Looking for minor tunes to play on C/G Anglo

Taggart King

HI,

I have spent many happy hours reading the messages on this forum and have found it to be a real mine of information. This is the first time that I have posted a message myself and I am hoping that some of you will be able to help me.

I want to investigate playing Minor, modal, English folk tunes on my 30 button C/G anglo:

Am Aeolian on the C row/scale

Em Aeolian on the G row/scale

Dm Dorian on the C row/scale

Am Dorian on the G row/scale

Em Dorian on the D scale

I have just been through five whole collections of English traditional tunes and have only come up with a handful of examples, mainly in Am and Em Aeolian, a couple in Am Dorian and one Em Dorian.

The only Dm tunes I could find were Aeolian, in the F major scale, with Bb, rather than Dorian with B natural that you could play on the C scale/row.

So can any of you suggest some names of modal English tunes for me to look up, please? :blink:

Many thanks,

Taggart

Edited by Taggart King

Hi,

Your best source for these tunes is probably pipe tune books.

One excellent one with mostly tunes in Dorian A is: "The Wild Hills o'Wannies (and other tunes in A and E minor

arranged as duets and trios for Northumbrian Smallpipes and other instruments)" Derek Hobbs 1999

Rossleigh Music

Rossleigh House

Windsor Terrace

Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Northumberland

NE64 6UJ

Another wonderful book with tunes in a variety of modes is "Three Extraordinary Collections -

Early 18th Century Dance Music for Those That Play Publick"

Compiled and Edited by Pete Stewart (www.hornpipemusic.co.uk)

Contact me if you have any problems finding them

Gill

Thank you all for your help, that is great.

Yes, I do have Bb in my accidentals row, but this isn't just an exercise: I want to gain experience in playing tunes in these modes, and I wanted to add some more minor tunes to my collection since most of the tunes I have access to are Major.

Best wishes,

Taggart ;)

You may (or may not) enjoy Archie Minor me playing on Utube

Played on my GD box, but I can send you a CG version if transposing is a problem, just send me your Email address and I will record it and send it as MP3

Al

You may (or may not) enjoy Archie Minor me playing on Utube

Played on my GD box, but I can send you a CG version if transposing is a problem, just send me your Email address and I will record it and send it as MP3

Al

What a wonderful tune, Alan. Thank you for that. If you could record it on a C/G and send it to taggart[at]reiki-evolution.co.uk that would be great, if you have the time.

Best wishes,

Taggart

• 4 weeks later...

Right, I am now the pround owner of the Playford tunes, The Wild Hills o'Wannies and Three Extraordinary Collections, so I'm all set for the next decade!

Many thanks to everyone who recommended these.

Best wishes,

Taggart

Hello Taggart,

Maybe for a future decade, another source with 996 tunes collected in Amsterdam around 1700 are the

Oude en Nieuwe Hollantse Boerenlieties en Contredansen. It contains a lot of folk song tunes and country dances, the music can be compared to the Playford dance master, but there are no dance instructions.

I have put 4 minorish tunes on youtube that I know from this book:

;
;
;
; Sorry if the sound quality is low on some tunes.

You can download a PDF file with all tunes in contemporary notation and it is ready to print. There is also an ABC file with all tunes. His main page is here.

The bulk of the tunes has been entered correctly, many credits to Simon Plantinga who did a great job there. If you have doubts about a tune, drop me a line as I have a copy of the original.

Happy squeezing,

Marien

Right, I am now the pround owner of the Playford tunes, The Wild Hills o'Wannies and Three Extraordinary Collections, so I'm all set for the next decade!

Many thanks to everyone who recommended these.

Best wishes,

Taggart

Hello Taggart,

Maybe for a future decade, another source with 996 tunes collected in Amsterdam around 1700 are the

Oude en Nieuwe Hollantse Boerenlieties en Contredansen. It contains a lot of folk song tunes and country dances, the music can be compared to the Playford dance master, but there are no dance instructions.

Happy squeezing,

Marien

Wow, that is wonderful, Marien, thank you.

Best wishes,

Taggart