Wheatstone 81 key Maccann duet on Ebay

Irene S.

This rather large and interesting 81 key beast is up for auction on ebay ... auction closes on 30th May.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amazing,-Rare-Wheats...241310002r33148

All the dedicated, diehard Maccann players in the world, and nobody bid on this?

Maybe the playability of even the Maccann system runs out after about 72 keys?

I do hear that Maccann handles higher button count better than Crane (gets too "tall" or Hayden (corners are hard to reach).

Or maybe this beast is just too big and heavy for anyone to enjoy playing?

I'm not razzing the Macccann community -- just surprised that nobody jumped on this opportunity.

And I've seen lots uglier ;) --Mike K.

This rather large and interesting 81 key beast is up for auction on ebay ... auction closes on 30th May.

All the dedicated, diehard Maccann players in the world, and nobody bid on this?

I do hear that Maccann handles higher button count better than Crane (gets too "tall" or Hayden (corners are hard to reach).

I'm not razzing the Macccann community -- just surprised that nobody jumped on this opportunity.

Yeah, but ugly AND expensive?

I think.... that at 2500 pounds, it certainly wasn't a bargain. A limited market, of Maccann players in the world, very big and heavy by the looks of it.... and then an unusual beast on top of that... I think the seller was a touch optimistic and priced people out of bidding.

Dave

This rather large and interesting 81 key beast is up for auction on ebay ... auction closes on 30th May.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amazing,-Rare-Wheats...241310002r33148

Though I don't (yet?) count myself a member of "the Macccann community", it did arouse my interest.

But at the moment I'm rather tight for both money and time. :(

Besides, I already have one, though mine is the standard Æola octagon in shape. :)

I think.... that at 2500 pounds, it certainly wasn't a bargain. A limited market, of Maccann players in the world, very big and heavy by the looks of it.... and then an unusual beast on top of that... I think the seller was a touch optimistic and priced people out of bidding.

Dave

Hmmm ... I keep forgetting that in Maccann and Crane/Triumph terms, L2500 (about $4000) is considered expensive, even for a big (over 60 keys) Duet.

Hayden players would be happy to see a quality instrument of 52 or even 46 keys for a "mere" $4K.

52 keys hybrid right now costs about $4800. Right now Hayden players outnumber boxes.

Someday our great-grandkids will enjoy the now-vintage Haydens -- after they finish paying for the bailout :huh:

Closed with zero bids. It looks good just the way it is. I hope he doesn't paint it white, add sequins and rhinestones, and call it Polka ready, although in the Upper Middle US, it might just sell.

Thanks

Leo

• Haha 1

I've been making a half hearted attempt to acquire this one as a step on from the 71. The stumbling block is I can't see a rare collectors piece.

All I can see is a raised end 81. By 1918 a raised end duet is what you bought if you couldn't run to the Aeola model. They are lower spec., still good instruments, but not aeolas.

Chris doesn't actually claim anything, but mentions that Honri is pictured with a similar 'box and leaves you to your conclusions. Honri is pictured with a 'box like this, yes, but many years earlier, before the aeola models came out. At that point the raised end was top of the range and that is what the successful performer would have bought. However, by the time this one was made Mr Honri had a nice aeola, (or two?) thank you very much, and would not have been seen with something as down-market or old hat as this.

It is an 81 and, I am told by people I trust, a decent instrument, that much I like, but it's not from the top drawer of Prof. Wheatstone's family. I think it's an ugly brute too; I don't mind the ebony, it's that nearly rectangular shape which makes it look like a concertina version of the Incredible Hulk. I can live with the cosmetics, but all my calculations include the question 'If I did get it, would I ever be able to sell it on if I wanted to?'

Complicated, this sort of thing.

The stumbling block is I can't see a rare collectors piece.

Or is it unique? (At least, I've certainly never seen another Wheatstone duet like it. :blink: )

All I can see is a raised end 81. By 1918 a raised end duet is what you bought if you couldn't run to the Aeola model. They are lower spec., still good instruments, but not aeolas.

But according to the ledgers, it (#27762) is an Æola!

As Chris quotes, the entry says No. 41 Duet Octo (Cottage) 81 keys, and though it obviously isn't octagonal, No. 41 is the code for an 81-key Æola duet... :huh:

Chris doesn't actually claim anything, but mentions that Honri is pictured with a similar 'box and leaves you to your conclusions. Honri is pictured with a 'box like this, yes, but many years earlier, before the aeola models came out. At that point the raised end was top of the range and that is what the successful performer would have bought. However, by the time this one was made Mr Honri had a nice aeola, (or two?) thank you very much, and would not have been seen with something as down-market or old hat as this.

Yes, though the one(s) Honri had in the 1890s would've been Lachenal New Models, whilst instruments made for Percy Honri are usually noted (Honri) in the Wheatstone ledgers - which may beg the question "Who was (Cottage)?" :unsure: