Jackie :Tightening thumb strap

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this question (been debating where to put it)

I've been the proud owner of a new Jackie for 3 days now, bought after much reading the advice on here. I'm enjoying my first steps but for one problem.

I think the thumb strap is far too loose. The tutor book says you can tighten it but how?

There is a round 'screw' holding the strap in position, ones to tight to budge without pliers (have't tried) the other can be unscrewed but doesn't come all the way out so you can't take the strap off to make another hole. The only thing I can think to do is to slit the leather, slide it along and then retighen the screw.

At the moment I'm taking up the slack with a bit of folded felt but that keeps needing adjusting and is obviously not a permanent solution.

Any experts able to help?

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this question (been debating where to put it)

I've been the proud owner of a new Jackie for 3 days now, bought after much reading the advice on here. I'm enjoying my first steps but for one problem.

I think the thumb strap is far too loose. The tutor book says you can tighten it but how?

There is a round 'screw' holding the strap in position, ones to tight to budge without pliers (have't tried) the other can be unscrewed but doesn't come all the way out so you can't take the strap off to make another hole. The only thing I can think to do is to slit the leather, slide it along and then retighen the screw.

At the moment I'm taking up the slack with a bit of folded felt but that keeps needing adjusting and is obviously not a permanent solution.

Any experts able to help?

The screws should come all the way out; otherwise the thumbstraps could not have been attached in the first place.

The screws are probably just a very stiff fit and you are probably being over-cautious with the amount of force you are applying. If you use pliers to grip the knurled screwhead, protect the screw and the concertina body with a small piece of chamois leather - use the pliers over the leather.

Alternatively, if you are still dubious and not confident, and you are within reach of the shop where you bought it, take back and let them loosen and adjust the screws for you.

Thankyou,

I think you were right, lack of confidence. I got husband to do the deed, they did need pliers. I can now go back to my attempts at 'The Ash Grove', hopefully I'll have improved overnight!