have it right,it was at least twenty five years ago that I played it.

I look forward to a Duet of "IN The Toyshop" with you at Bradfield where perhaps we can dredge up a few more of these oldies. I also look forward to the second discussion of The Concertina Council" which you chaired so excellently last year.

Al

A quick blast of The Toyshop another dredge up from the past. A really good fun tune with perhaps a slightly different second B part to what you know.

Sorry about the stomping. I forgot to take my shoes off. For a change played on my CG box

Al

Would you have the sheet-music available for this, Alan?

I might be daring enough to try it out. ;)

Cheers,

Patrick

Al

Cheers,

Patrick

The only dots that I know exist Patrick are in the Nick Barber English Session Tune Book.

Al

• 1 month later...

Al

Cheers,

Patrick

The only dots that I know exist Patrick are in the Nick Barber English Session Tune Book.

Al

I have no music for it, (but it is definitely in Nick Barbers book), however I do have words to go with it. I learnt the tune from the playing of the catsfield steamers about 15 years ago, and their caller, Jane Downes, is a rather good singer/songwriter and came up with three verses of ratehr extraordinary words for this tune.

I'm no singer though, so I doubt I'll be trying the tongue twister that is these words whilst playing the tune!