Excellent Indian food and recording...yeah!

Filled with excellent Indian delights, my chums, The Wizzards of the Plectral Arts and I have been mucking about in my office after hours...recording. It has been a lot of fun. Greg Bacon has posted something about it and a recording. They set the tempo on this one and pushed me and the Albion like a rented mule...

http://www.baconworks.com/archives/998

Edited by Mark Evans

Hold on; so you are really the White Rabbit and you've been playing a button accordion all these years? Or is that another Mark?

If you have been playing a button accordion all these years while telling us it was a concertina don't you think you should feel a little guilty?

Hold on; so you are really the White Rabbit and you've been playing a button accordion all these years? Or is that another Mark?

If you have been playing a button accordion all these years while telling us it was a concertina don't you think you should feel a little guilty?

I am the White Rabbit and many years ago I did play the button accordion...my touch was anything but nice. :(

It just opens a free reeders eyes. Our colleagues don't really think about the difference. Kinda takes the wind outta yer sails.

Lovely stuff. Not the kind of music I normally listen to at all, but you can just hear what a great time you had making that. B)

Sorry, forgot my manners; should have added more or less exactly this sentiment to my post too.

Lovely stuff. Not the kind of music I normally listen to at all, but you can just hear what a great time you had making that. B)

Sorry, forgot my manners; should have added more or less exactly this sentiment to my post too.

Thank you kind sirs. We've other stuff coming out....English, Scottish and American trad. Greg is quite the tune smith and we've ruined a couple of his as well.

Filled with excellent Indian delights, my chums, The Wizzards of the Plectral Arts and I have been mucking about in my office after hours...recording. It has been a lot of fun. Greg Bacon has posted something about it and a recording. They set the tempo on this one and pushed me and the Albion like a rented mule...

http://www.baconworks.com/archives/998

Well done! Encore!

so, if i'm reading correctly, you have three copies of the the anglo recording in the mix? however you did it, it sounds good to me!

David, on all things technical I'm as dumb as a sack of hammers. Haven't a clue as to what Greg is taking about. He would have like to have had two mics closer to the instrument and another up higher to catch the reverb of the hall, so this other is hocus-pocus to get the same effect.

I think you're pulling my chain a bit and I appreciate the complement, but I recorded this on an English.

Great playing and arrangement Mark. You could not have received my Email that requested this be part of your CD

Al

No, I didn't. At any rate, I don't think Greg and George invision a hard copy CD at all. They've been talking about Itunes. There are many other cuts from the two sessions and I believe there will be a third and forth. Greg's learning curve on recording tech is so short though. The quality of the sound did a monster leap from the first session on the instruments and just overall sheen of the sound.

Thank you Danny. You are very kind.

You might consider making podcasts of your stuff. I use this (free) site: -

http://www.podomatic.com/home

The beauty of podcasts is that people can subscribe to it on their iTunes, and then every time you post up something new, it downloads automatically. Also, podomatic has an iTunes-friendly interface so it's really easy to download individual tunes.

so, if i'm reading correctly, you have three copies of the the anglo recording in the mix? however you did it, it sounds good to me!

David, on all things technical I'm as dumb as a sack of hammers. Haven't a clue as to what Greg is taking about. He would have like to have had two mics closer to the instrument and another up higher to catch the reverb of the hall, so this other is hocus-pocus to get the same effect.

I think you're pulling my chain a bit and I appreciate the complement, but I recorded this on an English.

Well done too. It's wonderful to hear an english played this way.

not at all! and you fooled me. i thought it was anglo. on your website, is that you playing fiddle as well?

Ah, if only. At age 10 I was given a concertina instead of the fiddle. It's just concertina and banjo....What an anti-social combination :(

I'm very pleased some thought it might have been an anlgo. Honestly I've rejected trying to play an English like an Anglo, as I think it is impossible. My focus is to honor the music I'm playing without planning what will happen. "Swagger" was the word that rang out in my mind as they started. Playing within their backing was like riding a very fast, strong horse that's ready for anything. Their playing was literally raising the hair on my neck.

Both Greg and George won't put up with much rehearsal as they pretty much live in the musical moment and seem completely fearless.

Our planning before we started each set consisted of: Wadda ya wanna do? How many times through each? Whose gonna start? My only plan was to listen to my wife's sage advice: "Recording is not about being correct, it's about letting go."

You might consider making podcasts of your stuff. I use this (free) site: -

http://www.podomatic.com/home

The beauty of podcasts is that people can subscribe to it on their iTunes, and then every time you post up something new, it downloads automatically. Also, podomatic has an iTunes-friendly interface so it's really easy to download individual tunes.

... except I just had another look at the site, and you've got a podcast going already. :blink:

Just downloaded a load of your stuff into iTunes -- cheers B)

Having been playing the English for, er, about 2 days now (yeah, I've crossed over to the Dark Side :lol: ), I'm intrigued and inspired by the sound and feel you get on those recordings.

not at all! and you fooled me. i thought it was anglo. on your website, is that you playing fiddle as well?

Ah, if only. At age 10 I was given a concertina instead of the fiddle. It's just concertina and banjo....What an anti-social combination :(

I'm very pleased some thought it might have been an anlgo. Honestly I've rejected trying to play an English like an Anglo, as I think it is impossible. My focus is to honor the music I'm playing without planning what will happen. "Swagger" was the word that rang out in my mind as they started. Playing within their backing was like riding a very fast, strong horse that's ready for anything. Their playing was literally raising the hair on my neck.

Both Greg and George won't put up with much rehearsal as they pretty much live in the musical moment and seem completely fearless.

Our planning before we started each set consisted of: Wadda ya wanna do? How many times through each? Whose gonna start? My only plan was to listen to my wife's sage advice: "Recording is not about being correct, it's about letting go."

i wish i had been given a concertina at the age of 10! shoot, what about lessons? i feel like i have been playing music so long, but that i am just so far behind how i should be.

you could trick them into practicing by just doing a lot of "recordings" every week.