What Have I DONE?

* Then again you could always convert it to a 35 key Anglo and sell it for loadsamoney! :rolleyes:

What a horrible thought.... mutilating a lovely Crane into an Anglo :o

If you ever decide to send it on its way, I'll give it a good home... and I'll play it too!! (But only if it's still a Crane) :P

I bought this Lachenal, Crane duet for 350 GBP or $536. Feel free to give your opinions, good or bad.

Be kind, I'm the #%&* sensative type ye know. :angry:

drbones,

Just to get back on topic: What you've done is let yourself in for some delightful musical moments. :rolleyes:

Like you, I've upgraded (and I use the word deliberately) from Anglo to Crane. I'm having a quiet afternoon, and I took out my Crane/Triumph and noodled around a bit - scales, chords and little improvised melodies in G major.

Then the notion took me to switch to G minor for a bit - scales, chords and little improvised melodies - and it's amazingly easy! All of a sudden I was playing in three flats, with no trouble at all. Melody, chords - the works. And no button layout diagrams, no slide-rule, no swapping between a C/G and an Eb/Ab. For an old Angloist, that's mind-blowing!

The Crane is the freedom of the chromatic seas after the confines of the diatonic backwater. Something for an old pirate like yourself ;)

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

drbones,

Give me a shout if you decide it's not for you. I've been trying to attempt my Lutheran Hymnal on my Jack Baritone and think I might need to switch to Duet for that. Didn't Salvation Army like the Crane system for sacred music?

Rod Wagoner

Tucson, AZ

I've been trying to attempt my Lutheran Hymnal on my Jack Baritone and think I might need to switch to Duet for that. Didn't Salvation Army like the Crane system for sacred music?

Rod,

Absolutely!

You remind me of my very first childhood experience of public music. With the aim of giving me a Christian upbringing without boring me with Church services, my mother took me to the Salvation Army Citadel on Sunday mornings. There's nothing like watching people playing live music to fascinate a child of 5 or 6, as I was at that time (over half a century ago!)

(OK, there's live music in Church as well, but you never get to see the organist playing ;) )

At "our" Citadel, there was a clear division of musical roles: the brass band was responsible for leading the solemn or rousing songs - but the Captain's Crane/Triumph concertina came into play for the short, spontaneous, meditative Gospel choruses that were popular in evangelical circles at that time. This was what got me absolutely hooked on the sound of the concertina, and for the last half century I've been working towards that ideal. Now, thanks to the marvel of Internet, I have managed to obtain a genuine ex-S.A. Lachenal 48-key Crane - it even has the "Triumph" brand name on the straps.

This early experience also left me with a keen appreciation of brass-band music, but I've never had the opportunity to get involved with it actively. So many instruments - so little time! :( At least my son gave me the pleasure of electing to take up the trombone :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

I've been trying to attempt my Lutheran Hymnal on my Jack Baritone and think I might need to switch to Duet for that. Didn't Salvation Army like the Crane system for sacred music?

Rod,

Absolutely!

You remind me of my very first childhood experience of public music. With the aim of giving me a Christian upbringing without boring me with Church services, my mother took me to the Salvation Army Citadel on Sunday mornings. There's nothing like watching people playing live music to fascinate a child of 5 or 6, as I was at that time (over half a century ago!)

(OK, there's live music in Church as well, but you never get to see the organist playing ;) )

At "our" Citadel, there was a clear division of musical roles: the brass band was responsible for leading the solemn or rousing songs - but the Captain's Crane/Triumph concertina came into play for the short, spontaneous, meditative Gospel choruses that were popular in evangelical circles at that time. This was what got me absolutely hooked on the sound of the concertina, and for the last half century I've been working towards that ideal. Now, thanks to the marvel of Internet, I have managed to obtain a genuine ex-S.A. Lachenal 48-key Crane - it even has the "Triumph" brand name on the straps.

This early experience also left me with a keen appreciation of brass-band music, but I've never had the opportunity to get involved with it actively. So many instruments - so little time! :( At least my son gave me the pleasure of electing to take up the trombone :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

John,

Good on you for geeing an S.A. Crane. Like most things you want, it will eventually come your way when the time is right.

I did manage to get a pretty full dose of band and orchestra music growing up and in college. It was music history that exposed me to the church's role in it. As to hymns, we used to sight sing them acapella on Thursday nights, just for practice. I haven't done that in a while, either :lol:

I won't tell about your half-century plus if you don't tell about mine!

Rod

Cheers,

John

All together now:

SAAAAAAAAALvation band and the big bass drum

And the music fair goes through ya

With their "Onward Christian Soldiers"

And their "Glory, Hallelujah!"

jdms

Cheers,

John

All together now:

SAAAAAAAAALvation band and the big bass drum

And the music fair goes through ya

With their "Onward Christian Soldiers"

And their "Glory, Hallelujah!"

jdms

Good one! :lol: :D