Identification, Please?

Does anyone have an idea of who might have made this and approx. age? It is a 26 button anglo, 13 centimeters across the flats with 6 fold bellows. The only marking both in pencil and stamped is "32 D." With hexagonal case. Thanks - Mike

Wow! Too cool, Mike!

I'm assuming to see reeds riveted to a metal reed plate and a separate pan to provide chambers!? Neat!

I'd like to see a different angle on the action posts. If they have the shape of capital "G" I'd start thinking Nickolds with the fretwork style. But I don't know how the reed plate and chambers fit into an english maker's design.

How does it sound?

Greg

Wow! Too cool, Mike!

I'm assuming to see reeds riveted to a metal reed plate and a separate pan to provide chambers!? Neat!

I'd like to see a different angle on the action posts. If they have the shape of capital "G" I'd start thinking Nickolds with the fretwork style. But I don't know how the reed plate and chambers fit into an english maker's design.

How does it sound?

Greg

Greg, the action posts are as you describe. I'm afraid I can't get much sound out of it at the moment. I'll attend to that. This was found by an antique dealer friend of mine, who passed it on to me. Together, neither one of us knows anything about it. It's a cute little thing. Mike

Oh wow, another one of these! :blink:

I've made reference to the one I've got in the thread The Single Reed Plate, May be of interest, and I've since shown it to Geoff Crabb.

I thought it was a unique survivor until now. :huh:

... I'd start thinking Nickolds with the fretwork style.

Well that's who I've been "blaming" for them anyway... ;)

There was one of these at the Dippers about 5 or 6 years ago when we had some fun looking at nonstandard designs. As I remember it, it was unsigned but I was speculating Nickolds & Crabb.

I am pretty sure I posted about it on this forum somewhere, possibly in connection to a similar "new" one-plate-per-end english concertina prototype shown in the old Concertina & Squeezebox magazine.

Anyway, unless the one Stephen bought is the same one that had been at the Dippers, there must have been at least three of the type shown in the OP.

PG

Wow! Too cool, Mike!

How does it sound?

Greg

Thanks to all for the input. It is in surprisingly good condition. Clean, no corrosion, no missing fretwork. It must have been stored away most of its life. The chamois around the chambers should probably be replaced; so not all reeds are sounding yet, but it has a charming tone (it's been waiting a long time to speak again). Tuning one of these things must have been a feat of acrobatics, but it was clearly done as evidenced by the scratch marks on the reed plate, which match the radial pattern of the reeds. Mike