The Old Bush

michael sam wild

I've just spent a rainy afternoon off the allotment playing along to Padraig Rynne on his Bye a While CD. The Old Bush is a lovely slow reel in Am Dorian.

I also played along to faster versions by Micheal 'O'Reiley' (can't spell it in Irish) and also Aogan Lynch but the pace seemed to iron out all the nuances. I love the laid back slower version which allows lots more embellishments.

Has anyone any info on its origin. ( it's not the Old Bushmills whisky is it?)

By the way, when I met him in Ennis in the 90s when he was with the young band, Turas, he had a Shakespeare concertina, what's the story about that instrument? He was a knockout then!

• 3 years later...

I've just spent a rainy afternoon off the allotment playing along to Padraig Rynne on his Bye a While CD. The Old Bush is a lovely slow reel in Am Dorian.

I also played along to faster versions by Micheal 'O'Reiley' (can't spell it in Irish) and also Aogan Lynch but the pace seemed to iron out all the nuances. I love the laid back slower version which allows lots more embellishments.

Has anyone any info on its origin. ( it's not the Old Bushmills whisky is it?)

By the way, when I met him in Ennis in the 90s when he was with the young band, Turas, he had a Shakespeare concertina, what's the story about that instrument? He was a knockout then!

Reviving the dead, me!

I've been listening to and learning this self same tune of late (3 years after the OP!) and I definitely agree--Rynne's version is really great. It's a great tune anyway. The guitar on Rynne's version is really wonderful too.

Sorry I can't answer your question. But I have one for you--do you do alot of cross row fingering on this tune or what? I learned it on whistle first (OAIM lesson) and just tried it out on concertina today for the first time.

ff

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting resurrection! I returned to The Old Bush (Granny's Fanny as my friend calls it, this is England ;) ) on anothe rrainy day earlier in the Autumn. It's also called Captain Rock, and The Long Hills of Mourne It was played on a Michael Coleman 78 with Tom Morrison and is in O'Neill. I like it in Amin or D min. You can play it 'old style' along the rows but In prefer across the rows as it can use F,F#, C, C# in places. It seems to move around 'Cneutral' on Tommy Potts version on The Liffey Banks record.(Track 14) in Brethneach the source is Sean Potts, piper.

Played slower it feels like another reel does, Castkle Kelly and makes a satisfying air. I still wonder if there was a New Bush with which it was compared.

Edited by michael sam wild

Origin

A Bushmills acquaintance suggests:

Varietal of Bushmills whiskey frequently referred to as "Black" Bush but

> never heard any reference to "Old" Bush. Old Bushmills, of course, but

> Old Bush, never.

>

> It could of course refer to the River Bush as in a fond endearing manner.

>

> But more probable it refers to just an old bush (small tree) someone was

> enamoured with. It happens in the remoter places and is still legal in

> parts of Sligo. Of course I don't know for sure personally but friends of

> friends have led me to believe.

>

> I would say if you found the words to the tune you might have a clue.

>

> P.S. the River Bush (well, on its banks) was where one of Irelands

> greatest renowned bards / poets Amergin lived. So to avoid title

> ambiguity (or enhance it) the tune could be recalled "Amergin's Fancy" and

> those in the know would understand that referred to the aul bards

> favourite tipple - Old Bush.

>

> I'm sure that all helps.

end of comment

>

>