Wheatstone English In Auction

Alan Day

Tenor/trebles are greatly sought after but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this one goes for quite a modest price unless a collector wants it. A heavy sixty four key tenor/treble that attracts bats isn't what most players are looking for, in this country at least.

The difference in weight between a 64-button tenor-treble and a 56-button TT is much smaller than the difference between a 56-button TT and a 48-button treble. TT's are hard enough to find that I wouldn't think having those extra notes at the top should put somebody off, if they're willing to accept the weight of a TT in the first place. They can always ignore them, if they want.

[but my 64-button tenor-treble Æola is the same size as my friend's 56-button one, so the body, bellows, and ends of those two weigh pretty much the same.) There have been posts in previous threads with weight comparisons. I don't have time to hunt them out now, but you could try to find them using the Search facility here.

I've had a search and found this, from Tallship:

Sally's wooden ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1124g. My metal ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1250g. My tenor/treble Æola weighs in at a hefty 1918g!

So abit more than 50% heavier...

Edited by P Carr

[but my 64-button tenor-treble Æola is the same size as my friend's 56-button one, so the body, bellows, and ends of those two weigh pretty much the same.) There have been posts in previous threads with weight comparisons. I don't have time to hunt them out now, but you could try to find them using the Search facility here.

I've had a search and found this, from Tallship:

Sally's wooden ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1124g. My metal ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1250g. My tenor/treble Æola weighs in at a hefty 1918g!

So abit more than 50% heavier...

Hmm. Were the other two also Æolas? Did the TT have wooden or metal ends?

I have previously reported on two Crane-sytem duets I have, a 48-button mahogany-ended Crane Bros. (really made by Lachenal) and a 55-button ebony-ended Lachenal New Model, both with 6-fold bellows. The ends of the two have identical cross-sections and they weigh the same to within a couple of grams, though the New Model has 7 more reeds (some in each hand), levers, pads, chambers,etc.

I think there's also a table of reported weights (mostly anglo?) somewhere on concertina.net, which indicates a wide variation for any given range and number of buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
Hammer price £2200 (plus sales commission)

Any body here purchased it?

Al

Not me for sure, I'm truly surprised by the sales price because commission is generally set at 20% and I wouldn't have thought this to be so desirable. We live and learn.

• 3 months later...

Al

Well, my estimate of £2000-£3000, depending on condition, wasn't far wrong. It seems Chris Algar successfully bid for it via telephone, with a customer in mind. Ironically, that same customer bid on it via telephone too, and unknown to him, found himself competing with Chris. Having lost out to Chris, he ended up buying it from Chris, who presumably contacted him afterwards to let him know that he at last found him a tenor-treble! I guess he ended up paying quite a bit more for it as a result.

Chris

Al

Well, my estimate of £2000-£3000, depending on condition, wasn't far wrong. It seems Chris Algar successfully bid for it via telephone, with a customer in mind. Ironically, that same customer bid on it via telephone too, and unknown to him, found himself competing with Chris. Having lost out to Chris, he ended up buying it from Chris, who presumably contacted him afterwards to let him know that he at last found him a tenor-treble! I guess he ended up paying quite a bit more for it as a result.

Chris

That's a really unfortunate deal for this chap.

Ian

Read about it over on this thread.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9961

As I said over there:- "What I ended up with may not be a bargain, and had we not been bidding against each other I might have got it for less (not much , judging by the Flog it footage), but what I ended up with is a truly magnificent TT. Our man got a bit extra for his pains, and I got a gorgeous Aeola TT. "

I don't feel in the least unfortunate.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

Read about it over on this thread.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9961

As I said over there:- "What I ended up with may not be a bargain, and had we not been bidding against each other I might have got it for less (not much , judging by the Flog it footage), but what I ended up with is a truly magnificent TT. Our man got a bit extra for his pains, and I got a gorgeous Aeola TT. "

I don't feel in the least unfortunate.

Simon

Hey Simon, it's only money after all & surely the cost only really matters, if you are actually dealing in the darn things & only buying it, to sell it on.

These days especially, what good is money, when it's just lying in the bank!

That's a great photo you posted on the other thread ............. now what we need is a YouTube of it in action? ;)

Cheers

Dick